Heading West

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Just got back from OR via MT.

I loved the Interstate 90 from Bozeman to Butte, then Missoula to Lolo Pass (99 miles of curves) on Hwy 12!!! to Lewiston ID.

I did it twice (once in the rain) and the visitors center has HOT CHOCOLATE!!!

Last edited:
Speaking of road rats, had another near miss with a doe yesterday. This was also in the middle of the day. Crossing left to right like the one in May. I wasn't going as fast this time and had a bit more time.

Speaking of deer, we slowed way done for a group of one doe and three fawns. A truck coming the other way had plenty of time to stop and didn't, killing one of the fawns. What a dumbass.

After 3 days of cold wet weather, we loaded up to head north. And my bike would not start. The panel would boot up and the starter would spin the engine, but no start.

The day before I rode with the heated grips, heated seat, heated vest, and auxiliary lights on. I suspect the alternator could not keep up with the load and the battery is old. No one had jumper cables at the campsite, so I called AAA for a jump.

The bike fired right up and I got the plastic back on with the bike running. On north we went. The low where we camped Wednesday morning was 25°. Time to find warmer weather.View attachment 4773

I'm home. Got home Tuesday evening. I have a bunch more pictures to post tomorrow. I rode two days with a friend that lives in Virginia. Basically I-90 to the Bighorn Mountains on Sunday night, then Souix Falls on Monday night camping at Palisades State Park. From there, I shot down I-29 to KC. I had a total of 3500 miles and averaged 41 to 42 miles per gallon. I'm really liking traveling on this FJR.