The Redmond 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
From Bill Watt of the Iron Butt Association -

This is not beemer-specific; all marques are welcome.

The Iron Butt Association has teamed up with the BMW Motorcycle Owners of America for a special SaddleSore 1000. Called the Redmond 1000, the ride will finish at the MOA’s International Rally, which is being held from July 15-18, 2010 in Redmond, OR.

Riders will start between 12:01 a.m. Wednesday, July 14th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 15 from one of three locations east and south of Redmond: Mesquite, NV, Cheyenne, WY or Miles City, MT. This was done in an effort to simplify the documentation requirements for riders. However, riders must finish in Redmond 24 hours after they begin and no later than 11:00 a.m. Friday, July 16. Finishers will receive a distinctive certificate and other unique promotional items and swag.

And in what we hope will be the first of many such events, an IBA-MOA Pizza Party Awards Ceremony will be held at the Rally too! Founded by Iron Butt Rally veterans during Daytona Bike week, the Pizza Party is an IBA custom steeped in tradition. Mike Kneebone, the IBA Chairman, will host the party and personally present each finisher with his/her certificate. This Pizza Party Awards Ceremony will be open to IBA members, regardless if they rode in the Redmond 1000 or not -- but registration will be limited.

This event is not limited just to BMW riders – all marques are welcome, so bring a friend. Details and pre-registration for the Pizza Party and Ride, once finalized, will be announced in various forums and websites (IBA, MOA, FJRForum, ADVRider, MTF, etc). Stay tuned – this is shaping up to be a fun event.

If you have questions, contact Bill Watt here: watt DOT bill AT gmail DOT com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully my dad's place there in Redmond will not have sold by then so I have somewhere to stay. Don't hesitate on booking a room if you're considering attending, there's not that many places in Redmond.

Well now, this might just be the 1000 miler I was thinking of doing next summer. :D

I'll leave Redmond, WA, hit one of the noted cities, then do the run back - this could be FUN!

Thanks for posting guys. :)

Count me in!!!!! This will be my first Ironbutt event......Just have to figure what bike to do it on....FJR or R1200GS ADV...mmmmmmm Riding out from Indiana... :yahoo:

Medic Man

Count me in!!!!! This will be my first Ironbutt event......Just have to figure what bike to do it on....FJR or R1200GS ADV...mmmmmmm Riding out from Indiana... :yahoo:

Medic Man
um, obvious one there! The FJR! Those BMWs aren't made for long distances, and you wouldn't want to show up looking like everyone else, would you? ;)

Now, I say this realizing I'll end up there and probably buy a used GS from someone, then have to figure out how to get it home!

Medic Man
um, obvious one there! The FJR! Those BMWs aren't made for long distances, and you wouldn't want to show up looking like everyone else, would you? ;)

Now, I say this realizing I'll end up there and probably buy a used GS from someone, then have to figure out how to get it home!
I would be glad to store it for you while you arrange transport. I am just south of there and will be doing the ride.

Hopefully my dad's place there in Redmond will not have sold by then so I have somewhere to stay. Don't hesitate on booking a room if you're considering attending, there's not that many places in Redmond.
Riding over, doing the SS1000 and riding home would make a nice BB1500. No lodging required.

Perhaps a small FJR raid is in order :rolleyes:

I'm starting to map out a possible SS2000 and picking up 2 bonus dams (damtour.com). From West Richland to Buffalo Bill Dam, in Wyoming and on to the starting point in Cheyenne, is about 1100 miles. From Cheyenne and picking up Bonus dam Swan Falls, in Idaho and then to Redmond OR. is about another 1100 miles.

Sounds like fun...anyone want to go with and help plan?

Dave

This route might be best to actually start the clock in Spokane. This would allow for more stops and sleep in Cheyenne.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source...ie=UTF8&z=6

Another option would be West Richland to Swan Falls Dam to Mesquite, NV and then to Pit #3 Dam in California and then on to Redmond.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....506836&z=5

https://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41250 Dale: Karol Patzer, Bud Meade and Rob Nye also have this thread going over at BMW MOA, with some useful information. https://www.sherpamayberry.com/ I'm using Ted's camping service at MOA Rally, just 100 meters from the beer tent. If you have never attended a BMW MOA Rally, you will really enjoy yourselves!
Don Stanley

MOA #24810 (1979)
The BMW-MOA International Rally is an annual event for LDComfort. We have travelled from our home in Washington State all the way to Johnson City in eastern Tennessee to be a vendor and it was worth it. If the IBA is going to have an event ending in Redmond, Oregon at the BMW-MOA Rally that should be incentive for any fence sitters to attend. Everyday of the rally is filled with things to do and massive amounts of vendors will carry the latest kit. Next to the IBA and LDRiders the BMW-MOA members are at the core of my dedication to provide LDComfort products. Truth is I wish I could be a rider and participate in the event. If I had a flag I would wave it for this IBA-MOA, RTE in Redmond. Go there, do that! ô¿~

https://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41250 Dale: Karol Patzer, Bud Meade and Rob Nye also have this thread going over at BMW MOA, with some useful information. https://www.sherpamayberry.com/ I'm using Ted's camping service at MOA Rally, just 100 meters from the beer tent. If you have never attended a BMW MOA Rally, you will really enjoy yourselves!
Don Stanley

MOA #24810 (1979)
Just a Bump Reminder, if you're going to be running Redmond 1000 and need to secure lodging: You had better book now!

This Rally in Redmond is probably going to be most popular Event in the History of the BMWMOA; with the highest attendance.

Many lodgings in Redmond already sold out July 15-18; with hotels such as Super 8 jacking up their rates from $56 to $186!

I'm staying with Ted Mayberry on Oregon Fairgrounds site, using his Sherpa tenting services. His rates also go up on 2/1/10!

I'm going to backtrack east to get to Miles City for the SS 1000. It will feel a bit weird to go to the MOA rally on something other than my old BMW, but I bought the FJR to ride. SS 1000 to Redmond will make a good shakedown ride for a 63 hour "one lap of Montana" [all 56 counties and all 7 Indian reservations] ride 10 days later in the month.

Anybody with a hot suggestion on finding lodging to share? I have a BiPAP machine [for sleep apnea] that I need to plug in at night, which kinda kills the camping option in most places.

I attended last year's gathering in Johnson City and was definitely going to get to this year's gathering. This will just add to the fun. Miles City, MT will work out perfect as it is just outside the Black Hills where my parents will be watching my children. :exhappysmiley:

A BMW-MOA SS1K to Oregon? Is that like, what, a 1000 mile train ride?

[SIZE=8pt][Do others remember the Train of Shame?][/SIZE]