Sticky rear brake pedal

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGroenke

Reaction score
I have an 03 with 48K miles on the clock. In the last few months I've noticed the rear brake pedal seems to be a liitle sticky and sometimes it doesn't return all the way by itself. It doesn't seem to be dragging the brake but it does keep the brake light on. I reach under it and I can pull it up with my foot, and then the light goes out. I looked in my facotry service manual and it says the brake pedal should be greased, but it doesn't give any directions how to do it. I pulled the foot peg assembly and brake pedal off and don't see how to get the shaft out, there isn't any type of retaining clip holding it in place. I inspected the return spring and it looks good. I would appreciate any help or insight anybody can provide. Has anybody had a similar problem, how did you solve it? Does anybody know how to get the brake pedal shaft out? Does anybody know how to grease the shaft?

Thanks,

jgroenke

Here you are!
rolleyes.gif
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
+1 on that Milhalis video link above.

I couldn't get it to play by clicking the red and white arrow above (for some reason) so I just went to Youtube and typed in "FJR1300 rear brake pedal maintenance" and it worked fine. Great video. Simple, easy to understand, DONE. I was just getting ready to write up how to do it, as I just completed this a month ago, but you should be set to go. The only thing the video didn't show was cleaning out the old gummed up grease. I used some brake cleaner and a clean rag... simple.

Good luck and let us know how it went for ya.

Gary

darksider #44

While you're at it, clean and grease other pivot points on the bike as well (ie. hand levers, shifter, etc.). Smooth working pivot points = ahhh.
smile.png

Thank you all for the help, every time I need a little help with my FJR somebody on this Forum is always there with the answer. It is awesome! I live in a dry climate and this is the first problem I've had on a 13 year old bike so I don't think I'll go for the grease zerk at this time but it's great to have it in my back pocket in case I keep having problems.

FJR Forum Rocks.

jgroenke

1 '03, 2 '04's.....total mileage approx 400K (current '04 has 174K milles) All of them have had the same issue.WD40, etc will work...at least for a while but eventually you gotta take it apart and CLEAN it. Not sure what the "best" lube to use is...Lots of miles = lots of gunk....rain, dirty backroads, etc....

1 '03, 2 '04's.....total mileage approx 400K (current '04 has 174K milles) All of them have had the same issue.WD40, etc will work...at least for a while but eventually you gotta take it apart and CLEAN it. Not sure what the "best" lube to use is...Lots of miles = lots of gunk....rain, dirty backroads, etc....
Not sure about that if you've taken the extra step to install a grease fitting, as mentioned above. In that case you can push new grease into the fitting at every oil change service (mine are 5k's) and push out the old, dirty grease without taking it apart. It has only been about 2 years since I installed a zerk in mine, but I feel like it would have started sticking by now if it weren't working. Seems like it only used to only last ~6 months to a year between cleanings before the mod.

Why mama Yamaha hasn't install two seals there..I believe two seals there is the solution..But is a bit difficult to install them there..But not difficult for the factory..
smile.png

I did a dissassembly, clean and grease earlier this year at 41K miles. Every bike needs this service by that mileage, but I didn't put in the zerk fitting. The pivot just wasn't that hard to clean. I lubed the side-stand while I was at it.

Just though I would add a side note to this thread. Thinking that adding a grease fitting to the shaft would be a good idea as identified by several members of this forum, I ordered a replace brake shaft for a 2006AE (5JW-27212-01) since I was going to have a friend do the modification and didn't want my bike down while the part was being modified. While the existing brake shaft is hollow the new shaft I order was not. Don't know when mother Yamaha changed the design, but wondering if the latest models still have a hollow brake shaft.

Just though I would add a side note to this thread. Thinking that adding a grease fitting to the shaft would be a good idea as identified by several members of this forum, I ordered a replace brake shaft for a 2006AE (5JW-27212-01) since I was going to have a friend do the modification and didn't want my bike down while the part was being modified. While the existing brake shaft is hollow the new shaft I order was not. Don't know when mother Yamaha changed the design, but wondering if the latest models still have a hollow brake shaft.
The old part number was the 5JW-27212-00

Now the new part number is the 5JW-27212-01

In the 2013/2014 the part number is the 1MC-27212-00-00

I don't know if they have a hollow...