Frankenstein Seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stose85

Reaction score
I have a seriously strange question to ask everyone, but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I ordered a $1400 set of Russell Day-Long Seats with heat for my V-Star 950T. I bought my FJR and sold the V-Star a week after they arrived in the mail. The dealer requested the Mustang's that were on the bike over the Russell's because they are customized to rider specs. The seats were nice but the driver's seat was going to put me up way too high in the saddle for the Star and put my helmet back in the buffeting zone. This is at least one reason of the many why I chose to go back to a sport touring motorcycle (Helmet buffeting = Suck).

So here I am looking at taking a $700 loss on a couple of brand new seats. I got an idea and here I am.

Does anyone think it would be possible to move a set of Russell's over from one bike to another without completely F'ing it up? The seats on the star and the FJR are both S-3 sizes so there's that. I also saw a Russell Day-Long without the cover and it looks like they just put it on top of the stock foam. I am figuring a larger cover would have to be built but a couple hundred bucks and a Russell vs No Russell and $700 hit is just killing me. The Star seat is very flat and absolutely horrible compared to the stock FJR so if I need to angle it back or forward I could try that. Obviously the seating arrangement is the biggest issue cruiser vs sportbike.

Is it worth it tearing down a set of seats with the potential total loss or should I go with and get the help of a good upholstery shop? Here's a couple of pictures just for reference.

12994422_1309102219116225_929637139068073404_n.jpg

12472709_1309102312449549_5996279848771700541_n.jpg

<sarcasm>Taking a custom seat from one bike with a unique form factor and moving it over to a different bike with a unique form factor while you're not a custom seat maker? What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure it will be even better than Russell could have done it. </sarcasm>

Just because Russell puts seat types into broad categories for pricing purposes shouldn't infer interchangeability.

Sunk costs my friend.

<sarcasm>Taking a custom seat from one bike with a unique form factor and moving it over to a different bike with a unique form factor while you're not a custom seat maker? What could possibly go wrong? I'm sure it will be even better than Russell could have done it. </sarcasm>
Just because Russell puts seat types into broad categories for pricing purposes shouldn't infer interchangeability.

Sunk costs my friend.
rolleyes.gif
banghead.gif
There's always hoping haha. Even with the Russell's the V-Star didn't compare to this FJR...

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there not a forum for the V-Star similar to this one? If so you might be able to sell those seats on THAT forum in the classified section and recoup most of your money. I know that Russell seats get snapped up very quickly on this forum, I wouldn't think it would be different for the V-Star.

My (non sarcastic) opinion would be to not F' up a wonderful FJR with seats that do not fit solidly. If the seat starts squirming underneath you during spirited cornering, things could go South very quickly.

I considered this with my Russell on my 05 FJR and swapping it to a GenIII seat pan. Personally I think this one is possible but I asked Russell for advice anyway and if they could do it, they said NO and not to. Of course I'm sure they would like to sell another seat but so much for them doing it.... IF it was possible. I haven't compared the two so I'm backing away for now.

I your case, that is a big stretch and I would not attempt it.

Is there not a forum for the V-Star similar to this one? If so you might be able to sell those seats on THAT forum in the classified section and recoup most of your money. I know that Russell seats get snapped up very quickly on this forum, I wouldn't think it would be different for the V-Star.
My (non sarcastic) opinion would be to not F' up a wonderful FJR with seats that do not fit solidly. If the seat starts squirming underneath you during spirited cornering, things could go South very quickly.
As a matter of fact I've posted them on two other forums and on Facebook. I'm asking $800 shipped which is a hefty discount. I guess I could always just "sit" on them until someone offers what I'm asking. Good point on the 2nd part of your post.

I considered this with my Russell on my 05 FJR and swapping it to a GenIII seat pan. Personally I think this one is possible but I asked Russell for advice anyway and if they could do it, they said NO and not to. Of course I'm sure they would like to sell another seat but so much for them doing it.... IF it was possible. I haven't compared the two so I'm backing away for now.
I your case, that is a big stretch and I would not attempt it.
This is exactly what I was looking for kieefjr thank you!

Another option and I'm just throwing this out there. I don't know what the underside of the seats look like but if they are flat enough you might see if you can leave the stock rear seat on the FJR and use the V-seat in place of the drivers seat. If it fits somewhat there may be a way you could secure it to the frame?

But, it may/will be ugly but comfy, at least for you.

There's always Ebay.

Needless to say, that would probably never happen here. Used FJR Russels sell rather quickly around here, even though they're not discounted much from the new price. Sad to hear that it's not the same situation for the VStar. I can appreciate your frustration with trying to get your money back out of them; you paid out some big bucks. However, that said, this is a great time of the year to be selling used stuff, and with a little luck, you'll indeed be able to sell them. Granted, it looks like you'll have to take a loss, but at least you can rest assured that if you by a RDL seat for your FJR, first you won't NEED to sell it, but if and when ya do, it shouldn't be a problem to do so.

Gary

darksider #44