Lunch in Markleeville!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
My son and I try to take a M/C ride to celebrate Fathers Day, so this year we decided to do a cross-Sierra day trip!  Jeff rides a 2005 Suzuki Bandit 1200s, so he’s good partner to the might of the FJR.

We left his house in Fresno at 7:00am and headed north on 99 to Merced where we grabbed J59 and headed north to108/49 and Jamestown, which made for coffee break time at Day-O coffee.  From Jimtown we proceeded north on 49 to Jackson where we took 88 and headed up to the high mountains passing Silver Lake and Caples Lake, and then crested Carson Pass at 12:30 (72 degrees-nice!). From there we headed on to 89 and Markleeville for lunch. There use to be 2 sammich places in town, but now there’s just the Alps House, and it was busy but the lunch was very good. The restaurant that use to be in the bottom floor of the old hotel is now being made into a brewery, so a big change in the works there. The Stonefly restaurant is still in business, but is a dinner-place only, so no lunch there. After lunch, as Jeff had never been up Monitor Pass, we ran up to the summit and then right back down to start climbing up Highway 4 towards Ebbetts Pass. We crested Ebbetts Pass at 3:00pm (73 degrees) and started down the mountain. Murphys was a good spot for late coffee, so we went to Grounds on the Main St and kicked back for a spell.  From Murphys we headed out Murphys Grade Road to Angels Camp, then south on 49 to Jamestown and then just repeated our way home that we had done on the way up.

It was a great ride with my boy, and I know my Dad (who was my riding partner for years prior to being taken by Lou Gerig’s/ALS) was watching from Heaven and was right there with us all day. By the time I got back to Kingsburg I had 530 miles for the day, and with my trip to Tonopah last weekend I had bagged over 2000 miles in a weeks time! That’s a new record for me....

Keep the rubber down,

Brian

The road surfaces on 88 and 4 were both very good. 89 up to Monitor Pass had the usual tar snakes that make corners “interesting”.

i think with Tioga Pass closed to through traffic (must have a reservation to even pass through) has brought more traffic to 88, 4 and 108, especially 108 (Sonora Pass).

Biknflyfisher