NERDS '13 - Roll Your Own Routes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
As mentioned previously, for NERDS 3 in Stowe, Vermont this year we still have the eleven old route options that we've had in the last two go 'rounds. And those are all still available for download from the FJR NERDS '13 Official Web Site Ride Routes Page in GPS file or Google Map w/ Turn by Turn Directions formats.

But for those with a real case of wanderlust, those who think it's "Time For Something Completely Different," and those who have a bit of an Adventurous side to their riding persona, I offer to you the

NERDS '13 Roll Your Own Routes option (RYOR)

Here's how it works:

We provide you with the list of interesting Vermont "locations", scattered all over the state, that we had used in the Treasure Hunt last year. These locations fall into several different categories of interest: Tourist Traps Destinations, State Parks, Breweries, Wineries, Historical Sites including a few Dead Presidents, Museums, Ski Areas.

We've also included the Post Offices in towns in the 4 corners of Vermont for the Iron Butt types. That'll run you over 600 miles and take about 11 hours of saddle time to bag all four if you use the highways. And that is an option (using the highways, that is) since some are actually quite scenic and all are wide open.

But here is how I suggest that you "RYOR" for NERDS '13:

1) First download the appropriate Waypoint file for your GPS (right click and save it to your hard drive):

Garmin users - NERDS'13 Roll Your Own Route.gdb

Generic GPX file - NERDS'13_Roll_Your_Own_Route.gpx

2) Then go into your GPS and your Mapsource (or Basecamp) application settings/configuration and turn on the appropriate routing avoidances. I suggest avoiding Highways, Interstates and (optionally) Unpaved Roads.

3) Import the GPS waypoint file that you downloaded above into Mapsource (or Basecamp). They will all be listed in the Waypoints list there.

4) Now... download the entire (categorized) list of waypoints so you can pick and choose which ones you think you might want to visit.

The list is available as either an excel spreadsheet or in pdf file formats, with the big advantage of the spreadsheet being that all of the hot links are active for you to see (on the interwebs) what each location is all about just by clicking it. (hopefully all the links are still alive, I didn't re-check them from last year)

Waypoint List in MS excel Spreadsheet format : NERDS'13_Roll_Your_Own_Route_Waypoint_List.xls

Waypoint List in generic pdf (no hot links) format: NERDS'13_Roll_Your_Own_Route_Waypoint_List.pdf

5) The final step is to just connect the dots in Mapsource and let the routing happen where it may. Which locations what order and what part of the state you choose is totally up to you. Pick them all from one themed category, or pick and choose the best from several categories.

Most of the back roads and state roads in Vermont are good in one way or another: either scenic or good riding, or both. So, you really can't go wrong. By not avoiding dirt roads, since there are so many of them in VT, you are quite likely to encounter a few, so that will up the Adventure quotient somewhat.

Once you've got your own route all rolled at about the right length in time and distance (remember that will be saddle time) just save a copy, and push it to your GPS, and you are ready to go at it.

I'd suggest deleting the unused waypoints (the ones that you know you don't want to visit) before you export the routes to your GPS to keep the clutter down there.

Also, when you make your final route, it's usually a good idea to end it at the last waypoint rather than making it come back to the Commodores Inn, as GPS routes often fail to run correctly if they are a complete loop. They sometimes will say that you have already arrived before you even leave the parking lot.
not_i.gif

At any time during your ride day, at the last intended waypoint, or if you want to abort the route early, you can just stop it from running and press "Go To" the "Commodores Inn" waypoint and you'll get another back roads route back to NERDS Central because of those avoidances. You could clear the "avoid highways" if you wanna get back faster, you know... so you don't miss happy hour(s) or something important like that.
wink.png

For the curmudgeonly types who don't believe in GPS'es, you can still download the waypoints list (in either format), look up the address locations in Google Maps or some-such web site and put your dots and lines on your paper maps to Roll Your Own Route on Paper (RYORoP).

RYO is an option for any day you want to try it during NERDS. Share your route with some other folks and make an impromptu group ride out of it if you wish. (for the name of the route on the group ride list just write "RYOR" and list a few of the key waypoints)

Lot's of choices here, so the rest is up to you.

'Cause that how we NERDS roll...

Yeah, we're all about choices.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Heck yeah, man. A little chronic in the RYO and there will be all kinds of relaxin'.
drag.gif

But you probably wouldn't be able to keep up with anyone's lead after that...
bike.gif

bleh.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Zeke: "It's okay, man. If there's one thing I know, it's how to drive when I'm stoned. It's like, you know your perspective's fucked, so you just gotta let your hands work the controls as if you're straight."

Edsel: "Oh, wow, good landing, man."