Got my new AE!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice job. You'll love having hard luggage.

Oh yea, and on your camera, look for the little icon that looks like a flower. That's your Macro mode. It helps the focusing when photographing stuff close up, like that plastic rivet thing.
I've got a new one coming from amazon so screw that old one :p I post some real pics of the bike when it gets here.

Then the V46 came and I simply cannot believe how good it looks, almost looks stock from a distance. What a high quality piece of kit, I can't wait to have hard luggage after 15 years of floppy faded soft bags.
Did you do the install of the Givi topbox yourself? If so, how did you mount it? I bought a Givi E55 Maxi trunk and the mounting platform and it looks like I have to remove the stock deck/rails and drill the rear fender or drill holes in the stock deck/rails to install. I'd be interested in a photo or description of how yours was done.

thanks in advance,

Granger

Last edited by a moderator:
Then the V46 came and I simply cannot believe how good it looks, almost looks stock from a distance. What a high quality piece of kit, I can't wait to have hard luggage after 15 years of floppy faded soft bags.
Did you do the install of the Givi topbox yourself? If so, how did you mount it? I bought a Givi E55 Maxi trunk and the mounting platform and it looks like I have to remove the stock deck/rails and drill the rear fender or drill holes in the stock deck/rails to install. I'd be interested in a photo or description of how yours was done.

thanks in advance,

Granger
When you say mounting platform.. Do you mean the Givi SR357 (Givi Mount specific to the FJR)? If so, you will remove the grab rail and replace with the metal tubing bracket and mounting plate.

All I did was order a V46 and matching mounting plate. I didn't have to take anything off the bike, it just mounted up like nothing. Took 15 minutes.

All I did was order a V46 and matching mounting plate. I didn't have to take anything off the bike, it just mounted up like nothing. Took 15 minutes.

You might save yourself some headaches and get the GIVI mounting bracket.

It's a subframe bracket that's designed to take that GIVI load back there...made specific for the GIVI and FJR.

Otherwise, you might be on a trip somewhere with a loose top box and cracked aluminum FJR subframe. I don't have a GIVI, but just passing along info from previous FJR threads regarding these issues as a service to you.

It's a subframe bracket that's designed to take that GIVI load back there...made specific for the GIVI and FJR.

Otherwise, you might be on a trip somewhere with a loose top box and cracked aluminum FJR subframe. I don't have a GIVI, but just passing along info from previous FJR threads regarding these issues as a service to you.
The mount is a GIVI and looks great too.

The mount is a GIVI and looks great too.
Just to clarify what wheaties is saying, the Givi mounting bracket is NOT the same thing as the Givi mounting plate....

givi.jpg

"A" is the mounting bracket. it replaces the OEM grab handles and takes the weight of the top box and mounting plate "B" and transfers much of it to the subframe under the seat. Many FJR owners have broken their rear subframes (under the tailpiece) by NOT using the Givi bracket to tranfer the weight.

The $135 to $150 price, depending on vendor, is MUCH less than $475 for the rear subframe from MamaYama.

Ah-ha! Now I get it. I was in denial that I needed to spend more money. That's going to kill the good looks from the back isn't it?

Ah-ha! Now I get it. I was in denial that I needed to spend more money. That's going to kill the good looks from the back isn't it?
Considering "good looks" is in the eye of the beholder, here's an '07 with the Givi SR357 rack and mounting plate attached without the top box. Looks fine to me. Might look like ass to you. Dunno.

052212_givi002.jpg

Thing is, if you don't like the black finish, you can paint it to match your....BLACK 09??? :rofl:

That looks fine, I though it would mount higher up. Glad you told me though.

I finally decided to get the "universal" mounting deck for the Givi Monokey system and figured a way to fasten it securely to the existing FJR stock rear rack with some long mm-thread bolts. I had to drill out the hard plastic universal mount a bit, but not too much hassle, and now my Givi monokey top cases (I have an E55 and an E46, as I own another bike) lock right on securely and I didn't have to remove/replace the Yammie rear deck or bars.

Comment on the AE shifting: I find that it is ultimately not always as smooth as manually "feathering" a clutch lever, but it is manageable and with some experience (sometimes using rear braking, sometimes using 2nd gear instead of first, sometimes just going easy on the throttle changes) it is predictable and tractable and overall I love the tradeoff. The more you ride the more it becomes second nature.

See you on the Highway,

Granger

I considered a leftover new AE also but found an '06 AE with 24k miles locally. It came with several upgrades and the seller has been nothing but a top class person so far. I got it for < $6k so can't complain too much. It's a bit dirty and needs a little maintenance but should be ok. I just hope the AEs don't have any gotchas with mechanical buggers that I'll be facing down the road.