Foot Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
I have a new to me 2013. It has been through two previous owners. The last guy put a nice Givi Dolomite top box on it along with the SR357 rack. Now I need to do some soul searching - this is a nice top box really roomy - not helmet roomy but it can carry lots of stuff. I can't use my smuggler trunk with that SR357 rack so it is sitting on the shelf. The bike also has some LED head lights that are aftermarket that I will search out more info on. What this post is about is foot guards. It has the FJR OEM sliders and the addition of the foot guard /  wind protector. They look really nice. They will definitely interfere with maintenance. Oil filter harder to get a hold of - likely can't use the tin foil trick to make clean up easy. On the other side they block access to the coolant drain bolt. What I am looking for is the installation instructions for this accessory to help me when I take it off. They will also help when I need to put them back on. Does anyone have a copy they can scan and send? 

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Cant help you with the foot guards, but if you swap to the Shad version of the SR357 rack it will work with the smuggler with minor adjustment. You just need to elongate the mounting holes to allow the rack to slide back 5/16" and shorten the rear spacers by 7/16". I then use the Givi universal mounting plate for my V46. I love my smuggler. 

I just read recently on another forum about someone having the same question about the footguards.  I think there's a fastener up inside the lower fairing that you have to reach up for to get them off.  I'll go see if I can find that thread.

Edit:  Found it.  Seems they're held on by five Philips head screws but supposedly no need for removal.  Suggestion was to remove the large fairing bolt behind the adjustable vent panel and also the lower fairing bolt which should give enough to flex away the Tupperware and get at things.  As Infrared said below that cap wrench was also suggested but from the side.  Length of oil filter of choice may or may not be an issue too.

Cant help you with the foot guards, but if you swap to the Shad version of the SR357 rack it will work with the smuggler with minor adjustment. You just need to elongate the mounting holes to allow the rack to slide back 5/16" and shorten the rear spacers by 7/16". I then use the Givi universal mounting plate for my V46. I love my smuggler. 
Bookmarked!  I miss the Smuggler on my Gen I but figured it was either/or when I got the Gen III so went with the rack.  If I come across a deal on one now I just might be tempted to use your info.

Joe,

Depending on how much you like your foot guards, you could just make a hole large enough to pass a long socket-wrench extension through the footguard.  Use a cap-style oil filter wrench socket on that extension, to remove the oil filter.  Same trick on the other side, for the coolant drain bolt.  You can get rubber "grommets" without the hole in various sizes, to cover the hole needed for the socket wrench extension.  Oil Filter Cap Socket Wrench:

s-l1600.jpg

I have a new to me 2013.

What this post is about is foot guards. It has the FJR OEM sliders and the addition of the foot guard /  wind protector. They look really nice. They will definitely interfere with maintenance. Oil filter harder to get a hold of - likely can't use the tin foil trick to make clean up easy. On the other side they block access to the coolant drain bolt. What I am looking for is the installation instructions for this accessory to help me when I take it off. They will also help when I need to put them back on. Does anyone have a copy they can scan and send? 

I installed the footguards (or foot shields as Yammy calls them) on my 2014.

Possibly useful pictures (taken as part of my fairing removal sequence) start here . Click the image to get the original (may take a little while to download), click the "next" link to see subsequent pictures, click the "more" link to get a page of (clickable) thumbnails. They include a (poor quality) picture of the instructions.

Personally, I didn't like them, took them off the next time I removed the fairings. Beware, you can only fit or remove them with the fairing removed, not a job to be undertaken lightly.

Thank you!!! I just realized last night that I couldn't easily get to my oil filter and the sight glass is also a bit harder to see. The jury is out. These might be coming off.