Coast To Coast ( Atlantic To Pacific ) Nonstop

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travel_man

Greg Rice
Reaction score
Now that our good friend Tony has completed his incredible 100,000+ miles in a calendar year all with IBA certified rides I realized I need to get my butt back in the saddle.

I am planning a Cannonball type ride for late March or April next year. My route in the Cannonball world is called the Atlantic to Pacific run which is Jacksonville Beach to San Diego Beach, we all know this in the IBA world as a 50CC ride. The fastest time overall is 26 hours and 19 minutes and it was with two drivers. I did this ride in September 2018 with a time of 29 hours and 23 minutes. I have the third best time on this route and the fastest by motorcycle.

Now I want to see if I can improve on this time now that I have a better suited motorcycle, FJR.

There are a couple motorcycle Cannonball Run ( NYC to LA ) past and current record holders who may be doing this ride with me.

If you want to try your luck at a nonstop coast to coast ride send me an email to [email protected].

Here is a link to a webpage with all of the ride planning along with some good information.

https://www.gregrice.com/rides/gregrice-C2C.html

Wow!!

The webpage you linked is a great read.  Clearly some time (and experience) went into the plan.

I can just about imagine doing a 24+ hr run without a stop other than for a quick fill-up.  I can't imagine AVERAGING significantly over 80 mph for more than 28 hr straight - including the lost time at the gas stops.  Radar detectors (and some luck) are clearly key to a successful ride.

That last one was a heck of a ride, Greg.  Another ride that I was glad to be part of with you.  A couple things that I can think of, off the top of my head - I remember reading on one of the forums about a waterless hydration "drink" of some sort.  Maybe i'm remembering wrong, but the goal of the product was less peeing.  It might have even been a military product.  We may have talked about it, do you remember?  Short of a catheter, i'm estimating that it would save 25-30 min if you have the 5 stops (not counting start or finish) if you didn't have to run in the station.  My google skills aren't coming up with anything on the product, i'll keep looking.  If we could find it now, it would give you a little time to test and evaluate before March.  Another subject is that the recent recordholders all used "rabbits" along the route (not to mention co drivers and spotters).  Are you thinking of enlisting anyone to haul ass ahead of you?  Even if you couldn't find anyone willing to risk their license and/or freedom around here or the other forums, i'll bet you could find some volunteers around the car Cannonball community.  They'd probably be happy to support you and be part of the record.  Talk more soon and i'll keep looking for that drink thing

Another subject is that the recent recordholders all used "rabbits" along the route (not to mention co drivers and spotters).  Are you thinking of enlisting anyone to haul ass ahead of you?  Even if you couldn't find anyone willing to risk their license and/or freedom around here or the other forums, i'll bet you could find some volunteers around the car Cannonball community.  They'd probably be happy to support you and be part of the record.  Talk more soon and i'll keep looking for that drink thing
I am not looking for anyone to scout for me but I am thinking about having someone monitor traffic websites and look for accidents and or traffic congestion out in front of me.

Just a thought Greg...  If you're going to do this, it might be better to not post it all over the web until it's over.  Nothing says buzz kill like cops waiting for you since you pretty much told the world in advance that you're going to be speeding down the road on a specific route in a narrow time frame.

Just a thought Greg...  If you're going to do this, it might be better to not post it all over the web until it's over.  Nothing says buzz kill like cops waiting for you since you pretty much told the world in advance that you're going to be speeding down the road on a specific route in a narrow time frame.
Thanks for the good advice and that is why I am not releasing the date I am planning on this. I have a 2 month window and only the riders and a few others will know the exact date.

Sounds like about the time I'll be attempting my first BBG that happens to be along that same corridor between Baton Rouge and El Paso... I'll be riding BBG pace which is nowhere near record setting.
Good luck on your BBG. You know I recently completed my 59th BBG on my new FJR. You need to get busy. 😁