Fault code #44 and Diag#84

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biquer

Reaction score
I had an electrical short due to corrosion in the wiring above the engine on my 2105 ES resulting in a low voltage situation. This resulted in code#44 on the dash and no suspension adjustment. I researched this and found that some people have never got this resolved, probably because of potentially huge dealer bills and that Yamaha recommends if diag#84 does not work that you buy a $3,500 shock assembly! I got mine fixed so maybe this might help someone.
I followed the workshop manual guidance and ran diag#84 to reset the shock pump stepper motor. Despite multiple attempts the result was an F0 which means that the reset had failed. The manual then says to carry out a manual reset of the pump requiring the whole back end of the bike to be removed.
I accessed the stepper motor assembly and did the manual reset as per the workshop manual about 5 times and each time the pump would make a noise, then stop. Every one ended in the F0 result, no good. I disassembled the motor and found nothing wrong. I reassembled it but did not reattach it to the pump, I left the drive cog visible and I ran the diag#84 again and the cog turned to the extent of its range (from 1 turn out as per manual) and stuck causing another F0. At this point there was nothing to lose so had a play. Instead of backing the pump out 1 turn I backed it out to the right hand side to the extent of its range, just before it goes loose. I ran diag#84 again and it spun freely for about 3 seconds when I hit the kill switch, I reassembled it and the #44 code had gone. I now have no codes and the full range of suspension settings.
This is not a guaranteed recipe for success, I may just have been lucky but the fact is that its now fully working where diag#84 did not work and I spent no money.
The stripping and rebuilding took me about 4 evenings work, not to be taken on lightly.
My observations are that its a bit weak that a low voltage should result in such a fuss, and it's a silly amount of work to access something, I suppose that's because the electronic suspension was very much shoehorned into a bike that was not originally designed for it.