In My Own Words - IBA Ride Report-The Artic Blasty

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
Thanks for having this forum; it has and will continue to be an inspiration; a wealth of knowledge; a place to share with neighbors; and More to each person than we can realize.

Bio...42 yr - Male - 6'2" - 240lbs and slight pre-hypertension. Married (15yrs) with 3 Sons...(ages) 17, 12, 10

Goal....To complete a IBA SS1000 and IBA BB1500

Destination.....From Houston, Tx to Los Angeles, Ca (Because) Family lives there--Sisters 50th B-day Bash--Straight shot on I-10 West

Climate..........From 40F -- to --19F --to -- 80F

Why say all the above? I want anyone who is thinking about doing this challenge/event to understand all aspects of my collective thoughts in considering such a personal endeavor. My first ever ride report...here goes.

Plan -start my ride on Thursday at 3am in the morning. 3 months out, read rules, printed forms, re-read rules, posted threads for thoughts on cold climate riding, riding gear, mental preparation; basically anything to help.

Read many, many ride reports on this forum. Scoured the internet for individual rider sites for ride reports. Gaining a perspective of what it is I was attempting to do, why do it and steps for success.

Performed all maintenance requirements necessary....dare I say "Iridium installs"... :rolleyes: It's just a spark plug...

Started packing 3 days out, tools (bike kit) , small compact husky set from Home depot (under seat), Left side saddle - small bag with sockets, air pump, tire repair kit rain suit and bike cover. Right side was clothing in saddle bag liner.

Trunk had power bars, route plans in protective pouch, bike disk lock w/reminder cord, 2 20oz bottles of water, phone cord..and extra flashlight.

Decided on gear that I wanted/needed to ride in. Detailed a route (yea straight shot right), still gotta plan those gas stops.

Last minute shopping included, padded biking underwear (have stock seat) , Eddie Bauer Sleeping bag 0F -30F (on clearance @Target $28 / reg. $56) and hand-feet warmer packets...oh and 1 can of Sea foam.

Everything closed easily, not too much weight on either side. Place tank bag on rear seat and strapped sleeping bag on top (Oh, this paid huge dividends).

Bike

2004 FJR ABS (of course) - Garmin GPS 330 - Radar detector (no hearing connections) - Heated Grips - M Frame sliders. Odometer Reading 16519k

Gear

Base layer Top-UA Cold gear long sleeve w/collar / Tour master Synergy heated Vest w/collar / Long Sleeve thermal shirt / Field sheer Track Paddock II Leather jacket w/full jacket liner.

Base Layer Bottom - Biking Boxer underwear w/padding / Hot Chilly's Geo Thermal for legs / Corduroy pants / Ski Pants w/installed CE protectors.

Helmet - GMAX-44 with installed speakers / 2gig MP-3 player mounted to helmet. UA-Balaclava Gloves - Field sheer Aqua sport gloves / and / Field sheer Heavy duty Eskimo gloves w/gaiter

Boots - Alpine stars Ridge waterproof boot / Thick wool sock from Cycle gear

Didn't Plan - Told wife (a rider herself 750 shadow), of course she was a bit apprehensive, a couple of friends who ride, mentioned it to one family member on west coast. It was truly unbelievable the feedback I was getting. What, why are you doing such a thing, dangerous, too far....yada yada yada, So I learned quickly to keep my mouth shut and chat on the forum. You do not need your confidence or focus to be shaken nor stirred with negative kharma (albeit from true love and concern).

Once I stopped talking, things settled a bit and I could just focus on the ride. Then Wednesday came. After returning from my last minute shopping the wife would not face me...literally..would run from room to room, not wanting to have any eye-contact. Why do I share you ask? The things others in their reports, didn't quite mention. I had to literally force her to look at me, and she had to force the tears not to come out....Then I understood. One thing I could say to her; Where is thou faith, Woman?...she sighed, I repeated...(sound familiar?) To that question she thought and her fears subsided, for she knew of what word I spoken. She began to gather her confidence. Mind you; no arguing, no talking, just avoidance. So the evening progressed and I showered by 6pm and was off to bed at 8pm set the alarm for 2:30am...after much thought; mind is comfortable and confident and off to sleep--when Ms. Confidence awakens me-(well let's just say I didn't get to sleep till after 11pm).

Alarm buzz- strap on gear-kiss the wife; get her as my witness; and off to Exxon on Beltway 8 / Fall brook. WTH - raining @ 52F...where is the cold artic blast...Take off vest.

Here is the start, got receipt, logged entry, hop on I-10

SS1000056.jpg

Get going...Not much to mention, all dark till San Antonio, Tx. Arrive in San Antonio; well, uh; there's the cold....dropped to the 38's F. 1st Gas Stop - Change to max protection gear(from cold). Oh yea, the vest feels nice..middle setting. Placed vest right on top of UA base layer. Get through San Antonio without a hitch, missed traffic and stopped in Texas Hill Country (Kerrville, Tx) 2nd gas stop. Now it's 30F.

SS1000016.jpg

Continue to Junction, Tx...23F. Well now I have a good little groove going. Daylight is rising fast, past a town called Ozona, Tx.....keep going. Something said, uh why does Ozona sound familiar...oh well; keep riding. 4 bars on gas..Oh Hell, was that was my gas stop?...Checked GPS, for nearest station ahead....over 80 and that was not in the direction I was going. Had to travel 10 miles to turn around and go back....Rookie(cold weather) mistake...could have been catastrophic. 4th gas stop in Ozona, Tx.

Okay, snack a power bar and let's keep rolling. Feeling strong, road good, now I can see the loneliness of the flat lands. Not much to look at, just rock and dirt with an asphalt strip. Fort Stockton 5th gas stop, Van Horn 6th gas stop. Man, I am having to use the bathroom way too much. I can usually go many hours, but for some reason, my bladder was smaller than a thimble. Drinking just enough to stay hydrated. Had to pull over early; make a pit stop and back up and rolling. Man, fresh morning air, and open road, just passing the same RV's over and over again. Each time I stopped for gas, I had to pas the same folks again...driving 60mph. Now, this is what started to happen, right around the 700mile mark, cramps began to hit my biceps. First it was my left; then it moved to my right one. In Fort Stockton, I got off; gassed up and started walking for relief. It worked a bit. 80 miles, restroom and cramps - have to stop. Difficult to raise my leg over the seat. Van Horn, 7th gas stop; it's getting worse. wrist; legs...darn it, have to stop again. I'm rocking and rolling with heavy fatigue (duh, that's why you are cramping guy) I said to myself. I said to self- let's pull over and take a lay down rest. Looked up at sign, outside of El paso, Tx and it read Rest Stop 2 miles, next one 52 miles...rolled the throttle, rest stop here I come. Never thought about quitting; just thought about the words, "Intestinal Fortitude".

Rest stop was just too darn far away.

SS1000024.jpg

Now, let me take a moment to share: First I pondered greatly before posting this pic, but in full disclosure and honesty I had to. The open road earlier prompted the max speed. What prompted Miss DPS was that I was laying on the throttle because of fatigue and I also missed a very important sign that said, speed limit back to 70mph, when for hundreds of miles it was at 80mph. I (as always) am polite to my LEO's, many friends and riders are serving in that capacity as well. I told her of my ignorance of not knowing the limit just reduced by 10mph, and was exhausted and was trying to get to the rest stop just 3/4 miles up the road...well honestly I think it was the radar that made her write it up...nah, not true..(as I learned) .they are writing up because everyone needs the money at every level of gov. We conversed and parted kindly, as I went on to the Rest Stop and laid down for about 30min. 1st cite in about 3yrs. 1st ever on a MC. I don't allow things like this to buzz me, like I did in the youth of my days. I take it in stride. I know that whatever or whomever is put in my path is put their for my good, that's how I choose to look at that. Truth is, I may have just bypassed that Rest Stop, just because El Paso was so close. But I stopped and rested, the cramps went away too. Back at the helm, a bit refreshed. Didn't actually sleep, just the attempt to refreshed me. Rolled into Las Cruces, NM 8th stop. Now for the first time, my buttocks began to become a bit sore. 900 miles, and it was the first I thought of my butt, and the seat. Not bad, I think the padded biking underwear paid off. During the stretch to Lordsburg, 9th stop, where I was supposed to shut it down; I didn't have enough miles. I was thinking, well this would be a great stop, just in time to watch the game (BCS Championship). I had a invite on the forum for a witness in Tucson, but I planned on Lordsburg. Thought about using hotel cpu and post up; but couldn't do it. Besides, didn't feel right about cold reaching for a witness, without warning on short notice and, the BCS game as well. I ended up going to Tucson, AZ. That's odd, I thought as I passed a little white suv parked on side of the road in the middle of nowhere, with no lights on and a long pole on top of it.....OH YEA! Those Sneaky SOG's. I remember someone posting about AZ using these photo trucks to trap innocent safe speeders. I didn't see any flashes so I reckon I made it through safely. I don't suppose the use some high-intensity night vision scope photography eh?

It was about 10:50 mt when I arrived and got fuel. SS1000 completed. (unofficial of course).

SS1000026.jpg

SS1000025.jpg

Got fuel, and last receipt. Got my witness to sign and found a motel for $28.00. Uh, yea I know sleeping bag; I was gonna do the iron butt motel, but it was 45F. I was fatigued and could't fight off a coyote if I had to. Did ya notice that the mileage from GPS and Bike were different. Yep, that was in the IBA rules too. Ya kinda wanna celebrate when you finish it. But people around you just kinda wonder what level of IQ you have to be riding in weather like this. I was looking for a little wine cooler (just one bottle) or something light, but the little deli store didn't have it. Good thing, didn't need it. I thought; don't want that kind of impairment, when you don't know how your body is going to react to it being so tired and sore.

Where are more pics, you ask? Well, when you are traveling at a consistent pace in the cold/freezing weather in the middle of Dessert, you don't stop to take pics...gloves were to thick to do while riding. Not much to look at anyways.

Well, should I mention that I tried to put the bike in the room with me. I requested the first floor of the 2 story motel. I had an overwhelming thought of waking up and bike gone. Well, it was too large with exhaust, so I put it right outside the window and door of room, broke it down and brought everything in with me, disk locked it; covered it up. That's kinda why I like cheaper motels, you can stay close to your stuff. Who know's what yahoos' would do to your stuff when your inside a brick building on the 10th floor.

Up and at em! It's 5am Tucson, AZ time. This was taken along the way.

SS1000028.jpg

I discovered with the set up I had (remember the words pay dividends), it made for a wonderful cruising backrest.

SS1000021.jpg

Well, caught a bit of traffic in Phoenix, AZ...however there was a local riding his v-twin headed to work I suppose. He passed me up and I traveled behind him through Phoenix. Good thing because he (and don't know if he'll ever know how much I appreciated it)

would lane change and slow down, to let me see the photo zone that they have, and another white suv with photo equipment. WTH, between Tuscon and Phoenix, I pushed the button on the vest and nothing, lights faded away...no heat..I was p'd. Wait till I get back. I can't go through this on the way back without my vest. Well, I could, but now I was spoiled to it.

Well it was a stop in Tonopah, AZ then to Cochella, CA and then my gps had me veer off to a road called hwy 60.

Now, for those of you who know Cali, like that; probably know about hwy 60. There is a section of it that says, lane restriction. Well when yo get in it, you kind of know why.

If I wasn't so fatigued I would have stopped and taken a photo. This road is carved in the side of a mountain. I mean, you go too fast and it's you ASS. You'd better pack a chute on your bike if you miss a high/low slide on your turn. Just when I began to relax a bit and say, let's ride this puppy, carefully, I hear a rumble, blipah, rumble, some idiot in a truck is going too fast, trying to pass me and is running out of his/her lane. I just slowed down and took a Daisy ride. My legs and but were too sore to try to move and lean for a spirited ride.

Azusa, CA...completion of the BB1500, Yea, I mean Busted Butt 1500. I eased into the MC dealership which I had chosen to be my stopping point. It's a great place; largest I've ever seen 'Bert's Mega Mall.

SS1000045.jpg

Started to unload, Oh H*&^, I forgot to stop and get a gas receipt. Loaded up and headed down about 1 mile to a shell and got the receipt with 20min to spare. (unofficial still)

SS1000042.jpg

Now, I go into this Mega Mall, Burning hot. The temps are 80F and rising. I am sweating with all my cold weather gear on. Ask for a manger to be a witness. My thinking is, surely a large MC shop like this has knowledge of this illustrious event. Buzz Buzz, not a clue did they have about what I was doing and why. They thought it was cool that I road in from Texas. Never heard of the IBA or the rides. I was disappointed and floored. No one to share the accomplishment with, to say way to go, or high five...nothing. Just signed the form and that's that. Took a 35min ride to my mothers house, put bike in garage, unpacked and locked him up. Why, I did not want to hear all the chatter about why did you ride your bike 1600 miles to CA. Successfully kept it a secret from everyone until the day I left. Thanks to the forum guys for their encouraging post of my planned ride thread. The encouragement goes a long ways. Especially when nobody around you knows WTH you are talking about.

Well, it's done...I can cruise home in a few days and take my time. I have to say this. It is and I repeat, It is not necessary to speed when doing these rides. You conserve much gas and energy if you just ride the posted limits.

This is the thoughts I had as I settled in my mind the day before leaving. I am gonna do this again. Why not? 2nd time is a charm isn't it.

A small modification to move the legs around and I should be good to go.

SS1000071.jpg

SS1000072.jpg

On short notice this was my highway calf rest pegs.....made from 1/2 inch pipe and a pipe connector fitting. A little tape on the pipe to make it fit snug in the slider and I was good to go. Little tape on the outside just in case this crappy set up, fell off, I didn't want it bouncing behind me, clunking someone's windshield. Laugh at it if you will, but it paid dividends.

SS1000014.jpg

SS1000057.jpg

Gear check, packed, tires checked.............and heated liner, fired right up....check.

Now, woke up Tuesday 2:30am, set to return to Texas. Missed all of the LA traffic. I chickened out on taking the 60 route, at least the part through death valley, caught up to it at hwy 15. (no comment)

Okay, same route back...just in reverse. Another meet up right outside of Tonepah, AZ with a LEO, lurking in the dusty medium. I was on my blinking bar for fuel and got caught behind some speeding cars. I just pulled over and waited. Nice guy. I moved on.

Less yap, and more pics of the hills.

SS1000061.jpg

SS1000059.jpg

SS1000034.jpg

Now, dividends on the foogly hwy peg rest... Before Tonepah, AZ I stopped at this little station for a pit stop, took the pic. coming out, going down hill, on glassy concrete, noticed that I wasn't lined up with drive, it was a drop off of 13inches.

Tried to brake and ease, but wheel and boots slid, bike went down. Those pegs, protected everything...turned bike off. braced - picked it up. Turn it back on, of course when I pushed the starter the clock reset...and trip odometer too.

SS1000023.jpg

Rolled on. The 18wheeler traffic was thick on the road. It was dark, so from dusk till Fort Stockton, TX I rode behind the trucks. They were my deer killers, I did not want that to be a part of my report. So those guys provided excellent protection. For a brief moment, I thought about a BBGold 1500, that illusion sailed with the cold and damp wind. Besides, coming out of Van Horn, there was a Border Patrol All stop, My deer killers were lined up miles deep in that line. I was the only non-18wheeler on the road. Caught up to one truck out of the Patrol stop, but it wasn't the same. Rode through and stopped in for the SS1000 -2 in Fort Stockton, TX. I kept seeing carnage on the side of the road in the dark.

I ride lit up a bit myself, every little bit helps.

SS1000011.jpg

Another bed motel and off I went 6am Wed. morning.

The whole trip back, kept seeing deer carnage from night before. Some places had a lot of burn marks. I think they burn the carnage, rather than pick it up...my guess.

I saw more TX DPS, than I had seen the whole trip. They had a total of 14 cars between Sequin and Sealy, TX. Clusters of them trying to keep the roads safe? I had no visits or conversations with them nice fellers.

Made it home with much time to spare. (Unofficial of course)

SS1000075.jpg

SS1000073.jpg

SS1000077.jpg

Thanks for allowing me to share this personal goal achievement (unofficial) with you.

Here are some tips I picked up that worked for me.

When you stop each time, walk around, don't stand or just sit. Each time I filled my tank, I would put the bike in neutral and push it to the storefront to a parking space and go inside. This little joust was to get the blood pumping in my legs. Simulating some type of resistance movement, to keep the atrophy from taking hold.

If fatigued, then lay down and close your eyes, you sleep fine, if you don't you are resting.

Don't speed. It's not worth it in any form.

A back rest of any kind is worth it's weight in gold. At times, I would one hand it and push back on my comfy packs for back rest. Also, with the heated liner, when my shoulders would ache a bit, I would just push back on the support and allow the heat to massage the muscles.

A cruise control would pay dividends as well. Will stop the wrist fatigue which leads to surging causing speeding. Will install some version before I try another ride like these. And Pray.

Eat just enough and drink just enough. Your body will go through some freaky changes. An after market seat; can't speak to it, but many swear by it. My bike padded underwear was good both ways till the 800 mile mark.

The heated vest liner was a must with the weather. All the gear performed great, well the heated grips were marginal (feeling) against the cold, but I knew they helped. The Eskimo gloves were stellar.

It's a great experience. Have your attitude in check. Only talk to those who know how to respond with positive kharma.

Oh, wait a minute here........

To one of the greatest rides ever engineered; a blessing to me from day one; a immeasurable amount of confidence inspiring performance, Truly a staple of strength and character. My Steed - Remington....he deserves a trip to relax.

SS1000078.jpg

Good day!

Last edited by a moderator:
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Well done! Good the vest worked out for you.

A small modification to move the legs around and I should be good to go.
SS1000071.jpg

SS1000072.jpg
:rofl: :rofl:

I guess whatever works!

What part of the route were you on Hwy 60 and what's the reference to Death Valley??? I thought you were on I-10 all the way in. And where is Tonepah AZ?

Very cool report, congratulations.

Thanks for sharing your insights, makes it easier for us candy butt riders to appreciate what goes into a ride like this.

DB

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
What part of the route were you on Hwy 60 and what's the reference to Death Valley??? I thought you were on I-10 all the way in. And where is Tonepah AZ?
Thanks neighbor.

Approaching California in a city called Beaumont, it branches off of I-10. The gps, took me this route 60 which runs through Moreno Valley. This road runs parallel with I-10 and then goes back up.

The Death Valley reference is that this road is carved through a mountain side, where a single layer 2ft. guard rail keeps you from plummeting to a 1000ft fall in some areas. Must maintain lane throughout the cliff area. Spots along route to pull over and take snap shots. Nice deep sweeping twisties.

Tonepah is a town going into AZ west of Phoenix. Very small.

Click

I don't know if this will work, but here is a google map photo...

What windshield are you using?
Thanks...

Honestly I am not sure. It was on the bike when I got it in June. It does not look to be v-stream nor from Yamaha.

Definitely offers good protection. Handles the wind well, causes a bit of buffeting when raised. Creates a nice quiet pocket though.

Nice report and great ride. I think of all the SS1000s or IBA1500's I read, yours is the most honest. Thanks for sharing the personal stuff too.

the hwy 60 deal is from beaumont to moreno valley,locally its called the badlands,not to scary (unless its your 1st time) but folks have run off the road and died and not found till someone has a reason to look over the side.road is lots better than it used to be as now it has a cement continuous k rail type divider for the 6 miles it runs.it used to be only a double yellow line.head ons all the time.

congrats on the 1000 and 1500.nice to know i have a contact in my familys texas connection.

gps screwed you tho,shoulda stayed on the 10 straight to burts motorcycle mall.