My FJR tool kit.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tango Sierra

Reaction score
When I got my FJR last year I took one look at the tool kit and said that will never do. Over the last 45 years of buying tools I've acquired quite a few duplicates and triplicates. From these extra tools I assembled a kit that should suffice for most roadside or motel parking lot repairs.

My kit consists of:
5/16, 3/16 and 1/8 flat blade screw drivers
#1 and #2 phillips screw drivers
1/4" drive torque wrench w/ 3/8" socket adapter attached
1/4" ratchet wrench (duplicates what the torque wrench can handle but I had 3 of these laying around)
3/8" long handle flex head ratchet wrench.
3" long 3/8" driver extension
19mm 3/8" socket
3" long 1/4" driver extension
10mm 1/4" socket
9" Channel Lock pliers
8" Crescent adjustable wrench
4mm, 5mm & 5/32" Allen wrenches (can't remember why I'm packing the 5/32. must fit some after market accessory I have installed on the bike)
6" long 5mm Allen head wrench with 3/8" socket driver head for use with some hard to reach fasteners.
scissors
electrical tape
valve stem tool
vise grips

A full set of sockets and wrenches are not needed.

The tools are organized and stored in a Fire Hose Tool Roll from DuluthTrading.com
It shouldn't be needed to say it ain't gonna fit under the seat but there are plenty of other places to store it.

Here is mine.
IMG_0889-2_zps165ac4d4.jpg

IMG_0885-2_zpsea19130c.jpg

link to tool roll
https://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-workshop/tool-bags-tool-belts/tool-bags/28017.aspx

I also carry a tire plug kit and a can of tire inflater and I always have my Benchmade Model 710 folding knife in my pocket.

Anything needed beyond this kit or if I need to pull a wheel then I'll call for a tow.

I once carried an "extended" tool kit, but found it more useful on other people's bikes than on my own. It was hard to break a tradition of carrying a bunch of tools with me...a habit formed from once owning a VW Bug that required regular road-side repair... These days, in addition to the OEM kit, I carry a Slime air pump (fits neatly under rider seat), sticky strings & associated accessories, Leatherman, zip ties/electrical tape, fuses, a couple allen wrenches for fasteners, and sometimes, tail light/marker light bulbs (I often give up my spare bulbs to other riders). The Slime pump and sticky strings have seen a fair amount of away-from-home duty.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting...
Number of times I have needed a tool kit while out riding on my FJR in 96,000 miles - ZERO.
I could say the same thing for my FJR's 75,000 miles until last night. Seems that the wife was a little too vigorous with the key to her new Honda NC700X while opening the "Frunk" and twisted the key into a nice spiral shape. Then she couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go into the ignition.

I can attest that the piece of crap pliers in the FJR kit are capable of straightening out a key without falling apart (the pliers that is).
wink.png

Interesting...
Number of times I have needed a tool kit while out riding on my FJR in 96,000 miles - ZERO.
zing! (and +1)

(I have never had my cheesy Yamaha tools out of the pouch)

Now tahr plugging and inflatulating equipment is a whole 'nother story

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree about feeling naked without tools...out by ourselves on the lonely roads of the American Southwest with wifey, I did not feel comfortable without a good toolkit. You know, in case I get my wrist lodged between a bolder and a cliff, and my wife needs to open a beer while I cry for help.

I too have had occasion to use the slime tire pump. It does fit nicely under the seat, and sticky plugs etc also fit in the case. Beware, the gen III power outlet will not run the pump for long. The fuse is just not up to the task. I run a the slime pump off the same pig tail I have on the battery to run the battery tender.

I have added a few torx and hex keys to the stock cheesy toolkit. And, I have used it a few times on the road, but always either to plug a tire or to fix or tighten something that I added. These days I also carry a spare quart of oil. My 140k mile FJR uses some when doing heavy and prolonged compression braking.

I could say the same thing for my FJR's 75,000 miles until last night. Seems that the wife was a little too vigorous with the key to her new Honda NC700X while opening the "Frunk" and twisted the key into a nice spiral shape. Then she couldn't figure out why it wouldn't go into the ignition.
I can attest that the piece of crap pliers in the FJR kit are capable of straightening out a key without falling apart (the pliers that is).
wink.png
Carefull with that key - it is now weakened. I'd suggest you have a copy made from a hard steel blank. Heck, I'd suggest doing that even with the FJR key, I've bent that a couple times too.

I'd suggest replacing the standard philips screwdriver with a "JIS" style. Took me a long time to discover why I was wrecking the philips style fasteners on my Japanese bikes. They ain't the same.

wink.png
Carefull with that key - it is now weakened. I'd suggest you have a copy made from a hard steel blank. Heck, I'd suggest doing that even with the FJR key, I've bent that a couple times too.
+1I don't even use my FJR keys anymore because they are made of the same pot metal as the wife's new HOnda key. You can betcha that I'll be stopping by the locksmith for some more durable versions for her bike!

I used the factory tool kit on my FJR a couple of days ago. A 50km long dirt road rattled one of my mirrors loose. It also rattled my dads kick stand loose :D