Heated grip fuse?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boilermkr

Reaction score
Hello,

my first post here I’m a new member and new first time owner of a 2016 fjr

the previous owner dropped the bike at 0 mph on both sides .

the problem I’m having is my heated grips aren’t coming on. It shows their on in the dash display but no heat.

is the fuse by the battery or someplace else? I can’t find it in the owners manual. Where else might I start to look for the problem ?

thank you and I appreciate any help 

Are you riding the bike at speed or just sitting and idling? IIRC, the OE grips are tied to engine speed and either turn off or end up very low at idle.

Also, check the configurable settings for the grips. You can change from 1 to 10 via dash. If they haven't been adjusted from factory settings, one "bar"  equals 1, two "bars" equals 5 and three "bars" is 10. FWIW I have my '15s set at 5, 6 & 8 corresponding to the three dash settings. 

~G

Yep.  Grips do little or nothing at idle or low rpm.  On the other hand, it is possible that they were damaged when the bike was dropped.  Do they look OK?  Get back to the plug and check continuity with an ohmmeter.  Not sure what they should be but not "open". Maybe in FSM?  Can't help on fuse location. I have Gen II.

From FSM, disconnected from harness, left grip resistance is 1.21 - 1.48 ohms and right is 1.17 - 1.43 ohms. For fuses, FSM lists main, ignition, backup(?) and fuel injection system as ones to check. Since the bike is running, it doesn't sound like fuses are the problem. Worth a look though.  

~G

I went into the settings and heat is set at 1 5 and 10

so I went to the left handlebar and took the grip, switch housing and clutch mount off.

I don't see any signs of a heating element any where??

I think maybe I don't have heated grips haha

just looked at the schematic on partzilla it shows the wiring coming right out of the grip.

not on mine either someone changed grips or it didn't have them from the factory.

I thought all 2016 had them

Your '16 started out with heated grips. Looking at the end of the LH grip, there should be a wire coming out at approximately the 7 o'clock position. Throttle side wire is looped in the housing.

~G

thank you for all the replies.

there isn't any wires coming out of either grip

I have some pictures but don't know how to post them

It looks like I need to get my dash back apart and see if I can figure out where they plug into

I wonder if the dealer would be able to tell me?

Your '16 started out with heated grips. Looking at the end of the LH grip, there should be a wire coming out at approximately the 7 o'clock position. Throttle side wire is looped in the housing.

~G
the throttle side goes into the switch housing?

does the left side wire go down the handlebar?

is it a third bundle of wires contained in the handle bar wiring bracket?

71317654_10157627419964628_8677633348828397568_o.jpg

72164984_10157627419939628_6448900129452720128_o.jpg

71138330_10157627419724628_5174151521012547584_o.jpg

Thanks for the pictures 

that wire is coming out of my throttle housing 

i will take it apart this weekend and see if the heating element is in there

Take the plug apart and check for continuity on the grip side and voltage on the wiring harness.  Remember that you will get little or no voltage with ignition on/engine off or engine operating at idle.  Don't think you want to try taking it apart to expose the heating element. 

the throttle side goes into the switch housing?

does the left side wire go down the handlebar?

is it a third bundle of wires contained in the handle bar wiring bracket?
Look at Niehart's pic of the LH side. The heated grip wire fits into a recess in the bottom of the switch housing. Both heated grip wires run down the handlebars with the rest of the wire bundles. 

~G

thank you guys I really appreciate all the help. I took apart the throttle housing and the wires are cut inside.

I found the left side wires rapped into a little bundle with a wire nut on the end tucked up in the fairing.

so it looks like I will need the grips for both sides I wonder if I should go oem Yamaha or aftermarket 

I'm leaning towards oem