Garmin Zumo 550 Memory Limitations

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some added info:

The file that we are replacing in this procedure (and deleting off the GPS device) is not the basemap. The basemap is the file in the device's X:\Garmin directory named "gmapbmap.img". There will also be a very small file named "gmapbmap.sum", which I take to be a checksum file of some sort. The basemap is only ~ 6Mb in size. These files never change when you update the GPS maps. You have to have these files on the GPS device for it to work at all. You can see what little information is in the "basemap" deleting the current map version file(s) and starting the GPS. It is only the basic highways and geography and no POIs.

When you load the map versions to your GPS using the "normal" methods it creates the very large file named "gmapprom.img", and a checksum file for that also. Back when my zumo was new and came with the 2009 version of all City Navigator North America maps installed that file was one Gigabyte. The total internal memory of the zumo 550 is only 1.2, so not being able to fit all of the CNNA maps was inevitable. Loading the maps version also creates a "key file" to unlock that version of map update named "gmapprom.gma".

When you update from one version of maps to another one using the normal methods the old version of gmaprom.img is overwritten by a new one, and a new checksum and key file are also generated. When you want to load all of the maps to the SD card, the only file that you need to delete from the device to prevent having duplicate maps is the big gmapprom.img file. That file contains all of the maps, plus all of the POI information. As an aside, it is primarily the ever growing database of POIs that is causing new version of maps to be so much bigger, as new POIs are constantly added and many of the obsolete ones do not get removed.

Whether you load maps onto the GPS device at that time or not, it will also record map unlock information for the GPS device that is connected at that time in the PC software. So if you have several GPS devices, as I do, you actually have to reload the maps to your PC once with each device connected to get the unlock info for all of the devices. This is a serious PITA.

When you later use the MapInstall utility, or Mapsource or Basecamp's built in maps transfer utilities, to transfer the maps to an SD card or the device itself, it will create the file named gmapsupp.img. It will also create a key file on the device you transfer the maps to. Those are the long-gibberish-filename.gma files you will see on the SD card after the transfer. You can have one gmapsupp.img file on the device and another on the SD card, but you should try not to have the same segments of the same version of maps installed in multiple places.

When you are choosing the map segments to transfer (to the device or to the SD card) using one of the previously mentioned map transfer utilities, you can also choose multiple versions of maps. I generally use all map segments of the current version of CNNA North America to the SD card, plus I have most of the segments of US 24k Topo Maps Northeast on the GPS device.

To choose which of the installed maps you are using at any given time you go into Settings (wrench icon) / Map, and select Map Info at the bottom of the page. This will display all versions of maps that are installed, unlocked and available and you can uncheck or check whatever version of map you want to display and use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good information Steve and Fred, thanks.

Just a comment on map updates. Garmin Express is what they would have you use and it doesn't handle this stuff very well! I hope they don't drop Mapupdater.

With a lot of the map (and other) information on the SD card, it is vital that a complete system backup is maintained elsewhere. Probably a good idea to have an exact clone of the SD card to carry around in case shit happens. Although I haven't had problems, I consider "built-in" memory to be more robust than SD cards.

With all of the vacated space on the main unit, do you keep your routes, favorites etc. on the device or on the SD card? I don't think you have the option for stuff like tracks but you can move them manually using a computer.

I have been (just barely) able to fit the full maps on the base unit but only after I deleted everything I didn't need (voices, vehicles, languages, help files etc.). Pretty sure I will need the SD card the next time. I wish that the main detailed maps and the POI files were separate and you had the ability to selectively load the POI. I'm pretty sure I don't need the location for every ATM in North America!

Guessing you mean MapInstall, not Mapupdater? Last update was 2014, but as I reported, this version does recognize and allow you to place the current map on an SD card installed in the Zumo. It even created the \Garmin Folder. And you can choose as many or as few map segments ( up to fill the card) as you wish.

JaVaWa will help with cloning the SD card and full backups. Pretty simple to use, and free.

Yes, I am letting the Zumo keep all the other stuff; routes, favs, etc, in its on board storage. Lots of space now.

I would be happy to stay with one giant file if only the POI's were kept current. Even better, hey Garmin, how about keeping up with highway construction?

-Steve

Yes, I do keep 3 copies of the SD card, each with different music files on them for variety, and one with the last maps version just in case. With the extra room on the device memory, as I mentioned I have topo maps loaded there, plus I have a handful of custom POI files on the device, and I leave my routes, waypoints and track logs all on the device, and still have lots of room left.

I just this morning updated my maps for my zumo using Garmin Express. It is quite easy, if you know how. I'll grab some screen captures to show you.

Be right back...

I just this morning updated my maps for my zumo using Garmin Express. It is quite easy, if you know how. I'll grab some screen captures to show you.

Be right back...
I found limited choices in terms of directing the stuff to the SD card instead of the device on the 665. Also limited in what you could do as a partial install while Mapinstall allows you to be quite selective. Maybe I missed something - will look again next time I have to do an update. I have used Garmin Express for the Zumo and a number of other GPS in the past with no issues - as long as you don't want to re-direct or be very selective about what you want loaded.

Au contraire. You just need to know where to click...

I have not recently updated my nuvi 2589 GPS, so I'll use that for these examples.

Open Garmin Express and select the GPS you want to update. GE will show you a screen like this:

Garmin%20Express%201.jpg

Do not click the Install Now button. In stead, click on "View Details"

That will pop up this screen, (except it may not say that the Full North America will be installed):

Garmin%20Express%202.jpg

Again, do not click on "Install", instead click the "Installation Options" link, which will expand the bottom to look like:

Garmin%20Express%203.jpg

Select "Computer Only" and you can change the Installation Path if you want.

When it installs the maps to your computer only, it will simultaneously download a copy of the latest version of Basecamp and the latest version of the MapInstall utility. From there it is the same routine to install the maps on your GPS as in my tutorial at the beginning of this thread.

So, do you install to computer only and then copy to the SD card from there? Or when installing to the computer, do you direct it to the mapped SD card for location? I assume since they are "locked" maps, you would have to still download separately for each device you want to update...

I have always used Garmin Express to install to both the device (Zumo or other) and the computer. If updating more than one device (we have three with LM), I only install to device for the other two.

Edit - for a partial install using Garmin Express, you are limited to a few specific regions whereas for Mapinstall, you can be very selective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I always install to just the computer first. Then use MapInstall to transfer the maps to the GPS. If you do it all at once from inside Garmin Express it actually does it in 2 steps anyway, so the actual time is the same. But you get much more flexibility when you transfer the maps with the MapInstall utility afterwards.

Thanks. I had found that Garmin Express did not offer sufficient options for transferring partial maps and did not allow going directly to the SD (although I never tried a redirect to SD card with the "save to computer" option). Not needed at this point with the information you and Steve posted on getting things set up on the 665 SD card instead of main memory. I will be doing this with the next update - I did one a couple months ago so it is likely still current.

Fred/Ross

I don't see what Fred posted.

Where Fred see's "View Details", I see "Map Options".

(Note, and this may be why, Fred is updating a device, in my case, the device is up to date. In fact, GE still thinks I only have "West 2018.20" installed)

If I choose "Map Options", I can "Change Map", "Reinstall Map", or "Install to Computer".

If I choose Change, GE begins to download something that is going to take over 2 hours, maybe after the download I would get to choose what to change, I don't know, I just cancelled the process.

If I choose Computer, the path is fixed and I cant change it.

I have seen the screens Fred posted, but not when the device is up to date. (like now)

Just thought I would point all this out in case someone tries this process and doesn't see what Fred see's.

That's two major differences - this, and the unlock maps process I had to go thru before MapInstall was going to cooperate.

-Steve

^^^

And I am not sure if the same options appear with all devices. It seems to me that with someone's 550 (or maybe my Nuvi 765T), you had an option of installing some of the maps on the SD card if insufficient room was available on the device but this option did not appear with the Zumo 665 the last time I used it. Further confused by the fact that Garmin has changed "Express" a number of times taking it from something that never worked reliably to something that usually works. Menus, options and appearance have changed along the way.

Yes, I said that I used the nuvi to create those screen shots specifically because it needs the update. If I had used my (just updated today) zumo 550 I would see the options that you mentioned. Either way, however you get to that point, make sure to install the maps to your computer only. Then later transfer the maps to your SD card with the MapInstall utility.

When GE first came out and did not work reliably I ditched it and used the stand alone MapUpdate utility. Now that Express is working correctly I use that, which is a good thing because MapUpdate no longer works at all.