Givi 47N and Brake light kit

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchnj1

Reaction score
I'm interested in the Givi 47 top box and brake light kit.

Its not clear from my reading how brake light wires connect between the top box and bike. I would imagine there should be some kind of contact so that the top box can be easily removed.

Also I'm seeing two different mounts. The SR357 and E288. I suppose the SR357 is better because it costs more?

Anyway I'm sure someone here has crossed this bridge, Appreciate any insight!

Thanks

I did a ton of research regarding the mounting of the Givi V47 on both this highly esteemed forum and Revzilla videos as well as the googley dot internet in general.

Overwhelmingly the research indicated the SR357 is the way to go. I'm sure others will weigh in but thought I'd pass along my search results. I just received mine and haven't even installed it yet. It does look & feel quite substantial. Been too busy skiing here up north!!

My brother has the Givi light kit on his E55. I am assuming it's the same kit you would get with a different shaped light fixture. It uses 24gage-ish wires and a spring loaded military style fixed connector. His wires have broke several times and his lights flicker if they dont fail because the connector is poorly designed.

I have the E55 and the admore light kit. The wires are roughly 16gauge with a twist lock connector.

I don't think you can go wrong with the Givi case. I do not support the Givi lights.

The difference between the 228 and the 357 is sub framing. The 228 (i admit I have never seen one in real life) is a generic one fits most, that nouns to the rear of the bike. The 357 replaces the rear hand bar and fastens a load bearing bar under the rear seat to spread the load. I love mine. I also did install the Garauldi stuffy kit after seeing all the images these bikes tend to get from pushing the weight limits on the sub frame.

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on Admore light kit over the Givi. Also go with the harness, makes install slicker. Admore CS is good too, one of the LED arrays did not function correctly when I got the kit, called Admore, new one sent out right away.

Another user of an Admore kit with the FJR specific harness. Installation was a snap, although I ended up replacing the three-pin Admore connector with one more robust.

You'll initially spend more money with an Admore kit, but it's worth it. Have fun!

--G

I never even used the spring connector that came with the givi. Seemed sketchy from the start. How difficult did you guys find the admores to shoehorn into the case?

With small zip ties, an 1/8" drill bit, and a universal drill bit it was easy. I am out right now but later I will take and attach pics.

When I installed the Admore Lights to my Givi case, I didn't like the idea of using any sticky medium to hold the wires in place. I used to do car audio for a living and have seen the effects of dark surfaces in sunlight and how adhesives can break down. I used small Zip ties, 1/8" drill bit, and a Universal drill bit. The 1/8" drill bit are self explanatory after seeing the lower Pics. The universal bit (Uni-Bit) i like for drilling plastics because the steps can be used to easily clean spurs off holes leaving a smoother cleaner looking hole.

20160320_211228_zps0ldsfsnv.jpg

20160320_191725_zpsxxjtpzwp.jpg

20160320_203726_zpsrcm4pexc.jpg

20160320_204131_zps2zpphsrf.jpg

20160320_191717_zpshy5rsldb.jpg

Getting Into the harness is easy. Remove the seats. Remove the had bars behind the seats. There is a black plastic coated harness held in place by three harness clamps. Open those and you can pull the harness out about 6". CAREFULLY cut around the sleeve covering the harness and then cut along the harness so you can peal it back. I suggest using the "Pig Tail" hard wire method along with liquid electrical tape. When the wires are in, the sleeve can be pulled back over, then zip tied nice and clean. Place the harness back into the hold down connectors and lock back into place.

20160320_203922_zpsvwbpmdiv.jpg

Tail Lights..........................Admore - Red&Blue..................2014A - Red

Right Turn Signal...............Admore - Green........................2014A - Green

Left turn Signal..................Admore - Yellow........................2014A - Brown

Ground..............................Admore - Black..........................2014A - Black

Break lights........................Admore - Purple.......................2014A - Yellow

If there are any questions about how to "Pig Tail" let me know. I am doing my best to attend the April Tech Day in Michigan (man that hurt to type). If anyone needs help and is willing to ride out to just east of Columbus, OH I can take better pictures during the Install and do a better write up.

Figured I'd throw this in here rather than start a new thread....first farkle complete! Garauld stiffy, SR357, and V47 tech. Install was pretty easy, and since I told Garauld I'd be installing the SR357 he sent longer bolts from the get go, which was super nice! I'd like the side profile of the case and bike to blend a little better, so I'm actually thinking about a 3M carbon wrap on the bottom side of the top case. Saw this thread where Scooter hooked up his red 14', and I really like it. Thinking about doing the Yamaha side bag emblems and a piece of the Givi to match it up, but don't know. That and maybe the Admore lights.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I took the advice of forum members and ordered from https://www.motostorm.it/

Great service, quick shipping, prices couldn't be beat in the US.

IMG_20160330_192837914_zpsrefszjaf.jpg

IMG_20160330_192825685_zpsvaaymsch.jpg

IMG_20160330_192807299_zps9lupl3gi.jpg

IMG_20160330_192753610_zpsyl71q513.jpg

IMG_20160330_170953983_zpsaxn7hvri.jpg

I'm about to pull the trigger on similar combo. Do you think that stiffy is actually needed with SR357?

Looks great Kneedragger...can't wait to get my bike home, to get mine mounted.
Thanks mate! And thanks for the motostorm.it reference, definitely a bargain and I would've never known!

I'm about to pull the trigger on similar combo. Do you think that stiffy is actually needed with SR357?
I can't really say "needed", but justified for sure. Some on here have said it's not needed with the SR357, but I plan to load the box to the max (not with bricks, but still), and have the wifey leaning on it....so for the extra $100 and ease of installation, I'd say it's absolutely worth it. And..I'll put it this way. The SR357 max load is 22lbs, the V47 weighs 10lbs...leaving you with 12lbs of capacity. If I stop by the store and want to grab a case (24) of pepsi, that's 18lbs and risking a subframe; hell even a 9lb 12-pack is pushing it. That costs you a couple hundred bucks and all the time and PITA for replacement.....all because you wanted that case of (cough cough) pepsi, and couldn't dodge that pot hole.

Have you seen a broken subframe?

El Tore JoeI found the best price on the V47 and SR357 at motostorm.it, that's where I bought mine.
Now, not to highjack your thread, I went this route as well, ordered a Givi case and light kit. It took a bit more than a week for the status to change from processing, Ordered on 3-21, and I should be seeing delivery any time now as FedEx is showing it's at the local facility this morning.

Updated to on truck for delivery after I initially posted, I can't wait to get it installed.

I already have a supersized SR357 rack and stiffy installed so this will be a breeze to install. Seeing some videos I may add a second set of LED's that have running turn and stop functions.

needed, it's depend,

juste look at the result :

cam00110.jpg

after, you knwo the risk, it's you're choise.

I haven't this support, but y never put heavy thinks in my top cas, I usualy keep it free to put in helmet whan i stop. and put every thinks on the suitcase, or on tank case.

If I have to put heavy thinks in my top case, I will by the support

I have no doubt about the importance and function of the stiffy. I didn't realize about the max load of SR357. 22lbs is better but still not much at all. Stiffy ordered and to be installed asap.

So I'm curious, has anyone done a DIY light kit for this case? I'm a really cheap bastard (Scottish heritage) and I have a hard time pulling the trigger on another ~$150 for the Admore light kit and bike-specific cabling, after dropping this much just on the V47. It just seems like it would be fairly simple to do. Thanks.

Burns1

PO of my bike made a bunch of custom home made LED strips on the side cases of my bike. They include driving lights, braking and flashers. Leaving apart the looks that are a bit outdated in 2016 and it works just fine. I'm sure you can do something similar yourself for V47 and hide it behind dedicated light covers. Yes, I do have another set of all of the lights around the licence plate, a bit of "Christmas tree" style but I must say I like it.

20160228_100628.jpg

That v47 tech is a good looking case. I run an E55. My wife puts her full weight on the top case and SR357, and it's loaded with 30ish pounds of gear when we travel. No issues even under spirited acceleration. But the stiffy is good insurance