ES Forks - Possible design issue w/excess play

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at a disadvantage because I have a vastly superior GenII that, besides being the best colour, has never had a wobble or shake issue ever. I have felt it on other bikes, but I mostly think that it's tires.... I tend to run higher tire pressures of 40-42 front, 42-45 rear, and I don't do slabs much. My tires tend to have minimal flat spot and cupping, maybe wear more uniformly, dunno. Metzeler Z6's up front has been my normal, if that matters.

We don't know that any of this "excess play" thing has anything to do with wobble or shake...... we don't have the problem bike here to ride it for ourselves. But, it seems by his description it is the normal wobble or shake issue (low speed decel or coasting) and it just won't go away no matter what he tries. He's had it on two previous FJR's as well, but I don't know to what degree. He's found the play, and it concerns him, as it probably should. This is going to take forever to gather data......

A UK rider with a 2013 AS (with ES), mileage 8k, has asked for assistance with a potential design issue.
Why doesn't he ask himself? Last time I checked this forum is available all over the world. Unless you have the bike in front of you to actually ride and touch...it's going to be a tough road to diagnose this kind of issue.... and probably create more confusion than help. ...especially when you bandy the hotbutton term like "potential design issue" around.

I strongly encourage you to get the ACTUAL OWNER to register for the forum and involve themself.

Last edited by a moderator:
...Suspension and tires are the biggest contributors to bad head shake.
Steering head rake, trail, ride height and suspension sag play a role too. (On the unchanged FJR steering rake, wheelbase, motorcycle weight, tire size and engine placement remain pretty much unchanged.) On decel there is weight transfer to the front end which changes the front geometry & weight carrying and how you have your suspension setup will cause different results (including different rider weight and cargo weight). And yes, tires too
smile.png
That's what I said!

A UK rider with a 2013 AS (with ES), mileage 8k, has asked for assistance with a potential design issue.
Why doesn't he ask himself? Last time I checked this forum is available all over the world. Unless you have the bike in front of you to actually ride...it's going to be a rough road to diagnose this kind of issue and probably create more confusion than help. ...especially when you bandy the hotbutton term like "potential design issue".

I strongly encourage the ACTUAL OWNER to register for the forum and involve themself.
I agree, besides if there is a tolerance established by Yamaha for it and his freeplay is less than that....

...Suspension and tires are the biggest contributors to bad head shake.
Steering head rake, trail, ride height and suspension sag play a role too. (On the unchanged FJR steering rake, wheelbase, motorcycle weight, tire size and engine placement remain pretty much unchanged.) On decel there is weight transfer to the front end which changes the front geometry & weight carrying and how you have your suspension setup will cause different results (including different rider weight and cargo weight). And yes, tires too
smile.png
That's what I said!
Yes you were concise in your post. Any good answer in the Forum needs to be a long rambling reply, with tangent content, strong thread drift and reference at least one or two animals ;)

As a UK rider with the AS bike and the ES suspension, yes, there is some hands-off shimmy. It is worse than my previous Gen 2 bikes, varies with speed, load, not sure about tyres (changing my first front out as I write).

With the lightest of hands on bars it smooths out, and in any normal riding it does not occur. By "normal", I mean at least one hand at least resting on the grip.

Maybe tomorrow, before I fit the wheel back on, I'll check the play, but I'm not going to worry about a millimetre or so.

So, for me, it's absolutely not a problem, just a characteristic to be aware of if you forgot to do the strap up on your glove.

The only time I take my hands off the bars, is when I need to pound down a beer in a hurry...while sitting on the back seat with my feet reclined on the tank.
But otherwise hands on the grips at all times. Are you guys nuts?!
At what speed do you do this?
It must be higher than the dreaded wobble...unless wheatie is using it to mix his beer!
drinks.gif

--G

He's found the play, and it concerns him, as it probably should. This is going to take forever to gather data......

This is inflammatory language, as well as your "design issue" thread title. I believe you are practicing black magic and conjuring up shit that just ain't there.

Go hang out on the R1 forums and stoke the transmission fire. You'll be in good company.

So there!

I do not think Ray is trying to stir things. He is repeating some serious accusations on a very public forum though.

I do think that whoever this "person" is with 8K on his 2013 is either a doofus or a troll. If he truly has an issue, he needs to join this forum and get it resolved. Until then, he may have issues that have nothing to do with his FJR.

Status
Not open for further replies.