Take What The Ride Has To Offer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
We’ve had a real winter down on the Gulf Coast. Shoot – we’ve even had a couple days of frozen precipitation this past week. Quite frankly, you snowbirds can have that crap. Thankfully, it ended as fast as it started. We went from 20 degrees on Thursday morning to a forecast high of 73 degrees under mostly cloudy skies on Saturday. That’s good enough for me so I called my good friend Loki to set up a ride. We haven’t ridden for a while, and some catching up was long over due. I also contacted others, but they had previous commitments.

The usual plan seemed good enough. Ride places, eat things, and live to tell the story. As so it went – about 400 miles, loop to Natchez, Mississippi and back.

https://goo.gl/maps/4KepU

february12014ridetonatchez_zps7242ad5d.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics.

Loki arrived at my house right on time about 8:00 am. The air is humid and the road a bit damp, so we will take it easy getting out of Lafayette. We take the I-10 slab over the Atchafalaya Basin, exiting at the Ramah exit. Hwy 3000 to Marigouin, LA is one of the curviest roads in the State, so every time I’m in the area, we are going to ride it.

Then our first adventure started.

incidentwithredneckidiot_zps1e38e404.jpg

Since the road is still damp, I’m taking it easy on the curves, holding the big girl back. The speed limit is 55, and I’m probably running about that, especially in the curves. I’m not bragging or anything, but our yellow “curve signs” in Louisiana are extremely conservative. If it says “35 mph”, I can easily take it at 45-55, even on damp pavement, which plenty margin for error. In the middle of a tight left hander, a guy pulls out in front of me in his pickup truck. I see him in plenty of time and tuck in behind. The road curves to the right, and then straightens out. The road is marked double yellow, but there’s at least 200 yards of straight pavement. Mr. Redneck is rolling about 35-ish in this 55 mph zone, so I pass him. We can re-hash the “passing on double yellow” issue if you would like, but for a bunch of reasons, I’m still gonna do it. Anyway, Loki follows and then this idiot starts to speed up and get right on our six, flashing lights and honking horns. I decide to speed up a little to separate us and clearly, this maniac is trying to make a point, crossing the center line in curves to keep up, all the while ranting his tirade.

We pull into the town of Mariguoin, a well known speed trap, so I slow it town to the posted 25 mph. Mr. Redneck is still flashing his lights right behind us. I turn left on Hwy 411 and Loki decides he’s had enough. He passes me and takes off north quickly. Now the idiot is right behind me. Pants is not going to get into a fight with a 6000 pound truck, so I just pull over and waive the idiot around. He swerves a little toward me as he passes, shaking his fist. Then right in front of me he stops with his truck straddling both lanes. He gets out of the truck and the first thing that comes to my mind is “Damm it – I wish I had brought my handgun.”

(Idiot) “Ya’ll better slow down those *!@-ing motorcycles before you kill someone.”

(Pants) “Are you a police officer and if so, are you on duty?”

(Idiot) “No I ain’t no police officer. Ya’ll need to slow down!”

(Pants) “What’s your problem, man? Running us over is how you are going to teach us a lesson?”

(Idiot) “We have wrecks on this road all of the time. (Blab blab blab) Who is that other guy? Is he your son?”

(Pants) “That’s none of your business.”

(Idiot) “I got your license plate and I’ve called the police. They are waiting for you up the road in Livonia”

(Pants) “Great – that’s where I’m going, you coming? I’d love to tell them how you tried to kill us.”

He walked back to his truck and drove back where he came from. By nature, I’m not opposed to confrontation, but I’d rather avoid it as much as possible. Besides, I know better than to get into a fight with an idiot like that. In his neck of the woods, I’m going to lose – plain and simple. We rode into Livonia as promised and gassed up the bikes at the busiest intersection.

feb2014natchez1_zps3f34fc0e.jpg

For once, I hoped to encounter the Popo, but apparently, they had their hands full.

feb2014natchez2_zps37db23a0.jpg

Of course the idiot was bluffing, but I gave it a shot.

Ok – so much for adventure….

We calmed down over a snack and some coffee, decided that this is not going to ruin our day, and hit the road going north. We crossed the Mississippi river on the John James Audubon cable-stayed bridge.

800px-Audubon_Bridge_zps7bc8a4ba.jpg

I admit – I’ve got a thing for bridges, and this one is gorgeous. Loki took some nice photographs as we rode across.

gusnatchez1_zps8f8c2262.jpg

Maybe one day, I’ll do a “bridge tour”. I decide to ride some back roads in and out of the Homochitto National Forest. The West Fork of the Thompson Creek caught my eye, so we stopped.

highlightsofthefeb2014natcheztrip_zpsaec3d213.jpg

Everyone knows that an FJR does not make a good dual sport, so I park my bike at the bridge.

feb2014natchez3_zps0ab60c24.jpg

OTOH, Loki decided he and his nighthawk would try to get closer to the creek. Then he got second thoughts.

feb2014natchez4_zps620463e4.jpg

Hmmmm – this no looka good….

feb2014natchez5_zps75f8a951.jpg

“Uh Pants – could you come over here and give me a hand?”

feb2014natchez6_zps29f6e3b4.jpg

I gave Loki a push back up to the road and he parked next to me. We walked down to the creek to look around. Very peaceful on the sandy bank.

feb2014natchez8_zpscab0f6f7.jpg

feb2014natchez7_zps033582a0.jpg

Loki lit his Churchwarden for a bit.

feb2014natchez9_zps720b68db.jpg

Remnants of the snow from earlier this week.

feb2014natchez10_zps4959b794.jpg

Relaxed, we continue north toward Natchez, via the scenic route. I’m very familiar with these roads, and normally they are a hoot to ride. However on today, the road is staying damp, and it is very dirty with residual sand, gravel, and other debris placed by the highway department during the snow/sleet/freezing rain event earlier this week. Take a look at this bridge - it was pretty dicey at times.

gusnatchez3_zps31439284.jpg

I wanted to turn the big girl loose and scrape some pegs, but today is not going to be that kind of ride. It’s just too dangerous.

gusnatchez2_zps5e00c7f6.jpg

We crossed the Homochitto River, then turned left on Liberty Road into Natchez.

highlightsofthefeb2014natcheztrip2_zpsb109ad78.jpg

We stopped for lunch at a favorite restaurant of mine. The Pig Out BBQ.

IMG_5913_zps8469e896.jpg

The ribs and the brisket are outstanding. There’s also something about eating your lunch on a table made from an old house door.

feb2014natchez11_zpsd05cbb22.jpg

After lunch, we rode 100 yards to the bank of Old Man River to check it out. That’s Louisiana on the other side.

feb2014natchez12_zps47e0c1d9.jpg

Then we crossed the river and rode south along the levee toward the 3-Rivers area.

highlightsofthefeb2014natcheztrip3_zps39c420a2.jpg

This is where the Mississippi, Atchafalaya, and Red Rivers all converge. The experts say that the Mississippi is trying to take over the Atchafalaya River, so a diversion structure was created to alleviate that. You can read about it here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_River_Control_Structure

There’s also a Hydro-electric plant and a lock for navigation between the rivers. For Pants and Loki, the entire area is great riding on a day like this. Not many curves, but wide open with no trees and zero cars for miles and miles.

We stopped at the Knox Landing on the Mississippi River. Loki’s CB750 has well over 100K on it. Considering the way he rides it, I’m convinced you’d have to work very hard to break that bike. Check out the auxiliary fuel tank he designed and fabricated.

feb2014natchez13_zpsebc4dd4a.jpg

Not sure what this is all about, the numbers aren’t lining up at all.

feb2014natchez14_zps7a2777d6.jpg

Continuing south, we crossed the Atchafalaya River at Simmsport and turned south on Hwy 105, dubbed the Easy Rider Road.

highlightsofthefeb2014natcheztrip4_zpsa2c87ce3.jpg

Named for the famous movie which was filmed on this road, it’s much more of the same - wide open desolate floodplain. We made another stop in the village of Melville, where a train trestle exist and a ferry used to cross the river.

feb2014natchez15_zpsa4cfaebc.jpg

From Melville, we rode West on Hwy 190 toward I-49. Dark heavy clouds started rolling in, so we took the slab south to Lafayette under a light rain shower.

This morning, my bike is pretty filthy.

feb2014natchez16_zps50799ba3.jpg

feb2014natchez17_zps57dca6cd.jpg

This used to work me up into a lather. But I bought the thing to ride it, and the FJR is very easy to clean. 30 minutes later, good as new.

feb2014natchez18_zps6e378f8e.jpg

So bring the gear and go find your own adventure. If the conditions don’t prove to be ideal, don’t fret. Just take whatever the ride has to offer.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. I am so miserable about missing yet another ride with you. To ease my pain I have ridden the ST to work the last two nights. This morning's fog made for an interesting ride home. The roads are soaked and slick just with the humidity from the extreme temp change.

2. I applaud you on your restraint with Redneck Doofus. I have never understood why they react the way they do. They will give chase pushing their trucks far beyond what is safe because The Motorcycle Was Going Too Fast and Was Unsafe. What the hell kind of logic is that? I have seen it so often and have never understood it. I have been in the truck with a man I really had lots of respect for and seen him fly into a killing rage because he was passed by a motorcycle. Why? This is probably a topic for a whole other thread. Of course, it will get locked... And no, that is NOT a shot at the admins.

3. Pop and I would probably have let Redneck Doofus ruin our entire day. Even IF I had been able to restrain Pop, he would have stewed over it all day. Without getting a resolution he would never get over it. I struggle with some of that same meanness but Pop believes in accountability.

4. I remember the BBQ at Pig Out. Remember last time we ate there you talked a very curvy but slightly plump young lady into taking our group picture. I liked her.

5. You fuss at me about wanting my ST clean. It leaves the house spotless but never makes it to Ramah looking clean. I'll remember that IF I ever get to ride with you again. Hopefully that will be soon.

6. My son is fascinated with bridges as well. My BMW riding friend lives about 7 minutes from the Hwy 10 bridge and I have driven out of my way to take pics of my son by that bridge.

7. Even though I am jealous I am glad you enjoyed a decent ride. I may ride mine to work in the rain tonight just because.

Great RR & photos!

I agree - every ride has something to offer, like life itself. Last spring my sister & her husband joined us on a trip. She was worried before she left home, worried on the trip and her worry was always about what "might" happen.

We told her that - no matter what happens - if you don't die, you'll have a unique experience and stories to tell about it. And if you DO die... Surprise! You were going to die eventually anyway. Wouldn't you rather die LIVING?

Enjoyed the story about Mr. Control Issues. He has kin folk everywhere....

Last edited by a moderator:
Your 2005 is sweet!

Nice trip report and good advice regarding raging cagers. May other bike is a 1986 Nighthawk 700s and yes, they are built to last. Great bikes from Honda.

Does not pay to argue with idiots, and there are some out there that for some reason or another have a thing for motorcycles. Most have zero knowledge or appreciation of a motorcycles capabilities.