Spark Plug Gap?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndv21

Reaction score
I'm doing some maintenance on my 2013 and I'm about to pull the tank for valve check, plugs, pair removal, and TB sync. The manual calls for spark plugs NGK/CPR8EA-9 with gap of 0.031–0.035 in. I have found the plugs but they indicate a pre-gap of .036. Am I missing something or is it recommended to just lightly close that gap to within spec?  

I have for 40+ yrs checked every new plug out of the box and re-gapped if necessary to the measurement I want. 

Don't use a metal feeler gauge on iridium plugs, by the way. You'll probably destroy the electrode, it's quite fragile. The metal arm is the same as standard plugs, but that tiny tip in the center is delicate. Iridiums are best just left how they came.

Don't use a metal feeler gauge on iridium plugs, by the way. You'll probably destroy the electrode, it's quite fragile. The metal arm is the same as standard plugs, but that tiny tip in the center is delicate. Iridiums are best just left how they came.
+1...What he said!