Starter button

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmd2008

Reaction score
Starter button doesn't engage starter.abs light and engine light blink when it's pressed but doesn't engage starter. Can short relay out and starts right up. I do herea sound like something spinning when button pushed. Thanks in advance.

If you have a meter put the meter ground on the battery ground and then take two checks with the positive meter wire. One on the battery side of the relay and read the voltage, then put the lead on the starter side and push the starter button and see if it gives you a reading if it does but it's low you probably have a bad relay. If it doesn't give you a reading at all I'd check the the small wires feeding the relay to see if they are sending a signal.

I had exactly the same problem on my 2007. When I turned the key to the "on" position, I heard something spinning. The "something spinning" is the fuel pump. I also saw the dash needles doing their happy dance. Pressing the starter button gave me: nothing. Shorting the starter relay got the starter working vigorously.

First things first: 1) Make sure your transmission is in "neutral". 2) Make sure the red engine cut-off switch is in the "Engine on" position.

I replaced the starter relay with a new one purchased on Amazon: (MOTO1988 Starter Solenoid Relay for Yamaha YZF-R1 YFZ450 FJR1300 XV1900 5JW-81940-02-00): $19.76CAN.

This was an easy swap and the new one fit exactly. The engine started up fine (once I replaced the spark plugs, but that was a different problem).

I had exactly the same problem on my 2007. When I turned the key to the "on" position, I heard something spinning. The "something spinning" is the fuel pump. I also saw the dash needles doing their happy dance. Pressing the starter button gave me: nothing. Shorting the starter relay got the starter working vigorously.

First things first: 1) Make sure your transmission is in "neutral". 2) Make sure the red engine cut-off switch is in the "Engine on" position.

I replaced the starter relay with a new one purchased on Amazon: (MOTO1988 Starter Solenoid Relay for Yamaha YZF-R1 YFZ450 FJR1300 XV1900 5JW-81940-02-00): $19.76CAN.

This was an easy swap and the new one fit exactly. The engine started up fine (once I replaced the spark plugs, but that was a different problem).
Thanks for the help

If you have a meter put the meter ground on the battery ground and then take two checks with the positive meter wire. One on the battery side of the relay and read the voltage, then put the lead on the starter side and push the starter button and see if it gives you a reading if it does but it's low you probably have a bad relay. If it doesn't give you a reading at all I'd

check the the small wires feeding the relay to see if they are sending a signal.
Thanks will check that out

If you have a meter put the meter ground on the battery ground and then take two checks with the positive meter wire. One on the battery side of the relay and read the voltage, then put the lead on the starter side and push the starter button and see if it gives you a reading if it does but it's low you probably have a bad relay. If it doesn't give you a reading at all I'd check the the small wires feeding the relay to see if they are sending a signal.
They are sending a signal but less than 1 volt. Not sure what reading I should be getting.

Well I ordered a new relay and hope it's the fix. Can anyone tell me what these two canisters are under seat. One of them appears to have a cut black wire?

Whatever they are, they are not stock.

Like above, my assumption is that they are part of an aftermarket cruise control.

Possibly it does gave one. Thanks
Definitely an Audiovox CCS 100, If it's of any use, try this link for the manual.

You'll need to take the cover off to find exactly which wire is cut, it is very common to not use the "Speed" wire, just to rely on the tacho for speed regulation.

I installed one on my 2006 and 2010, annotated pics of my 2006 installation here, might help some. Note my actuator was in a different place from yours, it can be mounted almost anywhere you can make it fit.