Power Commander V- which map?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leclairk

Reaction score
I realize this could be a loaded question but I hope to get some insight from other people that have played with a PCV. Let me start with what I have, a Gen II 06, 2 bros slip ons, stock air filter, and a PCV. What I want, MORE POWER, the same MPG, and a smoother running bike. I realize some of those things may not go together. My priorities would be 1) a smoother run bike, 2) the same MPG, 3) increase HP. I know that a PCV claims to increase HP but not very much. Even if I got as much HP increase as I could I doubt I would really notice a difference. I have a copy of Wally's smoothness map for a PCV and a map from PC with 2 bros slip ons. My 2 questions;

1) Go with Wally's map or the PC map? Was Wally's map made for a bike with slip ons?

2) I only have slip ons and not a complete exhaust system. Some people have said if you don't change from the headers back there is no reason to change a map to include aftermarket exhaust. Any experience from people??

I only have a mac laptop so the only way I will be able to change maps once I install the PC will be to pull it out and hook it up to my PC. PITA. I think I will go with Wally's map and if the bike runs well and I don't lose MPG I will stick with it. I'm not smart enough to try and create a truly custom map as I have no idea what words are coming out of your mouth when you talk about E:F ratio's, etc.

If I were you, I'd be more worried about the ECU's poor fuelling on the 06 !

No need to remap if you just change the cans; change the headers or cut out the cats, yes.

If your worried about maps, just reload another one in, simple.

Just spend a bit more $$$$ and get yourself the Autotune and do all your own mapping, well, let the Autotune do the mapping for you. .

I'm sure there is helpful information on the forum regarding A:F ratios, cause I've used it.

Have you removed the PAIR system ???

Cheers

Useless Pickles did a ton of mods to his bike and had either a PCV with the AutoTune, or some other tuner. He worked up everything he could and then took his bike to a dyno with another guy with a stock bike. I think UP's results were lower than the stock bike. The PCV will not make you a bunch of power. It may give you more fuel, but then your MPG takes a dump. These bikes seem to be sort of maxed out without doing some kind of major re-work. Then, even if done, it will lose low end torque, which gets used a lot and gain power at the top of the rev range, which doesn't get used as much.

Most seem to use either version of the PCs to smooth out the throttle.

This ^^^^ and since it's Friday...

Save your money and gas mileage. To combat the off idle abruptness and accomplish priorities 1 & 2, make sure the throttle cables are properly adjusted, idle speed is 1100-1200 rpm and add a G2 tube. Done!!

YMMV

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
You can load 2 maps into the pcv at one time. Add 2 wires & a switch to a port on the pcv & you can change maps on the fly.

Save your money and gas mileage. To combat the off idle abruptness and accomplish priorities 1 & 2, make sure the throttle cables are properly adjusted, idle speed is 1100-1200 rpm and add a G2 tube. Done!!

YMMV

--G
I already own the PCV, I might as well load it up and throw it in. If it sucks, i'll pull it out.

I had my bike tuned by Nels at 2 Wheel Dyno and it runs smooth and strong, I had the Auto Tune but still got the off idle abruptness.

YMMV

--G
Agreed on the cables, idle speed and G2, but disagree it's done. The '06 and '07 were very lean and need PCV help IMHO. '08's might be OK, but you had software upgrades for '09 on (as I have gleaned from the forum over time).

The Wally map is likely going to cost you some fuel. The PC map from FuelMoto is decent, won't hurt mileage, but still a little lean on the low end...... decent. Still have throttle snatch I'd love to get rid of, but I think that's another matter altogether. I'm trying to find a solution.

I installed a PC V on an '06 and am very happy with the Wallys Smoothness map and carved the stock throttle tube to emulate the G2.

A lot better throttle control at low speed.

It seems to me that more HP and fuel economy are mutually exclusive.

With the PC V you can have 2 maps and switch between them.

I am installing an Auto Tune this winter so I can switch between smooth for city and best fuel economy for highway.

To be honest, I can't see the more HP thing. It's not like these bikes lack pull!

I installed a PC V on an '06 and am very happy with the Wallys Smoothness map and carved the stock throttle tube to emulate the G2.A lot better throttle control at low speed.

It seems to me that more HP and fuel economy are mutually exclusive.

With the PC V you can have 2 maps and switch between them.

I am installing an Auto Tune this winter so I can switch between smooth for city and best fuel economy for highway.

To be honest, I can't see the more HP thing. It's not like these bikes lack pull!
Thanks for the info, I knew this bike would run better with a PC, that's why I got it. Maybe not an 08' or newer but I know the 06' will run better. If I lose 2 or 3 mpg I not really worried about it if the bike runs better. I have a G2 i'm going to put on first. I will have look into an autotune and 2 map switch. I guess I will go with the smoothness map and it doesn't kill my mpg too bad I will stick with it.

YMMV

--G
Agreed on the cables, idle speed and G2, but disagree it's done. The '06 and '07 were very lean and need PCV help IMHO. '08's might be OK, but you had software upgrades for '09 on (as I have gleaned from the forum over time).
Agree with you Ray regarding the '07s. Some were pretty bad, Panman had one of those examples. I ran my '06 with the above mods for 55K...and it ran like a scalded dog. I probably shouldn't mention the [infamous] Barbarian mod, but that helped my '06 right off idle too. When I upgraded to the '09 the fueling was [iMO} spot on, although it gets about 3 - 4 less mpg than the '06 did...

--G

YMMV

--G
Question: how do you adjust the idle speed on a 2007?

The idle adjustment knob is on the right side of the bike. Just above the clutch cover, kind of hidden by the fairing. Look close to the bike, and you will see it. It's a bronze/ gold color and has "petals."

Mine was hard to turn, and near impossible with a hot engine.

There was a map for slipons and smoothness, but I can no longer find it hosted. Just the stock useless pickles map. I am running slipons with the stock smoothness map, and it works fine, just pops a bit on decel. Anybody have the smoothness map for slipons?