Gen1 Fuel Pump Leaking after "rebuild"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhaze

Reaction score
I had my bike serviced after sitting for far too long. Shop determined fuel pump was bad and ordered a rebuild kit. I've ridden the bike a bit over 400 miles since getting it back...ran fine. I would often smell a little gas when stopped and had a faint smell in the garage, but didnt think anything of it eally.

Until the other morning when I was awakened at 530 am by a very strong odor of gas. My bedroom is directly over the garage. It took me a few min to realize, and I went down to the garage and it was awful! my eyes burned, I was hesitant to turn on the light switch or kick off the garage door opener for fear of an earth shattering kaboom. In hindsight I should have opened the doors manually, but yolo.

anyway...Ive got the tank drained and lifted, and have the two electrical connections , the vent hoses and one of the 90 degree hoses off (the easy one with clamp) this is where the leak is.

The nipple that attaches to the housing has play in it. Should there be ANY play in that at all? I havent determined if it was a bad hose/nipple connection or if the housing itself is bad.

I don't *think* it should have any play.

Just happen to have a spare tank w/ pump sitting on the shelf and will see if that piece wiggles.

Just curious, what is this 'rebuild kit' you speak of?

Never heard of one either. Note: Gen I fuel pump is different from Gen II+.
I'm right in there with ya Ross! I never heard of one either! Think about finding a shop thats honest Fhaze. The only remotely close thing is a new filter sock available from China on E-bay for a few bucks. I just had to buy a brand new fuel pump for my Gen 2 because rust had stopped up the internal NON-SERVICEABLE fuel filter. Its almost like we had BMW's with their planned to break down parts so you can buy a new pump even though the motor still works.
Look up GTL Advantage to see what can be done for old gas tanks that will stop this issue from happening again. Partly my own fault too for not keeping the tank full all the time. Expensive lesson learned, had to have the injectors professionally cleaned as well!

Latest posts