The best year for the FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The entire final drive as a unit, or just the internal gears? I thought there was a gentleman that would perform the rebuild. But unfortunately, he passed away. RIP
Ring and pinion plus shims necessary for proper depth and backlash. If the FD were mine, I'd have a full rebuild completed with fresh everything.

~G

2003 !!! First year in the US and the prettiest and the lightest and the fastest!!!

My son still rides my '03 (78k) after I added my 2013 (58k).
I can't agree with you more, I have a couple of extra updates for my 03, here are a couple of updates on my 03 mileage
2003 !!! First year in the US and the prettiest and the lightest and the fastest!!!

My son still rides my '03 (78k) after I added my 2013 (58k).

Attachments

• IMG_2024428_17137.jpg
    IMG_2024428_17137.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2024428_171127.jpg
    IMG_2024428_171127.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024428_17137.jpg
    IMG_2024428_17137.jpg
    799 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2024428_171127.jpg
    IMG_2024428_171127.jpg
    851.9 KB · Views: 1
My 04 (Oz version) was fantastic and quick, my 09 was not as fast but still lots of fun. I currently have a Fat Boy (For sh*ts anf giggles, heavy kn thing it is) but seriously thinking of going back to the FJR, just something about them that has and still does, captured my imagination and a whole heap of great memories!
I have a late 04 model in silver. Can't fault it. This forum does seem to be full of people who like to meddle with a good bike. Complains about the seat, the handlebar position, suspension, blah, blah , blah. Lived in California for 5 years and what struck me was how over medicated Americans are. Every TV channel has ad breaks for medication, heartburn, blood pressure, it just goes on and on. That seems to transfer to the bike somehow. :)

Are there meds for a pain in the arse? You could be on to something. Personally I prefer a lifestyle without meds.
While there are some who look for the pill bottle at the slightest discomfort, I'm with you, without meds is preferable. And yes there are meds for butt pain, Tylenol, aspirin, Aleve, etc. I will admit if 'm looking at a 400 mile day in the saddle, I will take Aleve before the ride, it's an anti-inflamatory besides a pain killer. Mostly because I'm 66 and not in top physical shape.

I've been fighting an incurable form of cancer for 8 years now. Without my twice daily chemo meds I'd have been gone years ago. Do I enjoy taking meds that make me sick? Hell no. Do I enjoy being alive for my 8 year old son? HELL YES!!!!!

I got my 2020 ES in 2023 and it was the first, and possibly the only one I will need to own. While I don't have other FJRs to compare to, it is clearly the BEST of the 9 bikes I've owned over the past 12 years. The only bike that came close to my FJR was an '09 BMW K1600 GTL. This may have been the ultimate ride but the maintenance I could not perform myself was quite expensive. Also quite a bit heavier. The FJR has all the power I need and just the right creature comforts.