Three pathetic guys watch airplanes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my eyes & mind yelled WOW...

DSC_3915.jpg

till these two caused silent awe...

DSC_3940.jpg

DSC_3954.jpg

they took me right back to a 6 year old kid standing next to his Dad watching A4's at my first look at the Blues to this past Friday. I've seen them fly dozens of times in real time plus some amazing video from the cockpits and I still gulp in amazement.

btw, full disclosure...Vic did go to the agreed upon Waffle House. Wrong way Mike off handedly searched for the closest WH to my friends home and it picked one a couple of miles of the right one where Vic went.

Great trip...Tiring but really nice time :yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
Old Birds an Old Turds... :lol: Didn't Vic cause commotion at last years event too? :p Maybe he should be put down.

Nice stuff Walt. Thanks for sharing :clapping:

Didn't Vic cause commotion at last years event too? :p Maybe he should be put down.
Yeah, at least this time he got up all by hisself and nobody had to go banging on his door wondering if he'd died or something. After we'd eaten well, of course.

Great pics Walt! We missed the air show in Albuquerque. We gotta go to the next one. I've never been to one, and my oldest two would freak out. Thanks for sharing.

The aerobatic Stearman, with #739 on the blue fuselage, is John Mohr. He does one of the most unbelievable routines you will ever see in his bone stock Stearman which I believe only has 225 horsepower. His flying is worth the price of admission to any show.

Of course, then there's the Blues. The best. Tight and very dramatic. Gotta love the sneak pass and the Fluer de Lis. Awesome.

Thanks for sharing, and for taking the time to go see our tax dollars at work (Blues and TAC demos).

For any of the rest of you, you can visit the Naval Air Museum at Pensacola. Not only is the museum awesome, you can watch the Blues practice right behind the museum when they are at home. They do the full show just about every day. Be sure and check with the museum for hours and the practice schedule.

If I can't fly in and land right at the air station, next best thing would be to run down on my FJR. Motorcycles and airplanes are hard to beat.

Yeah, the Stearman is amazing. He has one pass where he comes in at just about approach speed, yanks it up and throws it into a snap roll, and almost completely runs out of energy at the top, just barely still flying!

The announcer described the engine stall while it was happening, but last time I saw the plane the announcer just let it happen, flame popping and all. Without warning, not even having had the description of not being rated for inverted flight, the crowd heard it shut off, and saw it belch flame, and your ears popped as 100,000 people sucked in all the air in a collective gasp. After all the ladies fainted the announcer then came on and described what we'd seen. Maybe somebody with some authority and no sense of humor was one of those who fainted one time! :eek:

Watching this post reminds me of the Reno Air Race. I rode with my buddies from Las Vegas to Reno to watch the air race, and yes, I was there that Friday when the P51 crashed at the grandstand. I saw the whole thing, we were on the box seats too, box C, on the Tarmac. On these two pics, we were on this pics, just hard to described on here. The P51 crashed between box A&B. We were that close, we were all shocked.

fff798c0.png

6c134458.png

Speaking of non sequitor . . . . .

WTF does that have to do with my thread topic???? This isn't an airshow crash thread, or even an air race thread. Anybody wants that stuff can go Google it for themselves or start their own thread. :angry: