Nice Sunday Ride

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CISCO

Reaction score
My wife and I met Orangevalerider and his wife at the American river confluence at 6:30 AM and we sped up HWY49 to cool, then 193 to Georgetown. Saw some dirt riding buddies there getting ready for a trail ride. Said hey then rushed onwards on Wentworth springs road to Loon lake. The weather was perfect...55* and the roads were even wet in places from the Thunder Storm the night before. Nice break from the 100* plus lately. :D

Wentworth springs road was fun...twisty and tight in spots, fast and sweeping in others and the scenery is to die for. It amazed me how fast we made it to Loon Lake, as the last time i drove the road it was DIRT. They paved this road within the past 4 years. Its awesome.

So we stopped for a snack at Loon lake at about 8:00 Quiet...no Tranquil is the word. We stretched a bit and continued on Ice house road through Crystal Basin to HWY 50. There we split up, We took 50 to 49 in Placerville on home to Foresthill(had to be home by noon to pack fr our Hawaii trip), Orangevale rider took 50 to Tahoe then 88 back to the valley.

All in all it was a great trip, and I am feeling very comfy railing the turns 2 up on the new girl.

Nothing better than a FINE womean to ride on the back of your bike :dribble:

Hot Co-Pilots

Nice Trunk Man!

Thought this would turn out better.

That trip you took to wentworth springs out of george town on your ride sounds alike a must when you are riding in that area. Nice to hear that the road is paved, that means i will travel it on my fjr. your pics are very nice. The last time I went to wentworth springs was 1963 and that was on a deer hunting trip and the roads were graded dirt with logging taking place. thanks for the info from your report i will be taking that roue one day soon. :alien:

It amazed me how great the roads were from 49 to 193. The ride through Wentworth was well worth the went. I mean I'm glad we went that way; it was worth it! Beautiful road and scenery. For some reason, packing for Hawaii was more important to Cisco than our ride ;-) The smell from the forest was great since the rain storm had just trucked through a hour or so earlier. We never got rained on either :)

Going up 50 toward Tahoe was nice. 89 south to 88 was better. I was able to pass a long string of cars right as I got on 89 and nothing got in my way all they way to Kirkwood Inn where we stopped and had breakfast. This was an incredible ride. If you haven't taken it, 89 takes you south of Tahoe up a range and down into a beautiful green, grassy valley with a meandering river snaking through. Fly fishermen (one of my gigs) were busy and we headed for Carson pass.

Now, Kit Carson is famous for all sorts of things, but basically he was an explorer, money maker and genocidal maniac (indian fighter). On the explorer side of things, he did us a favor and created the pass which 88 now follows. This pass takes your from valley, to high tundra and back into some huge old growth pine. We were at the same level as some remaining snow at one point, rode past numerous lakes and the scenery is simply breathtaking. Sorry about no pics...we forgot to put the card back in the camera! I guess that means we'll just have to do it again. We will after our upcoming trip to Colorado.

88 is a weekend hangout for various bike clubs and there was a BMW sport bike club. There seemed to be a combo of K and R bikes that are more focused on the sport side and I saw a really nice silver and yellow K1200S. We ended up zipping through the group that was collecting on the side of the road. I could tell they were all jealous ;-)

As we decended into the valley, the heat was upon us and the last 45 minutes of the ride was fairly unbearable with sweat dripping even though we never had to stop. It was hot...h o t.

We got home, got a cool drink and fell asleep before we could finish them.

268 miles - 46.0169 MPG

Last edited by a moderator: