Gen 1 2003 FJR Forks

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyorlando

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
After reading the issues with the newer FJRs, were the forks can get jammed while taking them apert, I'm wondering if the Gen 1, specifically a 2003, have the same issues as the newer ones. I'm working through the different items on this project bike, and forks are next. So I'm trying to find out a front if I should be cautious, or should I treat them like I have any other forks I have done in the past in which I don't have to worry (too much) about the locking up while taking apart.
Thanks!

The Gen 1 forks do not have the center bushing of the Gen 2+ forks. So they are more like any other upright cartridge or damper rod forks you have done in the past. They can get jammed, but not very likely, and not nearly as badly as the worst horror stories you've read. Be careful loosening / removing / re-installing the retaining bolt at the bottom of the fork leg so as not to damage the compression valve at the bottom of the cartridge. There are only about 50 previous threads of successes and failures in fork servicing, mostly successes.

Now if you want to get really controversial, just ask about what fork oil to use!!:devilish:😇
I won't be participating in that conversation.

dan

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. -- Murphy.

The Gen 1 forks do not have the center bushing of the Gen 2+ forks. So they are more like any other upright cartridge or damper rod forks you have done in the past. They can get jammed, but not very likely, and not nearly as badly as the worst horror stories you've read. Be careful loosening / removing / re-installing the retaining bolt at the bottom of the fork leg so as not to damage the compression valve at the bottom of the cartridge. There are only about 50 previous threads of successes and failures in fork servicing, mostly successes.

Now if you want to get really controversial, just ask about what fork oil to use!!:devilish:😇
I won't be participating in that conversation.

dan

Nature always sides with the hidden flaw. -- Murphy.
Thanks... you are right about the fork oil, and that goes for engine oils too. So, I wont be participating in those conversations either... or maybe I should just to wake some up hahah (;-)