The Dominos Begin To Fall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadioHowie

I Miss Beemerdons!
Reaction score
Two steps closer to MY FJR.

Step 1) Finally found a dealer with one in stock. Won't give you ALL the gory details (but whatthehell, it's late and I need the post points to get out of FNG)

Anyway, a company generator, a big 5 kilowatt Yamaha unit, went on the fritz and the only place who'd touch it was Barney's Yamaha in Brandon, Florida. Had my engineer take it over for repair and see if they had a Feejer in stock while he was there. They didn't, but he did get a business card from a salesman, whom I called and told notify me the moment a new 1300 hits the floor. Came yesterday, got prepped and he called me today. Went to see her. What a beauty!! Pictures just DON'T do that Galaxy Blue justice, do they?

Crawled ALL over that beauty and damn near had her taken apart on the showroom just to "get a feel". Impressed the salesman when he said he couldn't demo the windshield 'cause the battery wasn't in the bike (he was looking at the small void under the seat) when I pointed the battery out to him in the forward fairing. Then I had to show HIM how to take the bags off. Salespeople! What a waste of skin.

Back to the matter at hand. Gawd is this bike gorgeous. First non-Kawasaki I've ever lusted after. Put her up and down on the centerstand a few times. Cake. I guess weighing 250 doesn't hurt.

Sat on the beast and the fit is perfect. Perfect reach to the bars. Pegs positioned just right and best of all, plenty of clearance between my legs and lowers. Can't imaginge how some magazine reviews I've read claimed interference. I had to take my feet completely off the pegs, as if to shift or brake with my heels, to come anywhere close to banging my shins.

Conclusion? Yep...this is my next bike. Now on to part

2) Tomorrow (Saturday 7/16) the 16 year old's birthday car gets purchase, and I found her a great deal, so my "bike fund" won't get raped to keep the sweetie happy.

So here's how I figure it...with my monthly "bike fund" amount banked for the next 5 months, plus my Christmas bonus, should be able to take my annual New Year's Day Drive on a new FJR1300.

Hope Rex won't get too jealous.

You should go buy that one you sat on.....Take the Yahama no payments for 6 months deal.
First of all, it was non-ABS. And I want ABS.

Yeah, I could just drive back over and pick it up, but I'm not going to succumb to impulse buying. I'm very methodical (read: anal) about major purchases. I have a plan and I stick to it. I've been "shopping" a Sport/Tourer for several months now. Now that I'm 100% decided on the FJR, one will be mine when I'm ready.

It will be my Christmas present to me. :D

I know you got this plan all worked out ........ but by that time the 06 models will be out and no more Galaxy Blue that you liked so much. Still no confirmation on the 06 color, but it could end up being fugley. Rumors abound on a R-1 red color of even a European green, but ya never know ........ it could be white or yellow. I admire you for sticking to your plan ............ just hope it doesn't backfire on ya.

Good Luck to ya ........ If yer willin to make the drive, a dealer in Orlando had an 05 ABS a few weeks ago, I would have to check if it is still there or not.

I know you got this plan all worked out ........ but by that time the 06 models will be out and no more Galaxy Blue that you liked so much. Still no confirmation on the 06 color, but it could end up being fugley. Rumors abound on a R-1 red color of even a European green, but ya never know ........ it could be white or yellow. I admire you for sticking to your plan ............ just hope it doesn't backfire on ya. Good Luck to ya ........ If yer willin to make the drive, a dealer in Orlando had an 05 ABS a few weeks ago, I would have to check if it is still there or not.

Yeah, I really like that Galaxy Blue. European Green wouldn't bother me. Hell, look at what I'm ridin' now.

<<<<<<<

I could live with white. Would make a great pallette to work with for customizing.

I could REALLY see a FJR with a paint scheme like this:

image.jpg

R-1 Red would be awesome, if that's the '06 color.

I'd be thrilled if they came back with the Cerulean Silver.

The only catastrophe would be if the '06 was black. I'd shoot myself.

BTW, there was a brand new ST1300 sitting next the the FJR. God, what a "no character" looking bike. Plus it was some hideous charcoal grey color.

My luck...that's what the '06 will be.

Plus, by waiting, I'll be on a 6-speed FJR with factory cruise and hi-output alternator. :coolio:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's amazing just how many ZRX people have either migrated to the FJR or added the Feejer to their stable to keep company with the ZRX.

I had a 2001 ZRX that I totalled and a 2002 to replace it. Wish I could have kept it along with the FJR.

Ron

It's amazing just how many ZRX people have either migrated to the FJR or added the Feejer to their stable to keep company with the ZRX.
I think it has a lot to do with the character of both bikes.

The ZRX is a throwback, plain and simple. It's a real hooligan of a motorcycle without the comfort compromises of "pure" sport bike.

The FJR is a hooligan of a Sport/Touring bike without the compromises of a "pure" touring bike.

Sure, a 'busa or ZX12 will smoke my Rex, and a 'Wing may be more comfortable on a 2000 mile tour, but look at what you have to give up with either extreme.

I look at the FJR sort of as a Rex dressed up in a tuxedo and ready to travel.

That make any sense to any of you hooligans?

If the '06 is R1 Red, there may be at least one '05 for sale. Aah suur does love that R1, it's purdy.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I could just drive back over and pick it up, but I'm not going to succumb to impulse buying.  I'm very methodical (read: anal) about major purchases. 
I think you're way beyond that, dude.

That's nowhere near an impulse purchase. It's more like a "I better get it now before they're all gone" purchase.

Don't be surprized if the 06 is the 2 tone silver and blue the europeans are getting now.
Glenn
Yamaha USA, being a seperate company to all the other Yamaha companies throughout the rest of the world, can and should be the ones who specify colour. Therefore why don't you lobby for a specific colour/s of your choice. After all it's only paint

Howard

Your comment "Salesmen, what a waste of skin" because he didn't know where the battery was isn't as scary as my experience. When I picked up my FJR I asked the tech who said he assembled it how hard it was to get to the battery. He said it was a little difficult and removed the seat to show me where it resided. :blink: Amazingly, he couldn't locate it under there. The bag locks where not loc-tited either. I have checked everything on it and after 800 miles I'm still wondering what might fall off. :oops:

During "assembly" they connect the battery up, so the tech was lieing to you that he did the assembly (or at least that he did all of it). Unless he's got a _very_ short memory, anyway. :ph34r:

I've gotten over the few regrets I had about trading my (faster BLACK) '01 Rex in on my Feejer over the past year. The power band is real close and they're both a little top heavy so the handling's pretty much the same. No, the Feejer is not the Hooligan's tool that the Rex was, and that's why when another Rex comes along at the right price..... :D

RadioHowie: I had a Rex. They’re great bikes. But it went away 3 weeks after the FJR showed up. Part was too many bikes in the garage, part was the money, and part was the fact the FJR does most everything better (except wheelies and stoppies).

Now for the sad part: I didn’t know what she was worth so I set the asking price at $3,500 - a split between KBB retail & wholesale. I’ve found KBB a little high in the past, so I thought the asking price was fair. The Rex was sold by 11:00a.m. the first day in the paper. And I must have gotten 50 calls on her over the next three weeks.

So if you’re selling the Rex, price her high. If you’re keeping the Rex, can I interest you in a Yoshimura exhaust?

I'm keeping Rex. NOTHING on planet Earth could make me part with that bike. Best one I've had in over 35 years of two-wheelin'. Hope the Feejer meets my expectations. I'm sure it will.

Sorry about the Yosh....I'm already doing a Stage III with Muzzy Meg.