Mt. Baker & Artist point recon.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Checking out my newly plugged new PR 4 so what could be better than this route for the day. Artist point is 127miles from the doorstep. Tire plug holding up fine so far. First off anyone doing this ride coming up from the South on I-5 or 405 I would recommend staying Northbound on I-5 till the Camano Isl. exit and and turning right on Bryant road (East) to highway 9 and turning N. on highway 9. I say this because on a map it looks like taking 522 to highway 9 and heading N. on 9 would be most convenient. I live around here and 9 can be a Charley Frank through built up areas and traffic lights all the way to Arlington. Breakfast was at the renowned (locally) Iron Skillet in Sedro Wooly. If you get there between 6 and 8am they have a steak and egg breakfast for $8.95, which is a great deal that I have never made and it costs me $11.95. Today was ham&eggs with a fruit substitute for the hashbrowns. N. on 9 out of Sedro is a nice road, however, it is a 50mph speed limit with a couple of 45s and 35s thrown in in spots, you will see LEOs on the weekends. Noted a lot of big trucks going S on 9 down to Sedro, avoiding I-5 and maybe the scales. Once you hook up on 542 East the speed goes up to 55. Speeding on either of these roads is to miss a lot of scenery enjoyment. I personally enjoy the back ways without attacking them. Noticed the Acme dinner was open, bikes parked out in front. 542 up Baker is a beautiful ride with lots of character and scenic vistas, not to mention the curvy stuff and some really tight switchbacks, would not lug the bike as it will heat up fast, fair amount of stopping to gawk. Take a camera. Some years Artist Pt. never opens, this year it opened May14. There are picnic areas, with views, had I more time I would have taken a lunch but I had to get home. If it is at all possible to fudge a day off during the week and go it changes the whole experience.