Picking up my 06 fjr tomorrow....how do i ride it?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcompton1973

Reaction score
I posted this in new member area before i realized people are not really reading and answering there. I have never had a bike like this. My current bike an 86 Venture Royale. Before that, a street glide.

So with a higher rpms this bike does...can you give me aome opinions what rpms for shifting and cruising? When i first git my Venture i had to learn it likes 3500-4500 rpms....so 55-60mph is better mpgs in 4th than 5th gear. So just wondering how you giys ride and shift.

Also...i am an old fart. Im not looking for doing wheelies and stuff. Mostly longer rides. Hell....tomorrow my first ride will be almost 500 miles.

Welcome to the Forum. I don't think its really about what the bike likes, it's about what you like! some days for me it is just tooling up threw the gears other days i run it up to 8-9000 rpm's and bang the next gear. you will have a great time figuring this one out on your own. your owners manual says when to shift i think. Have fun.

It will feel like putting on a glove or riding a bicycle again. RPM range you mentioned will be fine. I rarely get up to the red line. Oh, and no real worries about wheelies on this rig. Speeding infractions, yes.

I'll offer this - go easy at first. Compared to your two other examples, this bike is fast, deceptively fast. She will pull hard in any gear from about 3,000 rpm and up. There is a little buzz around 4-5K, but nothing even in the same category as the street glide at ANY rpm. The power from that point is very linear, albeit more than ample. You will hear what you perceive as a "gear whine" around 3,000 rpm - fear not, this is just the straight gears on the counterbalancers letting you know they are working. The wind protection on the FJR is very good and the torque to weight ratio of this bike far exceeds what you have now. You may get on the highway, run her up the gears, feel fairly comfortable and somewhat familiar with what you are used to, look down, and HOLY COW!!!! You're doing 95 mph!!

Not that the bike can't handle that. It can and it will, and a whole lot more, and if you want (and you dare), you can run that speed all day long tank to tank. Just don't go out and hurt yourself, or get a performance award from the Popo on your maiden voyage.

Additionally, this bike has serious brakes. The ABS works too - grab a handful of lever on this bike and you are going to stop faster than you think. Be ready for it.

Ergonomically - you will feel more weight on your hands than what you are used to. Perhaps a little more weight on your feet too. Get into the habit of riding with the pads of your feet on the pegs. But you will feel much less weight on your arse, even though the stock seat (if that is what you have) will not lend itself to 500 mile days as much as many of the aftermarket options.

Once you have some miles under your belt, you might look into a different windscreen, or a host of any other accessories that will make your great bike even better. This forum has tons of info on that.

I'd appreciate reading your first impressions. Shiny side up and have fun!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I came from a 750 Virago so there was quite a difference but it was still an easy transition. The FJR is pretty torquey so let your wrist dictate how much power you require; very docile below 5,000 rpm, but if you require more power, 'she' comes alive from 5k till redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.