So that's why you shoulder check at a stop.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeepers, Randy

FJR for you should stand for Frickin' Jinxed Ride

Maybe you should consider a different ride. Like a Honda Shadow or sumpin' :unsure:

:p

Glad you're OK!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for all the replies and recovery wishes. I cannot believe I babbled on that long. But, my 26'er is half empty but I must have been at it awhile.

I am no where near as sore as expected today although I am surprisingly purple already (if you ask real nicely I can post a pic :dribble: ), especially my left foot. My head hurts more than anything :rolleyes: . I'm ready to go for a ride today if I had the bike as this accident (like the deer) hasn't phased my a bit. Just improved my skills if anything.

That really does suck. I mean, the start of a well planned vacation, looking forward to some fun... then this...

Hope you don't mind a couple of questions; you mentioned not having it in gear at the stop, would it have helped to have stopped in first and been ready "to go"?

I'm not really sure what a "shoulder check" would have accomplished? I mean if your rear view mirrors are adjusted properly, shouldn't they tell you whats behind you? Isn't a shoulder check just going to tell you what's on the side of you?

It's great that things were not worse. I teach the MSF classes and we always make it clear why we should be in 1st at a stop. Sadly we just lost a Rider Coach who got hit from behind while stopping... Sadly, it seems that it's easy to become complacent for anyone...
I know what you are saying. I just think the mirrors are a postage size stamp of the reality of what is happening behind you. At the very least, what I noticed in the mirrors should have been enough for me to take a direct look and appreciate the urgency and react. I cannot explain why I apparently did nothing. Perhaps arrogance in thinking "this is my spot - youre at fault - I'm not moving" or maybe just hesitation - I really cannot recall. But, I DID know she was coming.

I also try and make it a habit to NOT keep the bike in gear while at a stop. This is habit from the days when I had a clutch cable snap on me while stopped on a hill. DEFINITELY had I done so things may have turned out differently. Interestingly, the bike was in gear when we picked it up off the ground.

...It's also interesting that you hugged her before you left. Last year some ding dong ran into the back of my wife's brand new van. Similar situation, financially challenged kid not paying enough attention. My wife was fuming, but in the end I could sympathize with the kid a little and ended up shaking his hand when we parted. Amy's still pissed about that. She doesn't understand that forgiveness is the beginning of emotional healing....
Yup. She made a mistake that probably everyone is guilty of but she got caught. And, she is going to be paying for it for a long time. In addition to the gravity of that reality, she had 100 pairs of eyes trained on her for 30 minutes by rubberneckers that easily concluded she the demon at fault. I didn't need to make her feel any worse.

Been there with the fractured tail bone, in a word, it SUCKS! Not a thing to do butt wait for time to heal it.
No pun intended, right?

MajBach, don't be surprised if the bike is totaled. A hit that hard to the rear that the front end wheelies up? Rear subframe, swing-arm, drive-line, possible main frame, not to mention cosmetics?

At least you have a boat and JD to console your wounded butt. Heal up quick, amigo.
I hope youre right actually and I had already considered this a real possibility. Truthfully, Ive been considering buying another 2009 just to have for when I wear this one out because - as we all know - 2009 was the vintage year for FJRs :D . My bike is insured for a flat value of $20,000 and I pay extra just to have that no haggle BS from the insurance company. So, that's enough for a new bike and plenty of farkles.

Just curious - did you have Hyperlites installed out back? I'll never own another bike w/o them installed just to give myself more visability back there. I hope you get back riding pronto...
Funny you should mention that. After seeing how eye catching they are while at NAFO, I ordered some. They were in one of the saddlebags and I was waiting for one of those moments of inspiration to install them.

Man, that could've been so much worse... glad that you're relatively okay! Bikes can be replaced... people, not so much. :)
Particularly someone like me ;)

Thanks to u and your story, I'm now shopping for some hyper-lites or some other bright azz backend LED. I'm sure if somebody is texting like in your situation it may not matter but it may? I now think it's worth it, thanks for the push (and def no pun intended!)

Happy boating, if I was closer to ya I would jetski out with a 5-gal Igloo full of cookoo juice :)

Major,

Glad you are ok! I would say welcome to the Cowichan Valley where you need eyes in the back of your head. As a life long resident and rider in this valley I think we have the worst drivers in Canada. Riding here is like running the bulls in Pamplona. Except these bulls are steel with horns....

There is a large Yamaha dealership in Parksville/Coombs called "Spunky's". If you wanted repairs done on the Island I would contact them. Your only other choice is in Victoria.

Heal quickly.

G.

Been there with the fractured tail bone, in a word, it SUCKS! Not a thing to do butt wait for time to heal it.
No pun intended, right?
Probly not. Not right, I mean. :rolleyes:

But of course your ass and probably quite a bit more will no doubt be damn sore for some time to come MB. Sorry about it, but the rest of it could be worse, as you know, and good insurance is the icing on the cake. So your story: Crappy as it is, it's great that you gave us such a detailed description of what happened. None of us should ever forget how fast and easily something like this can happen most anywhere and in any conditions. Yep, possible you could have gotten out of the way somehow, if everything had gone perfectly. Possible she might have seen and avoided you if you'd had some bright flashy thingies (like in Men In Black) on your rear. Maybe not, too, though. Happens so fast, and we have so much time afterwards to think about what we might have done differently.

So it's good to spend some time now--before the accident, for most of us--thinking about what we can do to be seen, to dress protectively, to get out of the way, to anticipate, whatever we can do, or hope to do, before some bozo is five feet away from us and coming on fast. Kind of late, then. Good recovery to you, Maj, physical and financial.

edit: Meant to add, sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some sort of proximity sensor on the back of the bike like those ones built into the rear bumper of most cars now? Might be able to tell if something is approacing from the rear and how fast. Probably have to improve the range to 100 ft or so. Build in some sort of flashing visual alert would help.

It would at least tell you how fast the car that's about to hit you is travelling.

Damn glad you weren't injured more seriously- that situation had the potential to end much worse. Hope you heal quick and get back riding before the season is over.

Thanks for taking the time to post. The rear check warning is a wake up call. I wish I had some repair advise or something to offer. If you need I do have a good pea salad recipe here somewhere ;)

How about some sort of proximity sensor on the back of the bike like those ones built into the rear bumper of most cars now? Might be able to tell if something is approacing from the rear and how fast. Probably have to improve the range to 100 ft or so. Build in some sort of flashing visual alert would help.

It would at least tell you how fast the car that's about to hit you is travelling.
Wire that puppy up to a heat seeking (a hot radiator will do) missile and you'd really have something!

Wire that puppy up to a heat seeking (a hot radiator will do) missile and you'd really have something!
For some reason I knew that was coming.

I've seriously thought about one of these:

Reevu Helmet

Won't keep the idiots off the road, but may help with situational awareness in your 6.

Griff
I think that is incredible! I had no idea there was such a device out there. I'm going to look into it more. Damn, I should have dragged my helmet on the ground a little so I had reason to get a new one (as it was, I didn't come in contact with the pavement above the shoulders).

When I am driving a car, half the time I know the licence plate of the driver behind me but when I am on the bike, I am constantly being passed by cars I didn't even know were there. Even when I make a conscious effort, somehow I don't seem to use my mirrors like I do in a car. I will definitely check this out.

. . . when I am on the bike, I am constantly being passed by cars. . .
Wow, really? For some reason, I'm seldom passed by cars. . :rolleyes:

I will definitely check this out.
OK, why I really responded. . . That Reevu helmet has been around for years, but not anywhere around here, AFAIK. It's an English manufacturer. Possibly you Canadians can find a line on them, and if so, I'd love to hear about it. I would never buy a helmet I hadn't tried on first, but I love the idea of this helmet. I think I posted about it a long time back, and one comment (shared by several) was that somehow the mirror would interfere with your forward view. Well, like the rear view mirror inside your car interferes with your view of the part of the sky that's behind it when you're driving, I suppose.

Let us know if you find a North American dealer for the Reevu, will you?

OK, why I really responded. . . That Reevu helmet has been around for years, but not anywhere around here, AFAIK. It's an English manufacturer. Possibly you Canadians can find a line on them, and if so, I'd love to hear about it. I would never buy a helmet I hadn't tried on first, but I love the idea of this helmet. I think I posted about it a long time back, and one comment (shared by several) was that somehow the mirror would interfere with your forward view. Well, like the rear view mirror inside your car interferes with your view of the part of the sky that's behind it when you're driving, I suppose.

Will do indeed.

Reevu is available from the Canadian distributor, Altimate gear in Toronto CLICKY!

Actually, the mirror is above the normal shield line, and simply CAN'T interfere with your forward or lateral vision. There's a dealer here in Calgary (GW Cycle) that stocks them, and I've tried them on and been quite impressed.

For urban riding, it seems like a really good idea.

Griff

The fact that you sort of sensed it was coming is the mark of a good rider! Glad your OK and the Feej can be fixed!

Joe

The fact that you sort of sensed it was coming is the mark of a good rider! Glad your OK and the Feej can be fixed!

Joe
Thanks Joe. A great rider would have got the hell out of the way - HA.

I have been thinking about the accident since it happened. I really cannot recall for certain what was going through my head at the time since it has already been proven quite inaccurate. But I am certain that I was monitoring this driver prior to the collision. This is the second time my huntches have come true; the first being the time I decided to take a route I knew would have abundant wildlife due to time of day and season. Next time I will not be so smug in ignoring my vulnerability and do something more deliberate to avoid what I perceive as a higher than normal risk.

Like someone else stated, this had the potential to be much worse. Had this not been a T intersection for example or had there been a car in front of me. Somehow though in both circumstances, I have escaped with little more than a bruise (truthfully, I have had a headache since the accident that hasnt gone away) when it could have been fatal.

I wrote the short story above with a 'share my experience' type of sentiment in mind, but like Mike stated, this is an example of an everyday situation we all experience that went bad but with the best possible outcome, all things considered. I really do hope those who have had read it borrow from it and apply the warning on the road.

Joe
Thanks Joe. A great rider would have got the hell out of the way - HA.

I have been thinking about the accident since it happened. I really cannot recall for certain what was going through my head at the time since it has already been proven quite inaccurate. But I am certain that I was monitoring this driver prior to the collision. This is the second time my huntches have come true; the first being the time I decided to take a route I knew would have abundant wildlife due to time of day and season. Next time I will not be so smug in ignoring my vulnerability and do something more deliberate to avoid what I perceive as a higher than normal risk.

Like someone else stated, this had the potential to be much worse. Had this not been a T intersection for example or had there been a car in front of me. Somehow though in both circumstances, I have escaped with little more than a bruise (truthfully, I have had a headache since the accident that hasnt gone away) when it could have been fatal.

I wrote the short story above with a 'share my experience' type of sentiment in mind, but like Mike stated, this is an example of an everyday situation we all experience that went bad but with the best possible outcome, all things considered. I really do hope those who have had read it borrow from it and apply the warning on the road.
Glad to see that it didn't turn out worse and you came out relatively unscathed.

I was rear-ended at a light once on my wife's Ninja 650R that I was riding to work (same day that I flew out to Alabama to pick up my FJR). At the first redlight after leaving my house, I watched as a Lexus SUV approached and came to a stop behind me. My attention went back to the light until a few seconds later I noticed that even with my brake on I was moving forward into the intersection. The girl behind me had stopped, but then started doing her makeup or texting and released her brake, thus pushing me forward. Not a scratch to the Ninja, but the rear fender left a nice, deep scratch on the front bumper of her Lexus.

Now my FJR has two Hyperlights paired with a BackOff XP set up in the non-CA legal, seizure inducing mode, mounted alongside my license plate, with an LED light bar mounted above the license plate. When stopped at a light if any car behind me is approaching at a speed faster then seems safe or doesn't seem to be slowing I just release and reapply my brakes. That gets their attention mighty quick.

Also, always have an out. When pulling up in pole position be checking cross traffic as well as cars approaching from behind. Know where the hell you're going in case you do have to hit the gas to put space between you and that car. If behind other cars at the light, pick to stop on the side where you can slot your bike between cars if the car doesn't stop. Let a car take that impact. Leaving your bike in gear will give you a precious reaction time advantage.

MajBach...as for that headache. It could be from tweaking your neck muscles, or it could be remnants of a concussion. Don't need to have direct impact to cause one, if your brain bounced around hard enough inside your scull. My wife suffered a mild concussion and amnesia from a <5mph tip over. Did the paramedics check you out for a concussion at the scene?

Sorry about your accident MajBach but glad you walked away. As has been said, couldve been alot worse.

And that reminded me I havent ordered hyperlites yet...Ive wanted to for awhile just never have. Just ordered them :p