Piston Hit Valve, spark plug melted

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, i did some what felt like micro scopic exploration with the bore scope today and found some answers.
an exhaust valve broke off and got jammed between the piston and spark plug. See attached pictures with comments
Here you go, $700:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Yamaha-FJR1300-OEM-Engine-in-good-running-condition-FREE-SHIP-/230972544082?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AFJR1300&hash=item35c7095452&vxp=mtr
This engine looks and sounds very good!Also in a very good price without shipping cost!

Very nice choice ''rPGoatBoy'' for the ''vpantus''!!A very good bargain..!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great price with shipping included. Have to wonder how many miles on it...
70k miles on speedometer picture. In my opinion seems like a lot? I know these engine are known to do many miles without issues....well any other engines then my own.

Another option I thought of is to buy a wrecked bike off copart. What are your thoughts?

https://www.copart.com/c2/copart_salvage_auto_auctions_car_finder.html?onSale=true&_eventId=lotNumberSearch&searchBy=SINGLE_LOT_SEARCH&execution=e2s1&searchType=ON_SALE_NOW&criteriaType=quickSearch&returnPage=search&freshRequired=true&vin=&lotForm=Y&lotId=16872523&vinInput=

Only about 4 hours away from me. Buy the bike, swap in this bikes Engine into my bike, and sell the rest of the parts on Ebay. Id like to swap this bikes engine into my bike because my bike is not salvage. If I was to complete the wrecked bike then it would be a salvaged motorcycle.

...Another option I thought of is to buy a wrecked bike off copart. What are your thoughts?...Only about 4 hours away from me. Buy the bike, swap in this bikes Engine into my bike, and sell the rest of the parts on Ebay. Id like to swap this bikes engine into my bike because my bike is not salvage...
One thing you can do to begin the decision process is to call a Yamaha Service department and give them the VIN JYARP07E83A000875 and let them look up the service history. One big thing to look for is to see if it has had the Ticker repair. This bike was the 875th one delivered to the US so it is an early bike.

Here is a little read about the buy vs repair decision.

Great price with shipping included. Have to wonder how many miles on it...
70k miles on speedometer picture. In my opinion seems like a lot? I know these engine are known to do many miles without issues....well any other engines then my own.

Another option I thought of is to buy a wrecked bike off copart. What are your thoughts?

https://www.copart.com/c2/copart_salvage_auto_auctions_car_finder.html?onSale=true&_eventId=lotNumberSearch&searchBy=SINGLE_LOT_SEARCH&execution=e2s1&searchType=ON_SALE_NOW&criteriaType=quickSearch&returnPage=search&freshRequired=true&vin=&lotForm=Y&lotId=16872523&vinInput=

Only about 4 hours away from me. Buy the bike, swap in this bikes Engine into my bike, and sell the rest of the parts on Ebay. Id like to swap this bikes engine into my bike because my bike is not salvage. If I was to complete the wrecked bike then it would be a salvaged motorcycle.
70.000 miles are not a lot for this engine.Many members here have made over of 200.000 without any trouble..For me the 700$ without shipping for this engine is a very good bargain!Your bike..you decide..!
smile.png

Let's see if we can read your mind here: you're leaning toward replacing the engine. I guess the choice you're looking at right now will be a matter of cost. If you can get that complete bike cheap enough, selling off spare parts might make this the better choice. Maybe check the forum for what kinda money you can expect for various used pieces??

I'm guessing you'll also be putting a little money into checking valves and replacing the cam chain tensioner. Hopefully, this next time, you'll NOT need to replace the cam chain. I've not heard of anybody on this forum replacing a cam chain, but I'm not sure about that. Just seems a little unusual (to me). The FJR has a pretty robust cam chain from what I've heard. And hopefully, the second time through the process will be considerably easier for ya: with the engine out, it's got to be a much quicker process.

Gary

darksdier #44