Front tires wearing prematurely (cupping)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crostie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 2007 FJR that has recently wears the front tire. Michelin Pilot Road 4 to be exact. I recently purchased these tires, put 1,700km on the first front tire,had cupping issues. Michelin Rep sent me a second tire 1,500km on it now, noticing cupping again. Michelin suggested I run 41psi in the second one I purchased, a little better but still has a cupping issue. Has anyone encountered this problem ?

I see no adjustment for aligning the wheels, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW front fork seals were done last year, the bike has 40,000kms on it.

Go to Google and search: "Haulinashe suspension settings, site:FJRForum." That will get you to Jeff's thread for a very good starting point for your suspension settings. Those along with 41 front / 43 rear will reduce tire issues.

You might want o check your pressure gauge to be sure it is reading accurately.

Cupping or scalloping of the tire tread is a direct result of the tread blocks flexing under load, putting uneven road pressure across the face of the blocks. That comes as a result of running at too low of a pressure for the forces being applied, such as acceleration (rear only), braking (both), and steering loads (front mostly), not so much by wheel alignment or suspension settings unless they were horribly wrong.

Pretty much all front tires will cup or scallop (to a lesser or greater extent) under the weight and forces of the 700 lb FJR. The best you can do to reduce it is keep the pressure up and select tires with tread patterns that are less prone to cupping.

Other than being an annoyance, it really doesn't hurt anything to have a scalloped tire, unless or until it gets bad enough to induce steering instability (front end wobbles). If it is just buzzing while turning, that is pretty much par for the course.