No spark

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd also check the cylinder identification sensor (top right of valve cover, white connector is at right end of throttle bodies), and lean angle sensor (can't remember, does lean angle sensor prevent turning over the engine)
If the cylinder identification sensor is bad,the engine is able to start and run.If the lean angle sensor is bad,it stops the fuel pump and injectors and not the sparks.A bad crankshaft senson can cause this symptom..

Here,the starter motor works,the injectors and pump works,but not spark..

I think that the ignition switch has two circuits,one for the starter motor and one for the ignition.

Perhaps the ignition circuit is defective,but not sure.Happened to my other bike ΧΤΖ750,the starter motor turned the engine but no spark.

A new ignition switch and the problem solved.

Τhe strange thing is that no error codes appears in the display..

Last edited by a moderator:
I've come to the end...main switch and crankshaft position sensor both check good, again.

Heading to eBay for an ECU...I'll close out the thread when I plug it in!

Thanks for all the great ideas, hope I can return the favor sometime!

If the ECU causes this problem,this will be the first time that we hear it..

At least for me i have never heard for a defective ECU in fjr!

Cylinder identification sensor? The manual says engine will not start if this sensor has failed.
Which manual says that?Perhaps a Gen 2 manual?The 03 manual says that is able to start the bike if this sensor has failed.

In my experience, the bike often hasn't read the manual about "will start" and "won't start" with fault codes.

A few times while doing valve checks (GenII), we've found the cylinder identification sensor unplugged..... bike will crank over but will not start. I would assume then that a faulty sensor would cause a similar effect.

I have a gen 2. 2006 ecu your welcome to try. Not sure if it would work on a Gen 1. I just bought a new ecu to replace my altitude sick ecu. Only gave $100. Ship for it.

Smitty

Team! Forgot to close out this topic...final cause, cracked spark plug connectors!

I originally determined two were needing replacement, but all four couldn't be bad at once?! So the change in weather and the garage caused the moisture build up in the connectors and inhibited the spark. Mild winter temps, lots of heavy rain, heat from the engine, and enclosed in a small garage with poor ventilation...surprise, moisture pooled in the cracked spark plug caps.

Thanks for everyone's help...silver lining is learning everything about the FJRs electrical and fuel injection!

This morning we had a great breakfast run up the Rhine river and down through the twisty valleys of the Black Forest; I love my FJR!

Regards, Brian