Spotwalla iOS Tracking App

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blubyu

Reaction score
About a year and a half ago I started working on an iOS app that would track your location and upload it to SpotWalla. I already owned a SPOT but a couple of friends that I rode with didn't so i decided to try and write an app that would do it for them. I have had them help test my app and everything seems to work OK for the most part (there are still a couple small glitches here and there). I am posting this to the forum to see if I might be able to get a few volunteers to help me further test out my app.

Here are a few of the features that I include in the app:

The map will show a trail of where you have been on the current trip. Currently there is no way to export or save the trip. That is on the todo list.

When you leave cell coverage, it will start to buffer the messages. Once you are in cell range again, it will upload the buffered messages to SpotWalla. There is a bug where when you leave/enter cell coverage my app loses a location message or two. I have been trying to track that little bastard down now for awhile.

You can take a pic from you iOS device and upload it directly to SpotWalla (if you have an internet connection of course).

You can look at your last 100 messages that have been uploaded to SpotWalla. If there is a pic attached to the location then you should be able to see that as well.

I am not a programmer
smile.png
I always wanted to learn to write iOS apps but never could come up with an idea. One day my friend said "hey, why don't you write an app so that I don't have to buy a SPOT"........and gibbyTrip was born
smile.png
I am sure that you will find bugs in this program.

This program will drain your battery. You have been warned
smile.png

If this is something that you might be interested in, please send me a PM with your email address. Please do not post your email address in the forum. When you send the PM please tell me what version of iOS you are using. My app will run on anything 7.1 or newer. If you are running iOS 8.0 or newer than I will add you to the Apple TestFlight page. If you are running iOS 7.1 or newer than I have to add you to the TestFairy page. Apple's TestFlight page requires you to be running at least 8.0.

Here is a screenshot of the home screen:

5f4ea996-3f58-4fa1-a18d-79da0b412041.png

FULL DISCLAIMER: I do currently have this app for sale in the Apple App Store for $1.99. I am not posting this to try and get people to buy the app. If you would rather not be a beta tester but would like to try the app, let me know and I will send you a promo code so that you can download the app for free.

I did ask for, and recieved permission, from both Iggy and Bounce before I created this post. Just trying to cover all of my bases
smile.png

That is pretty cool. I use one like that on my Android called Bubbler GPS Pro. I love it. I used it on my 2649 mile motorcycle camping trip last year through CA. If I had an Iphone still, I would be happy to do some testing for you. I will ask a couple of my bike friends though.

Carl

I downloaded and it's working fine. Took about 3 minutes, and that included setting up a spotwalla account.