CFR 2007 Wrapup

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin24

IBA# 446
Reaction score
On Thursday morning FJRPierre and CanadianFJR arrived at my place and we had a great ride across to the rally. Warm temps and clear skies the whole way. Thursday evening was spent around the back reclining on the Muskoka Chairs and enjoying each others company.

On Friday Torch took a small group out for a ride on local roads. I hung back to greet the riders as they arrived. The weather was great for most of the day but rain started to move in as evening approached.

Overnight Friday was wet and windy, but by Saturday morning the system had mostly moved off. Riders broke off into various groups. Some went north to see the Vintage Races at North Bay. Another group led by BugR headed East and south covering a great number of windy, gnarly, twisty back roads. I led a small contingent across to Parry Sound. We split into two groups their and carried on around the Muskoka Lakes area. And finally Jrdl14 and his guest took off to try the Chi-Cheemaun ferry loop. I told them it was doable in a day; But they had to make the 1:30 sailing from South Baymouth to ensure they would be back in time for the group photo and dinner. Alas, they missed the 1:30 and had to catch a later ferry. They wouldn't make it back in time for the picture or dinner. But they had a great time on the loop nonetheless.

We had one incident on Saturday. A combination of an unexpected turn and a rather large patch of sand caused him to put the bike down. After a trip to the hospital no injuries other than sore muscles. The right side of the bike is scraped up, but was easily ridden back to the hotel then home on Sunday.

Saturday night everyone was forcibly organized and the group picture was taken care of. After that we all ambled over to Kelsey's for the Saturday night banquet.

Sunday morning most riders were up early and packing their bikes to start heading for home. CanadianFJR was up and out the door by 7:00 am and made it back to Nova Scotia by a little after midnite.

Now that the 1st CFR rally is finished I would like to take an opportunity to thank everyone for making it such a great success. I had a great time and everyone I talked to was of the same opinion. All were looking forward to next years event. So thanks to everyone who attended! In the end we had 22 people who attended (19 of them FJR Pilots). This far exceeded my expectations for the event. Thank you everyone!

Second I would like to thank the people that contributed to various aspects of the event:

• Dwayne Verhey and his wife for doing the cool embroidered Tshirts.
  • Rob Munro and his wife for doing up the cool CFR Stickers.
  • Mike H (who was unable to attend) and Yamaha Canada who were able to supply an Official Yamaha SWAG Package. This had a Yamaha Cap, sidestand plate and a few other goodies. And Chris Edwards for bringing the aforementioned Yamaha swag to the rally.
  • Kelsey's restaurant for handling a group of 25 people. They had to shut down one corner of the restaurant but they made it happen!
  • Motel 6 Huntsville. The facilities were great and the staff was always cheerful and helpful.
Official List of Attendees

Code:
#     Name (Forum -- Given)                 From                       Bike
---  ------------------------------------  -------------------------  --------------
 1    Colin 24 -- Colin Goodall             Carleton Place, Ont        2005 FJR ABS
 2    -- Peter Goodall                      Whitby, Ontario            2005 FJR ABS
 3    BugR -- Chris Edwards                 Ottawa, Ont                2005 FJR ABS
 4    FJRPierre -- Pierre Boulé             Ottawa, Ont                2003 FJR
 5    Canadian FJR -- Scott Cameron         Trenton, Nova Scotia       2003 FJR
 6    FastJoyRide – Dave Dykes              Regina, Saskatchewan       2004 FJR ABS
 7    -- Jim Dykes                          Lindsay, Ontario           Honda ST100
 8    Huron52 -- Tom Cale                   Ripley, Ontario            2004 FJR ABS
 9    Torch –- Dwayne Verhey                Huntsville, Ontario        2003 FJR
10    Moosehead -- Mike Mabee               Baden, Ontario             2006 FJR
11    -- Darlene  Mabee                     Baden, Ontario             Honda Shadow
12    wheatonFJR -- Mark Irving             Wheaton, Illinois          2004 FJR
13    CLSONFJR -- Chris Sonmor              Calgary, Alberta           2005 FJR
14    -- Pierre Charbonneau                 Montreal, Quebec           2006 FJR
15    -- Jacques Bleau                      Montreal, Quebec           2006 FJR
16    graytaz –- Philip Gray                Aurora, Ontario            -
17    fjrob1300 -– Rob Munro                Lindsay, Ontario           2003 FJR
18    jrd14 -– Jay Dick                     Richfield, Ohio            2005 FJR
19    -- Steve Zeller                       Richfield, Ohio            FZ6
20    -- Ed Lichowicz                       Brantford, Ontario         2005 FJR
21    -- Dennis Reading                     Waterford, Ontario         2004 FJR
22    -- Greg Sutton                        St. George, Ontario        2003 FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Shaking hands and saying my good byes to the last ones after breakfast on sunday Chris (clsonfjr) Mark (wheatonfjr) and myself headed out for a day ride around the country side. Both Mark and Chris where with Chris (BUGR)on saturday so I knew where to take them that just might put a smile on the face again.

No I didn't take them to the store at the south end of North Bay.

They had spend most of the day on saturday on the east side of Hwy 11 so I showed them what the west side had to offer. They snap a few pics so you are going to have to wait until them get back to post them.

After the day we had supper at the Cottage. Chris headed back to pack up while it was still light out. Mark and I headed back to the hotel.

My, it sure was quiet sitting out back on the chairs... There was just two lone 04's parking there. As we sat there, we had time to reflect on weekend's happenings.

Will it happen again? I do hope so!

:clapping:

[SIZE=10pt]Thanks again Colin for making the arrangements for this rally. I think everyone, maybe excluding Ed who now has some plastic to replace and probably some soreness to work out, thought it was a great success.[/SIZE]

Dwayne and Cathy did an excellent job on the t-shirts and Rob (and wife)'s work to take the CFR logo and create the stickers resulted in another fine momento of the rally.

We didn't have a chance to meet Mike H but the grab bags he was able to arrange to get from Yamaha were totally unexpected. Thanks Mike for your efforts. Hope to meet up with you another time. Thanks Chris for packing the goodies to Huntsville.

:yahoo:

ps. I plan to get some photos posted soon as I get some time to resize them appropriately.

I too want to thank Colin for setting this up and all those others who contributed to the success of the rally in some way. I had a great time and met all of you good folks! I hope to be at the next one and see you all again.

The riding part was the central event for me and I thank Colin for leading us up via twisties Thur, Torch for showing us some magnificant 500+km on Fri, Colin and Pierre for leading us around again on many of the magnificant roads Torch showed us the day before, and for BugR for leading us back home in a spirited ride through the best of Eastern Ontarios twisties. I had 4 days of great riding (1800+km of twisties and sweepers) and it really reminded me what sport touring is all about... :yahoo:

It sounds (and looks) like you guys had a great event. And you had a pretty good turnout for the first "semi-official" CFO so keep up the good work, it will only get better.

Thanks Colin for all your work...

Thanks to you and the others that led me around on some great rides - it was a great time. It was nice to put faces to screen names as well. Not all the helpful people come from Ottawa...

I also found out that not all the crazies live in the states...you know who you are.

I really wish I could have gone.

Too bad work gets in the way of those kind of things. I will continue to be the spontaneously unpredictable rider..in terms of when.

My thanks to all too. It would have been fun to spend more time in Huntsville but I had work committments crowding both sides so a week was all there was. The round trip from Regina was 5,200KM including the yummy day of scenic Muskoka and Haliburton backroads that Chris lead us on Saturday. By the way, I love my new ME880 rear which has already accumulated around 8,000 KM and still looks like it has more meat on it than a brand new Azarro...

CFR 1 is in the bag - when and where's CFR 2 being held?!

[SIZE=14pt]Sorry for the delay in getting this posted. Here's a link to a selection of pictures taken over the CFR weekend.[/SIZE]

Enjoy!

I want to ALSO thank colin and all invoved in organising this event. :yahoo: Almost always been a solo rider (cept for the wife). I appreciate the loot bags and seeing some of the roads that I never new existed. Next time I'll do it right : registar, book early, reserve a T shirt etc. Thanks again from a last minute entry. Fall-tour anyone ??

Thanks Phil for posting them up! Hope you didn't mind... I scooped a few
Tom, you're welcome. If there's any specific photo that you're interested in which you would like in a larger format, let me know and I'll throw it up there and PM you the link. The originals are 8MP. I only posted them in 0.4MP to make it easier for viewing for those who may be internet speed challenged.

Philip

Congratulations to all who attended the CFR in Huntsville. Hope you all had a safe ride home. I have been away for the past four weeks, and was thinking about you folks and the times I missed. Hope to make it next year or for sure in '09 in the Kootenays!! ;)

Latest posts