Moto Crew Event Volunteers Needed - CA and NY - Out of the Darkness Overnight Walk (AFSP)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler

Miss Demeanor
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
In 2012, I volunteered to be a part of the moto crew for the Out of the Darkness Overnight Walk benefitting the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP)… main website located here and the event website is located here. It was my first time doing an event like this and it was a really incredible and rewarding experience. Sam/nightshine and SacMike both participated on the crew as well. Some photos from that year’s event here.

This year will be held in two locations – San Francisco, CA, on May 21, 2016, and New York, NY, on June 4, 2016. The crew coordinator, Joe Polizzi, who has become a good friend through this experience, asked me if I might know of anyone in these areas that might like to participate so I’m sharing the details with anyone who might be interested.

The Out of the Darkness Overnight, organized by the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention (AFSP), is a 16-18-mile journey through the night, from dusk until dawn. It's a unique opportunity to bring the issues of depression and suicide into the light as thousands of participants walk together to turn heartbreak into hope for tomorrow. Every step they take and dollar raised for the event will help AFSP continue to develop research and educational programs that will benefit those affected by mood disorders and suicide.

They are looking for motorcyclists to be a part of the Crew who support Walkers along the Route. Motorcycle Safety is tasked with assisting at difficult intersections and alerting Walkers to dangerous situations. There are also other crew and volunteer opportunities that don’t involve motorcycles so check it out and see where you might be able to help out if you would like to do so.

FYI, there is a registration fee of $50 – this fee helps to defray costs of meals, event shirts, supplies, vehicles (non-moto related), pre-event training and fundraising support and resources. I know there are some folks who aren’t keen on having to pay a fee to participate in the event and I understand that point of view. I personally look at it as my way of supporting the event. They are, however, offering a 30% discount if you register by November 29, 2015 so that fee would only be $35. To receive your discounted registration, simply enter discount code Alumni2016 during the registration process online or by calling 424.258.0533.

Here is the website if you’d like more information or would like to sign up to volunteer for any one of the crews:

https://theovernight.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cms.page&id=1022

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions about the event. You are also welcome to contact the Crew Coordinator, Joe Polizzi, directly with any questions:

Joe Polizzi | The Overnight | Crew Coordinator
424.258.0533 | [email protected]

Thanks for looking! B)

Since doing this in S.F. in 2012, I keep getting emails asking if I'd like to participate again in upcoming walks--like in Boston and New York City, to name two. Not really do-able for me, but when I heard it was coming back to S.F. I knew I'd be in again. It was very rewarding to be a part of. We attended a couple of advance meetings to go through what we'd be doing and the "why" of it all, then came back on the day of the march for our final assignments and our color-coordinated t-shirts (each team was identified that way--moto safety was orange).

Once the march began, we were deployed in pairs to our first stops and waited there till the crowd of marchers had all passed us by, then leap-frogged to the front of the pack at our next stop. With maybe 15 or so riders, I suppose we each worked 10 or 12 intersections, with all the marchers walking past us each time, so we began to recognize and get to know some of them. It was a very friendly event for sure. We didn't try to direct traffic, or have any standing to do that. Instead, we'd just hold up the throng of marchers to let the cars get through as needed--which got easier as the "pack" strung out more and more over many blocks.

I'd encourage anyone on the forum who can get there and make a couple meetings, plus the overnight event itself to participate (register by the end of November). You'll be glad you did.

I enjoyed serving at this event last time it was in San Francisco, and've signed up again.

More funner than hall monitor in grade school!
smile.png

So come join us. Pitch in and help if you can!

Bumping this thread. I registered today for the May 21 event in San Francisco. Full disclosure, there is a $50 fee to register, even though you're volunteering and so on, but there is SO much advance work, and it's such a worthwhile event, it's easy to just pay it with no complaints. (Edit: just re-read Tyler's post about the discount for early registering by 11/30, so make that $35) The ones who actually walk the 18 mile up-and-down-San Francisco route are actually asked (required, I think) to commit to raising $1,000 each for the cause, which they do by securing sponsors to support them--maybe so much per mile walked. There's no such requirement for Crew members (that would be us), but fund raising certainly isn't discouraged. I am NOT asking, but if anybody wanted to send a PM to Sam, Tyler, or me and offer a few nickles for the sponsoring organization, well . . . But I'm not asking.

But I AM asking you in this area to think about participating. Cool, fun thing to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts