How Sweet It Is

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
I posted this ride report at another m/c forum, and it was well received. Thought I'd share it with ya'll as well.

I had a last minute chance Wednesday to go riding, and I rarely pass that opportunity up. Got off to a fairly late start, but still managed to roll about 200 miles before returning home safely around sunset. I rode this one solo, the bike ran flawless, and I took it easy on the gas, as reflected by my 46mpg fuel mileage.

The weather was mild, even by coastal Louisiana standards. I left the house at about 65 degrees, and it warmed to the mid 70’s by late afternoon under party cloudy skies. There was a stiff southerly wind all day.

With no time to plan, this was one of those “let’s go ‘that’ way and see what we can find” trips. Hope you enjoy the pics.

I took off South heading generally toward the coast into the wind. Before long, I’m on the back roads enjoying the scenery. After about 50 miles, I stop at this little pond to watch some birds.

12_19image1.jpg

This is a Cajun version of Fall Foliage.

12_19image4.jpg

The birds here are a little skittish, but I’m patient. I could use a longer lens, but I pulled off a couple of decent shots with my point and shoot. This Great Blue Heron is enjoying a seafood lunch

12_19image5.jpg

Snowy Egrets were hunted almost to extinction during the “hat feather craze” of the early 20th century. This fellow is fearless in his approach to the perch.

12_19image6.jpg

Nice place to sit and ponder.

12_19image2.jpg

Across the road is a grove of massive oak trees. Despite the “no trespassing” sign, I throw caution to the wind and walk among these majestic giants.

12_19image3.jpg

This one has a peculiar nub from a fallen branch long ago.

12_19image.jpg

The ride is fun as I don’t really know where I am going. I’m very comfortable as the weather is mild and I have just the right amount of clothes on. Another 30 miles and I run into Franklin, LA - a small rural town that is mostly sugar cane farmers. Here’s an old time theatre

12_19image13.jpg

I stop for a snack. Cracklins are a real Cajun treat. Who wouldn’t like fried pork skin?

12_19image14.jpg

Franklin is lined with antebellum homes and moss-draped oak trees.

12_19image15.jpg

Real pretty

12_19image16.jpg

12_19image17.jpg

12_19image18.jpg

I continue South and East toward a large lake that I like to visit. I stopped at this little public park along the lake shore. The visitor’s center is rustic

12_19image19.jpg

I walk along a short trail listening to the birds and the wind.

12_19image20.jpg

These cypress knees are high and dry this time of year.

12_19image21.jpg

I’m enamored in the color.

12_19image22.jpg

I sit still a while to watch this bird work for its lunch.

12_19image24.jpg

The proverbial “Fisher Among Men”

12_19image23.jpg

Back on the road, I’m being extra cautious. This is the peak of the sugar cane harvesting season, and there is a lot of dirt and debris on the road. Soon, a familiar but pleasant smell fills my brain.

12_19image9.jpg

Sugar cane leaves contain no sugar. So, the leaves are burned before the ground is turned over. The sweet smoke is very pleasant in the wind.

12_19image7.jpg

12_19image8.jpg

A little further down the road, I stop to witness a cane field being harvested. The harvester cuts the cane, separates the leaves, and conveys the cane into the wagon.

12_19image10.jpg

12_19image12.jpg

I thought you might like to see some sugar milling operations, so I rode to the Patout and Sons Sugar Mill.

https://www.mapatout.com/Default.aspx

One of the managers approached me to ask what I was doing. I told them I wanted to see how sugar was milled. He told me to hop in his golf cart and he’d show me around. Cool!!

The trucks are first weighed. At the scale, a core sample is taken to be analyzed for sugar content. The farmer is paid based on weight and sugar content.

12_19image26.jpg

Then the trucks are unloaded. This looks kind of scary. There’s another station that unloads trailers from the side as well.

12_19image25.jpg

Then the cane goes to the mill. I was not allowed inside, but the manager explained what happens. The cane is ground and smashed under pressure to squeeze the sugar out of it. Then, the juice is cooked until all the moisture is evaporated. Most of the smoke in this picture is evaporating steam.

12_19image27.jpg

The result is a raw product that is 95% sugar and 5% molasses. My tour guide states that on average, they get 10% yield (10 pounds of sugar for 100 pounds of cane). But 98% of the remaining product is used for fuel to run the steam turbines and other mill machinery. This leaves less than 2% overall waste.

This raw product is barged to another factory where it is refined to make the white table sugar we buy at the grocer. Every wonder what 100 million pounds of sugar looks like? I can tell you that it taste delicious.

12_19image28.jpg

I bid the mill manager farewell and started heading toward home. Some time later, I stopped at this bayou to sit and watch the tide roll away. Looks like an abandoned railroad track here.

12_19image29.jpg

That “hill” in the background is Weeks Island, a salt dome that supplies road salt all over the world.

12_19image30.jpg

It’s getting late in the day now, and I need to be heading home. I stopped to fill up a couple miles from the house. Hey – I hit a mileage milestone!!

12_19image31.jpg

I hope there will be plenty more.

I'd rate it an AAA+++!!! Excellent RR! That's some beautiful country we don't get to see too often, even on the forum!! :yahoo:

Plus you have the best year Feej made!

Thanks for sharing, way cool!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll tell you what I think: :clapping:

One of the wonderful things about ride reports is getting a taste of other parts of the country, including the sites, wildlife, and scenery. Also, we get to know each other via the things we elect to photograph and describe, and how we describe them.

There was only one itsy bitsy problem with your RR: the grammar and punctuation. This here is the FJR Forum. It missed the entire fifth grade. We won't tolerate literacy. :angry2: Your RR contained no run-on sentences, comma splices, or uses of a simi when you shoulda used a colon. :glare: Try again!

That is all.... :p

JB

P.S. And paragraph breaks. We don't use 'em here, at least not the best of us.

Well done!! :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

And you got it right with the narritive above the picture so it flows well

Pants - nice report. I agree that Wednesday was a fine day for a ride in this part of the country. We will have to meet up soon.

Joe

Good job, thanks for taking us along!

Having been in the sugar industry for almost 15 years, there's a lot of neat things that happen inside the mill and refineries...bunch of unit processes all stacked together. Most folks don't realize what it takes to make a pound of sugar, or for that matter, most of the items we consume.

--G

Thank you for the warm replies.

Otis Redding popped into my head; "Sittin' on the dock of the bay...watchin' the tide roll away".
What a coincidence - as I read this, I'm listening to the great Otis....

Nice RR :clapping:

We don't get any sugar cane here, just those sugar beets. Same idea, but I bet a worse smell from the bagasse. I enjoyed the trip and hope we'll take a few more. Show us the Louisiana twisties next time. :lol:

Never seen a bayou....
It's really just a river. We have very little elevation change - my house sits at 24 feet above sea level and is at least 25 miles from the coast as the crow flies. Because of this, our Bayous are very slow moving. The ones along the coast are tidal. The one in the picture above is depicting a strong incoming tide at that time.

We don't get any sugar cane here, just those sugar beets. Same idea, but I bet a worse smell from the bagasse. I enjoyed the trip and hope we'll take a few more. Show us the Louisiana twisties next time.
My neighbor is from North Dakota and has shared the sugar beet process. Interesting how they are stockpiled until after a hard freeze, which apparently sweetens them. Our sugar can smell sweet in all forms. I've ridden 99% of the roads in Louisiana - most of the good ones are what I would call "curvy", not twisty. Still, I take the camera every time I ride (I'm a weekender, not a full timer, but I put nearly 12K miles on my bikes this year). What challenges me in south Louisiana is finding a relatively smooth curvy road. Our road conditions are plain horrible. The curvy roads are inevitably following a bayou in a rural area and many of them are laden with potholes.

Very nice report, beautiful and educational I want to visit Franklin now
This is the epitome of what my return to motorcycling has become. There's a ton of neat stuff in my own backyard. Every ride is an adventure for me.

My kinda redneck snack. Just add tabasco...
Interesting that you mention Tobasco. The picture with the tidal bayou was taken at the entrance to Avery Island, Louisiana. This island has been owned by the Mchelheny family for over 100 years. They are the founders of (and still manufacturer) tobassco products. I've toured the plant before and it was pretty neat.

Again, many thanks for reading my report.