Ride to Red Lodge

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blufjr

blufjr
Reaction score
Ride to Redlodge 2011

June 26, 2011 Ride Boss is Bill Flannery, destination is Red Lodge, Montana, purpose was to ride the best twisty roads along the way and the main objective was to be home by Sunday the 3rd of July. There were three of us, Bill and Tom on their FZ-1’s while I rode the slower FJR. (Just kidding to all you FJR owners).

What happened? Well, it was a motorcycle ride and things happen, but this ride turned out to be almost perfect. We started by riding to Summer Lake, OR from the Portland area by way of hwy 224 from Estacada to Detroit then from Blue River to West Fir on FR 19. Both roads are in good shape. A stop in Oakridge at the Trail Head Coffeehouse for that specially prepared food with a look and taste much better than the place looks. A real treasure in Oakridge.

.__360_480_P1030357%281%29.jpg

We then headed to La Pine for a Grand Tour checkpoint (GT). A stop at the Subway for sandwiches that we ate later in Summer Lake. We were the only ones at the lodge so it was real quiet, but it also had lots of mosquitoes that kept us hopping. The following morning we headed for Lakeview for breakfast at another GT checkpoint, then on to Fields for a milkshake.

.__480_360_P1030362_480.jpg

After a short stop at French’s Round Barn, we took the back roads to Buchanan then on to Drewsey to pick up another GT checkpoint. At Drewsey we ran into Dale Allin another RCMC member on his Goldwing P-1800, and then headed for Dales selected motel in Weiser, ID at the Indian Head Motel. First Dinner across the street and then we spent half the evening on the porch talking. It was a great day of riding and a really nice evening talking with friends.

.__480_360_P1030396_480%281%29.jpg

Tuesday morning we headed across Idaho on hwy 52 to Horseshoe Bend where we ate breakfast. We then headed on to Banks then Lowman. The best of the best, with a top notch twisty road and great scenery with the river next to the road. The water level was high and there were lots and lots of white water, quite the site. On to Stanley then south to Picabo, Arco and Idaho falls. That section of US 20 is just about the worst of the worst for wind and no scenery but hard to avoid if you are going to Teton National Park.

After Idaho Falls we experienced a mother Moose and baby, slow moving traffic and all this before we got to the National Parks. We got to another GT checkpoint in Teton National Park by noon and had lunch. We headed out and inched our way through Yellowstone Park, slow, slow, slow; a place to avoid if you want to ride. When we got to the intersection of the Grand Loop and hwy 212 going to the NE gate, we encountered a “Road Closed” sign. After discussing what we were to do, we concluded that we must ride to the end of the road and check out the reason for the closer. It was only 8 miles away so it wasn’t going to ruin the day, but not taking 212 would ruin the day. Good thing we did that as there was a scheduled opening at 3 pm for the UPS truck. We tagged along and made it to “Top of the World Resort” where we met Les Hedquist. Les is now a back roads tour guide out of Red Lodge. Les took us home with him and we stayed the night. Can’t go wrong with that deal when you are on the road.

.__480_350_P1030408_480%282%29.jpg

Baby Moose following mother.

.__480_263_P1030421_480.jpg

.__480_360_P1030430_480%283%29.jpg

Road Construction. Helper working on dam.

.__480_360_P1030431_480.jpg

Top of the World Resort, Mt.

.__480_360_P1030432_480.jpg

Beartooth Pass, west side.

After having dinner at a local restaurant in town we went back to the Hedquist’s house and continued to make merry and talked to late in the evening. We drew straws for beds and retired for the night. What a great day we had and that Beartooth Pass road has to be one of the best experiences in the world. Once on the downward drop, there isn’t any time to take pictures, as the ride is that good.

In the morning we headed into town for a bowl of oats at the Regis Grocery. It was all good. Back to the house and off we went towards Missoula, Mt. We went north on hwy 78 then a little west on I-90 until we got to Big Timber where we headed north on 191. Much better. Then at Harlowton we headed west on Hwy 12 to Garrison. Once in Missoula we decided to continue to Lolo Hot Springs and the cottages across the highway.

.__480_322_P1030452_480.jpg

.__480_177_P1030473_480.jpg

3 tractor trucks hualing big drum, too big for daytime travel.

.__480_360_P1030475_480.jpg

Cabin at Lolo Hot Springs

In the morning we woke to icy windshields and seats and a temperature of 31. Although I put on the electrics they really weren’t needed as the temperatures rose rather fast. We took that wonderful hwy 12 to Kooskia. It was 99 miles of sweepers, river and trees, a great morning with sun and no policeman. A little jog to the south on Hwy 13, better than 12, to Grangeville then north to Lewiston and the Spiral Hwy. While riding up this road another FZ-1 rider saw us and made a U-turn with thoughts of passing us before reaching the top. We were riding as smooth as Gustavo but with a few more mph’s in the straights so he had no chance to catch us. So this local rider was impressed. I owe it all to Dean and the super instructions I have received taking the ART classes at Pat’s Acres. (3x)

A ride down the hill and then up the Asotin grade on Hwy 129 toward Enterprise, OR. Down to Bogan’s for some refreshments and a break in the warm sun/shade, then on to Joseph, and finishing off the second half of Rattlesnake Grade. At Joseph, our first not so good event occurred. Bill noticed a nail in his brand new PR-2 rear tire. We, no, Bill plugged the tire with the squiggly thing and we were of fin less than an hour. We headed out to the east and rode down the Wallowa Mountain Rd. to Halfway, where we spent the night in the Pine Valley Lodge. Other than expensive, the morning spread was fantastic with fresh fruit, waffles and really good coffee. When we checked in we were notified that what ever was in the refrigerator was free. A case of Bud Light? Yessiree.

.__480_360_P1030531_480%281%29.jpg

.__480_360_P1030534_480%286%29.jpg

With the plugged tire Bill (Ride Boss) lead a gentlemanly pace and we did some sight seeing. I even had time to take a few barn pictures. By the time we got to Baker City, Bills nerves were a wreck, thinking about the tire with the plug in it, so we phoned around town and found a Yamaha dealer with another PR-2. In less than an hour we had a new tire mounted and we were off onto Hwy 7 towards Austin Junction. We stopped for lunch at the Silver Spur in Mount Vernon, OR., where we all got the small hamburger. Just the right size when you are riding.

We spent the night in Seneca, OR, rising at a reasonable time in the morning and took off north on Hwy 395. We continued on home by way of the Paulina Hwy SR 380 to Prineville. Then on to Detroit by way of SR 370, Lower Bridge Way and then around Sisters on Indian Ford Rd. to hwy 20/22. Back to Detroit and hwy 224 to Estacada. What a great week of riding and fun. The 548 emails waiting me were not fun, especially the emails from Craig Morton regarding his brother.

Thanks to Bill for putting this ride together and for choosing all the fun roads we took. It just doesn’t get much better than this. We live in one of the countries best motorcycling areas, or even on the planet and they should to be experienced as much as possible.

.__387_480_P1030537_480.jpg

Bill going after a little spilt beer.

I want to note here that I met Ken and Lisa Morton at the Silver Spur in 2007. It was at a RTE called by a IBR friend and I just wanted to ride so it didn’t seam to far to go for lunch. After that day, I rode with Ken a number of times and attended as many RTE’s that he called, at such places as the Red Dog in Astoria (2), McMenamins in Bend and Centralia, Kenton Station in St. Johns, Five Guys plus a few others. It was always fun to meet up with Ken and talk or ride. Ken died on June 26, the day we left Portland for this ride. He was riding in the Utah 1088, an Iron Butt type of event when he lost control of his motorcycle in Nebraska. Ken was a good friend and I will always remember our rides and good times we had together. I am so sad I missed the memorial Rev Off held at his house in Vancouver. Ken went by Dread Pirate Kermit on the net and had the below tattoo on his leg. It is now being placed all over the U.S. at famous L.D. points. The 257 is his IBR No.

.__100_100_DPK%20257%20STICKER.jpg

©dreadpriatekermit ©

Ride pictures can be found here:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ken, very good report and pictures. I have ridden a lot of the roads you guys travelled, and would ride most of them again. When I rode over the Beartooth Pass we rode around to Red Lodge, spent the night, and went over the pass the next morning. The scenery is truly fantastic.

Thanks Jer. I did that write up back in June but just didn't get around to posting it until now. Too many rides, I guess. I am working on another for the ride to Taos and should have it done soon.

Nice RR! Looks like Beartooth never thawed out this year as I was part of a group that crossed it in mid August last year and no snow was present. We only had about 4 stops :angry2: for road maintenance on the down hill (west) side so our average speed wasn't so good. Beautiful part of the world, thanks for sharing.

Great Trip! I've never been to Montana but have always wanted to. Hopefully someday I can see that part of the country in person myself. Thanks for sharing!

You said:

"Tuesday morning we headed across Idaho on hwy 52 to Horseshoe Bend where we ate breakfast. We then headed on to Banks then Lowman. The best of the best, with a top notch twisty road and great scenery with the river next to the road."

I'd have to agree. That part of central Idaho is awesome. HWY 21 to the south, as well. I'll be coming through there next week on my way home from a big figure 8 loop up through North Idaho, BC, AB, back through Riggins and home...

Ken,

Great RR and pictures :)

As you know I have been wanting to ride Bear Tooth Pass and the route you took would be perfect since I live just off Hwy-224.

Jon...

blufjr, that looks like a really nice ride. That wall of snow along beartooth pass is awesome. Hope there wasn't any ice on the road.

Thanks for the RR.