Motorcycling the Georgia coast

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaRoller

Exit Stage Left
Reaction score

St. Simons Island Lighthouse - GA Coast

Georgia's entire 100 mile long coastline along the Atlantic Ocean is comprised of barrier islands. It is a very unique coastline and unlike any other stretch along the eastern seaboard of the United States. The islands are composed basically of dune and beach-ridge sands. They were shaped—and are still being altered—by wind, waves, currents, tides, and a slowly rising or stable sea level. From north to south going from the South Carolina border down to the Florida border the barrier islands of Georgia are Tybee, Little Tybee, Ossabaw, Wassaw, St. Catherines, Sapelo, Wolf, Blackbear, Sea Island, St. Simons, Little St. Simons, Jekyll, Little Cumberland, and Cumberland.

Separated from the mainland by a four- to six-mile-wide band of salt marsh, tidal creeks, and estuaries. Georgia's barrier islands are under various types of ownership and management. Jekyll, Sea Island, St. Simons, and Tybee islands are developed and connected to the mainland by bridges and causeways. Much of Jekyll is a state park. The other barrier islands are accessible only by boat. Of these, Blackbeard, Wassaw, and Wolf islands are national wildlife refuges. Little Tybee, Ossabaw, and Sapelo are owned by the state of Georgia. The Cumberland Island National Seashore is managed by the National Park Service. Little Cumberland, Little St. Simons, and St. Catherines are privately owned. There is no continuous north to south highway that takes you along the water's edge like you might find in Florida or California. You have to ride or ferry east to each island, explore it, back track, head up the coast and then check out the next one. In a way I'm glad for this because it keeps human encroachment to the environment down to a minimum.

Most of these barrier islands are nature preserves and are protected sanctuaries for various types of wildlife from wide varieties of migrating bird populations as well as sea turtles. The local seafood is terrific, the constant sea-breeze is refreshing & the different micro environments you see are outstanding. Great bike trip to take with your significant other on to share.

Take your time, check out each island, get off the beaten path and see something new. This is the antithesis of riding to Daytona or Sturgis (Barf)...thank GOD!!!!

(Clickable Links Below) Places I would recommend you visiting are (Traveling North to South)

Route Map Link (Stay off of interstate I-95...because...well...only serial killers ride the interstate instead of the backroads!) lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Great pictures my friend!! Really, really, really good! I love how your pictures speak to me in volumes! The compositions, the texture, the colors and saturation. Everything just right, everything just perfect for the chosen shot. Hats off once again! :)

Wonderful photos as ever!!
smile.png

Thanks for the sharing with us!!

Great pictures my friend!! Really, really, really good! I love how your pictures speak to me in volumes! The compositions, the texture, the colors and saturation. Everything just right, everything just perfect for the chosen shot. Hats off once again!
smile.png
Yeah what he said... love the dripping moss hanging from the trees... although it make me feel clammy since the last time I was out that way was in summer and it gets just a wee bit humid around then... ;) lol

Hoping to plan an around the US trip next year... you're on my list! B)

Great pictures my friend!! Really, really, really good! I love how your pictures speak to me in volumes! The compositions, the texture, the colors and saturation. Everything just right, everything just perfect for the chosen shot. Hats off once again!
smile.png
Yeah what he said... love the dripping moss hanging from the trees... although it make me feel clammy since the last time I was out that way was in summer and it gets just a wee bit humid around then...
wink.png
lol

Hoping to plan an around the US trip next year... you're on my list!
cool.png
Kindred spirits...
friends.gif

smile.png
Your way too kind! But I do appreciate it!

Wonderful photos as ever!!
smile.png
Thanks for the sharing with us!!
Your welcome.

Great pics! And that's in the one whole quarter of the continent I've yet to see at all. Someday, dammit.
Yeah I've go the whole west side of the U.S. yet to ride....sigh.

... although it make me feel clammy since the last time I was out that way was in summer and it gets just a wee bit humid around then...
wink.png
lol
Yeah it does get like that in the summer...which is why I like to go down to the coast in early Spring.

Looks like beautiful country! Thanks for sharing!
I thought I'd highlight the GA Coast because it's not really on anyone's radar as a riding destination.

Amazing. Never knew this all existed.

..oh, btw, there is a hot looking woman in one of your pix.. looks like she might be motobiker. I suggest you introduce your badself and see if she might go for a ride?
punk.gif

(Clickable Links Below) Places I would recommend you visiting are (Traveling North to South)

Route Map Link (Stay off of interstate I-95...because...well...only serial killers ride the interstate instead of the backroads!) lol

Man, you've made me home sick. I grew up in Midway which is about 20 minutes outside of Savannah. During my teenage years we would always take the boat out to St. Catherine's. It was always one heck of a party.

Man, you've made me home sick. I grew up in Midway which is about 20 minutes outside of Savannah. During my teenage years we would always take the boat out to St. Catherine's. It was always one heck of a party.
Savannah is a really, really cool town!

Thanks for another wonderful ride report! The coast does have many wonderful sites to visit - I used to live on the NC coast. But, it begs the question: How were you able to sustain that much twistyless riding to get there!?
smile.png

Thanks for another wonderful ride report! The coast does have many wonderful sites to visit - I used to live on the NC coast. But, it begs the question: How were you able to sustain that much twistyless riding to get there!?
smile.png
The 3hr ride on I-16 from Macon to Savannah is about as boring as all get out! Just kept telling myself it would be worth it once I get there! lol....and it was. Which is why once you get to the coast you slow down, take your time and enjoy each stop. A once a year run to the coast is something I can handle. The other 98% of the time I'm in the mountains.

Last edited by a moderator: