Inexpensive tire recommendation?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just that after you square them off they still have a lot of life left in them so you have to live with them longer.
Yep. That's what I'm trying to avoid.

The real solution is to ride on crooked roads of varying turn radiuses a larger percent of the time and get off the interstate. Or else get a car tire and embrace the squareness.
Agreed. About ten years ago I moved to Oregon and it solved the problem. But we moved back to Minnesota to be near our parents and start a family - at least I'm just a few miles from the alphabet roads in 'Sconny.

I use my FJR as an old guy sport bike in mountains and always run soft compound tires. I've used both Conti Motion and Pilot Power a lot for that and it's a good thing they're also relatively cheap because they don't last long. Between the two I prefer Pilot Power because it maintains its round profile on the front tire noticeably better that the Conti Motion.

I just put a Pilot Power 2CT rear on my bike which is the dual compound version of the Pilot Power. Traction is still excellent and it's only $8 more than the single compound Pilot Power at Motorcycle Superstore. I can't yet speak to its longevity so there might or might not be an advantage over the Pilot Power.

My actual cost per mile is the same running soft compound grippy tires as it is using higher mileage touring tires because the soft tires are cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I go with Pirelli Angels. I'm on my 3rd set. Haven't tried the new ones yet but I like the old ones a lot. Last set I just replaced got 7k out of the front and 8k out of the back. I used to run Conti Road Attacks and liked them but they just didn't last. These have similar handling and last a lot longer. My problem is I wear the sides of the front out be before the middle, was worse with the Conti's. To many twisties, but straight road is boring.

Just a quick update:

My brother had a rear Shinko 005 (raven?) with about 1/2 the tread left removed from his VFR in favor of a tire that would last to the west coast and back (i.e.a PR3 ...!) So I mounted the Shinko on the back, I figure I'll get 3k out of. So far it has stuck good for all cornering and weather requirements. But holy cow was this is a heavy tire - I think the worn tire itself (w/o rim) weighs more than a new PR3 on the rim. Took lots of weights to balance, and it appears I may only get 2k out of it before I'm down to cords, as the tire is wearing unevenly (i.e. some parts the tread is must thinner than others). Lesson: Shinko's stick OK but they have lots of unsprung weight (maybe they use steel cords?) and they wear too fast to be economical vs. other quality tires.

A friend came into my garage before a long ride to replace his VFR's tires with new PR3's. I get to keep the old rubber, which wasn't in bad shape. The rear was a half worn and patched PR3 - I will throw this on in the fall. The front is a 2/3's worn Pirelli Strada. I figured I'd get 3k out of this, to match the Shinko rear, but unfortunately it was down to cords in 600 miles and it was very difficult to balance (I had to mount / test ride / unmount / balance / mount three times before it stopped shaking at 110 mph). Lesson: Strada's are great on smaller machines.

I did get a Contimotion front for $70. Nice light tire, spooned on and balanced very well. I'm thinking this will last the rest of the Shinko and the spare PR3. At that point I'll be ready for a new set of PR3's for more long term trips. The verdict on the Contimotion is that it has adequate grip in the dry (I have not ridden in the rain yet), however, it lacks the feedback I am used to with the PR2/3's. It is very "numb" and it is difficult to feel what the front tire is really doing. I guess it's fine a budget tire, we'll see how it holds up over time.

I'm running the Conti-Motions. As far as I'm concerned, these tires do fine for me & I will likely stick with them for now. I bought the SET that I have sitting at home for $173.00 shipped. Bought at compacc.com. Keep in mind that this is a TERRIBLE 2up tire. I ran a 2up trip towards the beginning of the summer... not huge miles, either & ate the rear up in about 4,000 miles if that. The 1 up mileage... expect @ least 6,000-8,000 miles.

I have a friend here in VA Beach that loves the performance of the Shinkos... there is a catch. He says the rear is good over 72 degrees... not 70 or 71. He swears 72 degrees.

Keep in mind that this is a TERRIBLE 2up tire. I ran a 2up trip towards the beginning of the summer... not huge miles, either & ate the rear up in about 4,000 miles if that.
Yhea, I like em but your right the 1st one lasted 8k, but the last one I rode fully loaded 2 up with duke on 2 long trips and went to steel cord out in wy at about 5k

I've got right at 9000 on my conti motions and have been very happy with them. The rear should probably be changed now, but I plan to run it until this winter if it holds up, but I plan on putting the same thing back on. For the price I think they can't be beat.

I'm sad that you shot down the Exalto recommended to you at the beginning of this post. You talked about it being square. I wish you could ride my FJR. Honestly, for me, it handles just like a MT. The difference is so minor that it's just totally a non issue. Don't take my word for it. Read the darkside thread. But here's the deal, hands down, there's a lot of money to be saved with that one decision. I just retuned from burning up a few curves near the Tale of the Dragon. Several guys stopped to ask me what I thought of it. I told them how well it handles, and about the million plus miles we've documented on this forum concerning the safety and performance of running a CT on the FJR. I suppose I could have told them to just try and keep up with me out there, but I don't play that game. However, the tire is most definitely up to the task. The Exalto stuck like glue, the bike handled like dream, and I just passed 31k miles on my Exalto. My factory tire made 6500 miles and it was shot. Guess I'm a little heavy on the throttle. For me, that's a minimum of 4 rear tires. When I do the math, that 150 dollar Exalto has saved me a small fortune, and it's still got plenty of tread left.

If you're serious about saving money, there ya go.

Gary

darksider #44

I'm sad that you shot down the Exalto recommended to you at the beginning of this post. You talked about it being square. I wish you could ride my FJR. Honestly, for me, it handles just like a MT. The difference is so minor that it's just totally a non issue. Don't take my word for it. Read the darkside thread. But here's the deal, hands down, there's a lot of money to be saved with that one decision. I just retuned from burning up a few curves near the Tale of the Dragon. Several guys stopped to ask me what I thought of it. I told them how well it handles, and about the million plus miles we've documented on this forum concerning the safety and performance of running a CT on the FJR. I suppose I could have told them to just try and keep up with me out there, but I don't play that game. However, the tire is most definitely up to the task. The Exalto stuck like glue, the bike handled like dream, and I just passed 31k miles on my Exalto. My factory tire made 6500 miles and it was shot. Guess I'm a little heavy on the throttle. For me, that's a minimum of 4 rear tires. When I do the math, that 150 dollar Exalto has saved me a small fortune, and it's still got plenty of tread left.

Gary

darksider #44
Well explained, Gary, but far too logical.

If someone wants the performance of a $200 tire, but only wants to pay $100, something has to give. Expecting that a reduction in longevity of the tire will accomplish the cost reduction without a commensurate performance loss is... wishful thinking. A sticky track tire has great performance and short life - but high cost.

Everything is a trade off. True economy trades less and gets more.

But an Exhalto?

In some circles suggesting a car tire is like suggesting ... Wearing a dress. That's an idea that you could sell to a Scotsman - they know value, and aren't afraid to show a wee bit o' leg!

"...get a car tire and embrace the squareness." ( thanks, Fred. )

Wise words, my friend. However, I am a teacher, Brett. We understand the apparent futility of placing unwanted food on the table. But what can I do with a kitchen full of food because I love to cook? And when I arise tomorrow, I'll be studying calories and enzymes and working out new tastier recipes yet again.

Gary

darksider #44

Hi Gary,

If you're ever in my neck of the woods (SE MN / SW WI) PM me and let me take your CT-FJR for a spin in the twisties so I can compare. I'm not buying a whole hog until I can determine whether I like the taste!

Gotcherselfadealsir. Or on the other hand, if you get sick of looking at snow come this winter I'm only 1 1/2 hrs from Disney. We can meet up.

Gary

Gary

darksider #44
And if you put one on the front, you may have a life time set up!
tonguesmiley.gif

I wanted to update my post from page 1. I tried a set of Conti-Motions as a cheaper alternative to PR2s. I burned up the rear by ~5K miles (I usually get ~15K out of PR2s), and the front I took to Alaska.

It got a wire puncture - it looked like maybe something from a steel cable - anyway I couldn't get it patched via gummy worms, it just kept ripping. There was a little truck tire/welding shop ~7 miles away (I was in Burwash Landing - shop in Destruction Bay, Yukon: https://tinyurl.com/ma6vkb4 ). The guy that ran the little shop couldn't even patch it from the inside - he kept saying things like "This is a flimsy tire, eh?" I got lucky because a local was in Whitehorse and brought me a tire from the Yamaha shop there that I paid for via phone CC.

Moral of the story - no more cheap tires, esp Conti-Motions! In my case, I'm not saving anything. I'll stick to Michelins from now on and just try to get the best deal I can.

Ya just ain't lived until you're sitting in the mud while it's raining with them big skeeters all around, taking the wheel off and on, sometimes more than once! My brakes have been squealing ever since, but they work!

FYI, just a suggestion, if you are stranded in someplace like the Alcan and you need help from the locals, be nice! And don't be afraid of slipping a $20 here and there as needed, because that's the true cost of a cheap tire. If I hadn't got lucky with getting the new Pirelli Diablo up from Whitehorse, I was going to pay a local with a pickup to load my bike up and take me to either Whitehorse or Fairbanks. Gas + $200 will usually motivate 'em or so I hoped.

It got a wire puncture - it looked like maybe something from a steel cable - anyway I couldn't get it patched via gummy worms, it just kept ripping.
I recently tried a set of Conti Motions also and had almost the exact problem with the rear. Looked like a piece of wire pierced the tread at an angle. I put a sticky string in it and ran it 1000 miles on a long weekend trip, but when I got home it started leaking. BTW, those 1000 miles on slab really flat spotted the rear that I had kept fairly round up to that point. Because it was down to wear bars, I pulled it off and tossed it.

I wanted to update my post from page 1. I tried a set of Conti-Motions as a cheaper alternative to PR2s. I burned up the rear by ~5K miles (I usually get ~15K out of PR2s), and the front I took to Alaska.
It got a wire puncture - it looked like maybe something from a steel cable - anyway I couldn't get it patched via gummy worms, it just kept ripping. There was a little truck tire/welding shop ~7 miles away (I was in Burwash Landing - shop in Destruction Bay, Yukon: https://tinyurl.com/ma6vkb4 ). The guy that ran the little shop couldn't even patch it from the inside - he kept saying things like "This is a flimsy tire, eh?" I got lucky because a local was in Whitehorse and brought me a tire from the Yamaha shop there that I paid for via phone CC.

Moral of the story - no more cheap tires, esp Conti-Motions! In my case, I'm not saving anything. I'll stick to Michelins from now on and just try to get the best deal I can.

Ya just ain't lived until you're sitting in the mud while it's raining with them big skeeters all around, taking the wheel off and on, sometimes more than once! My brakes have been squealing ever since, but they work!

FYI, just a suggestion, if you are stranded in someplace like the Alcan and you need help from the locals, be nice! And don't be afraid of slipping a $20 here and there as needed, because that's the true cost of a cheap tire. If I hadn't got lucky with getting the new Pirelli Diablo up from Whitehorse, I was going to pay a local with a pickup to load my bike up and take me to either Whitehorse or Fairbanks. Gas + $200 will usually motivate 'em or so I hoped.
Another great reason to go with a car tire on the rear. Simple to fix, simple to replace...in any country.