Lamest Ride to Eat ever or a great Saddlesore 1000?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goodman4

Pressing on
Reaction score
I just finished my attempt for IBA certification with a Saddlesore 1000 ride to Mobile AL and back. I rode it on the Wing since it would be all interstate and the cruise helps a lot.

I was pleasantly surprised to find it was easier than I expected. Tam and I have done several long trips on the Wing but even on the Interstate we've been pretty much toast after 500 miles, and 600 was the furthest I'd done in a day. I planned to drive to Mobile AL, take an hour to eat and see the bay before heading back and take a few hour rest stop 1/4 of the way back so it would feel like a 600 and a 400 mile trip to my body, which I hoped I could handle.

When I got to Mobile, I pulled in at the USS Alabama (we toured it 12 years ago) and took a pic

PA234887.jpg

and then snapped one of the bay

PA234891.jpg

...then stopped for gas at the turnaround point.

But I wasn't too hungry and felt like riding more than taking a break. I looked for something to munch on at the gas station and didn't like the look of the $4.50 turkey sandwich in the case, so I asked how much a slice of pizza was. She said it had been there a long time so she'd sell it to me cheap for $1.25. A bit dry, but it hit the spot.

Instead of taking a break I kept riding and called my daughter who is in college in Birmingham and told her I'd be coming through for a late snack instead of an early breakfast, so she met me for a nice visit. I still was in the mood for riding so I kept going and finished the 1000 miles without any real rest breaks other than the visit in B-ham. I even started calculating as I approached the end whether I had enough time to go another 450 miles and get a Bun Burner Gold. But I didn't and I probably would have hit my limit somewhere in there. Still I was shocked how much better I felt than expected.

I am still thinking about why it was so much easier than our other trips, and I think the biggest factor is weather. Thinking back, every trip we have ever taken has either started with 90-95 degree heat or heavy rain on the first day. It was perfect 65 to 79 degree weather this ride. We are good at handling riding in the heat, but it must make us more tired than we realized. We've usually had great weather in the middle when we needed it most, so I'm not complaining. But now I think we can push the slab a lot farther at the beginning of our next trip if we can leave in good weather.

As far as the Saddlesore, I'll get everything submitted this week and hopefully can be an official IBA member in a month or two. Otherwise, that $1.25 slice of pizza was NOT worth the 500 mile drive.
rolleyes.gif

Congratulations on completing your ride! The ride may have been easier due to your mindset at the beginning of the challenge. I found myself toast after a ‘long day’ of riding with other riders that consider 350 miles max on a bike. But yet when I did my first SS1 I was like you, I felt good and felt as though I could have ridden more. After completing my Coast to Coast and wondering back towards home I found myself in Kansas City, after about a week on the bike I wondered if I could do a SS1 after that. I found I could, and it did not beat me up like I thought it would. Mindset, that’s where it’s all at. And maybe the pepperoni pizza. The pizza may have not been worth the ride, but the memory is yours forever!

Congrats on the accomplishment! Although it might not be the best pizza you've ever had, it will be the one with the most memories. Oh, and be careful...once you begin this silliness, there's likely more in your future. ;-)

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking Wing. Congrats. I agree moderate temps help keep you refreshed in the saddle. I did a 1k day once and the weather was in the low '70's the entire day.

Congrats on your first SS1000! I just did my first in August and am still waiting the cert so be patient. As stated once you've done that first one watch out! I'm planning another for in the Spring!

Congrats on your SS1000!

Bummer you didn't have any time at the USS Alabama. There's an aircraft pavilion on the property that has an A12 (the CIA's version of the SR-71) that's wicked cool.

Congrats on the SS. Wife and me did our first in June on the FJR with a chilly launch, then mostly 60-80. Temps have a large effect I think. We finished with 1045 for the day and I felt pretty good, better than expected and could have done more, but I detest riding in the dark in these parts. Too many big four-leggeds. It is nice to know that your previous upper limits can be surpassed...and sometimes by large margins.

The answer to your question is: "Great Saddlesore 1000." Why? Because you met all the requirements, collected all the receipts, and made it home safely.

Next time work out the timing better and take your daughter to breakfast. An hour off the bike with family, conversation, and good food is the bee's knees before taking on the final miles.

Congrats on the SS, but I feel bad for you. My lunch was TOTALLY worth the 500 mile trip.
biggrin.png

So wait...

Was it really a $1.25 slice of pizza? Or was it a $1.25 plus 500 mile ride slice?

I think maybe the latter is worth a lot more.

Get it?

Is the submarine U.S.S. Drum still there? Haven't been down to Mobile in a decade.
Yep, the Drum is still there. Tom and Leslie, who began the restoration about the time you were there are still at it.

Tom served on the same sub I did tho earlier. Saw him and Les at a Navy reunion in Mobile June, this yr. Toured the Drum, had lunch in the wardroom on the Alabama. It was a hoot!

Hunley replica foreground, Drum in the background

DSCN4645_zps21ucatat.jpg

[/hijack]

I'm just joking about the pizza not being worth it. The ride and accomplishment were far more enjoyable than any meal would have been and the slice of pizza did its job. Though I have no idea if it was pepperoni or sausage as the meat had dried long enough under the heat lamp that the shape and flavor were not discernible.
smile.png

We also toured the Drum when we were there 12 years ago. I especially enjoyed that since my dad spent some time on a sub in WWII as a diesel mechanic.