New rear tyre

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a longer socket wrench with an angled head. Put the handle right about where the foot pegs are. took me two attempts, but the socket never came loose. That thing was on there tight!

Dan

I fully understand your frustration. Every once in a while, working on a project (home, car, bike) it seems like EVERY little thing that can go wrong or cause problems, does. My wife has learned, over the course of 36+ years of wedlock, to just walk away without saying anything, if she hears a previously unrelated string of caustic expletives pour out of the front of my head. Years ago, due to my apparently limited athletic ability, I discovered that the game of golf can produce similar grammatical results. I wish I liked tea. Apparently, according to you, it helps. Glad you got it back together, figuratively as well as literally.
My wife would do that. Not sure she was being sympathetic, just keeping out of the way.
Tea has many properties.

Made properly, in a teapot, really boiling water poured into the pot over the leaves, allowed to infuse/brew/mash (according to what part of the country you come from) for an appropriate time (flavour and strength can vary significantly), a little milk in your cup or mug, and tea poured from the teapot. Maybe add sugar (I haven't for maybe 60 years).

Its uses include waking you up in the morning, helping you sleep at night. Warming you up if you're cold, cooling you off if you're hot. Relaxing your mind if you are overthinking things, stimulating your mind if you are unsure of something.

Most relevantly here, it allows you to stop, calm your mind, and help you work out how to deal with issues. Usually.
Here's what Cliff Clavin has to say about that:

This thread has been interesting and entertaining. I too had the tight nut issue when first changing the raar tire. My tire guy use a long breaker bar and short six point socket. at first the pinch bolt was not tight enough to hold the axel firm. With the trans in 1st gear and a block of wood in front of the tire he used great force and the damn nut came loose. The bike had never been exposed to road salt and the threads were perfectly clean and free of corrosion. I suspect the factory uses an impact tool to torque the nut. The nut was torqued to 90 lbs/ft and the next tire change went well with no great strain removing the nut. I put ACF50 on the nut and exposed threads to prevent corrosion.

Getting the wheel back in place matching up the splines has been a bitch on this GenIII. I do not recall any such issue with my two GenII's.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rest was a bit of an anticlimax, it all went together quite easily (usual greasing etc that I always do). Even the wheel sensor plate slots aligned without me doing anything. Oh, yes, I dressed the axle nut a bit with a file to make it a little more hexagonal.
Did you remember to torque the axle nut to 400 ft-lbs? ;)

The rest was a bit of an anticlimax, it all went together quite easily (usual greasing etc that I always do). Even the wheel sensor plate slots aligned without me doing anything. Oh, yes, I dressed the axle nut a bit with a file to make it a little more hexagonal.
Did you remember to torque the axle nut to 400 ft-lbs? ;)
Only to a mild grunt torque. I may want to take it off again :) .

Uh oh. It appears you torqued the nut using green rubber boots. Use black boots for proper torque.

By the way, your online site and helpful docs have been extremely helpful to me in the past. Thanks for your contributions!
I wrote to mcatrophy before I joined here and said pretty much the same thing. I hold him and his web site responsible for me being on the bike I have
smile.png