Tire Change Shop Questions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRocket

Doctor Throckenstein !!!
Reaction score
Pretty soon it will be time to shed the tread. The shop where I bought my bike only wants about $500 for the tires and changing them. For about $100 I can bring in any tire I want and they'll change them. There's a couple smaller shops around, one of which mostly does dirt bikes, that will do the change on my schedule, and will do it for about $60.

Are there pitfalls to getting a dirt bike shop to change the tires? Will they have the proper kind of weights and equipment when they balance them? The owner said something about his balancer might not fit my wheel, and that his was only up to 8.5 inches? That make any sense to anyone?

No, I don't want to change the tires myself. My best be is to go to a shop 2 counties away. Good excuse to ride, and a small shop to build a relationship with. I'm not crazy about throwing money at the local big stealer.

Anyone have any other tips or recommendations when outsourcing a little project like this?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
First, the $500 for a full-service tire change is on the high side. This is almost full MSRP retail for the tires and full-labor-charge for the change. Most shops will do the change for free if they get full retail for the tires and/or discount the tires a bit. I'd say that $400 is more typical.

Second, does the $100 charge include mounting/dismounting the wheels from the bike? If so, then it's not too out of line, but if you are bringing the wheels in, then this is very high. Most of the shops in my area will change and balance a tire for about $25 a wheel if you bring the wheels in, and I've spent as little as $10.

Removing the wheels is fairly easy and a good DIY project, although you do have to haul the wheels/tires to the shop which might be a hassle if the shop is very far away.

On the dirt bike shop, the 8.5" they refer to is probably the distance between the cones on their balancing machine. This is the widest wheel they can balance from wheel spacer to wheel spacer on the axle centerline. This does sound a bit short for the FJR's rear, but I have not taken my off yet, so I can't be more specific. I'm going to remove my rear wheel on Wed for a tire change, so I'd be happy to measure it then.

As to whether the dirt bike shop can do a good job, it is all a matter of technique and whether they have the apporpriate tire changing tools that won't scratch up your rims. Can't advise you there, but I'd be nervous unless you know the shop is competent and caring.

My advice would be:

1. Order the tires yourself - you can get a good set mail order for about $225 shipped to your door. But you migiht want to let the shop know that you are considering this - they may be willing to a lower price to keep your business. (If they act snotty about your trying to save money by ordering your own tires, I'd tell them to go jump in a lake - I have no issue with a shop saying that their policy is not to mount customer-supplied tires, but the attitude some of them bring to the table on this issue is unacceptable to me.)

2. If you don't want to remove your own wheels, pay the $100 to have your shop do the job. That's still $325 total which is a lot cheaper than $500.

3. If you can remove your wheels, try and find someone in your area which will mount/balance for about $25 a wheel or less.

It is a bit of work, but a few years back, I invested the time and tools to do my own changes. It's cave-man mechanics, but very satisfying to spend $225 total for a tire change and do the job right without having to go anywhere. (I'll go through five or six sets of tires on my various bikes, so the savings really add up.) The tool investment is basically getting the right tire irons, rim protectors, and a balancing stand - everything else is scrounged. There are great references on the net about how to do it.

Good luck,

- Mark

I use a custom independent Harley shop for my FJR tire mounting...they have state-of-the-art mounting equipment (a $6K Italian job) that is no-touch...

I pay $25 for mount, $35 for mount and balance (for two tires), but I almost aways do my own balancing unless I'm in a real hurry. Plus, the girl behind the counter is an instant hard-on...

This is the second indy Harley shop I have used...they're great since they don't stock sport bike tires and really don't want to, so they're not economically threatened when you bring in a set of mail-order Avon Azarros...

Plus, this shop sells $1000 chrome wheels which they really don't want to scratch, and they know how not to...

Removal of the FJR wheels from the bike is a project in itself, though, especially with ABS models...it takes me about an hour to remove both wheels and at least that long to put them back on, plus you'll need a way to elevate the front, plus two torque wrenches (different ranges) to button everything back up, plus big allen-sockets for the front and rear axles...perhaps an investment with limited payback, depending on how many tires you eat up...I go through 2-3 sets of tires per riding season, and already had most of the tools, so it was a no-brainer for me, but maybe not for you...

I'm only average when it comes to mechanical ability, but the first few times (and the most recent) when I took off the wheels, it was tedious...the ABS sensors and my caliper-mounted MotoLights really slow things down.

I want to know how to dismount 'BOTH' wheels.

My favorite shop in the Tri-Cities, Wa. Charges $27.50, off the bike to mount and balance,ea. (love em)!

It might save you some grief, if you need to repair a tire(or replace one) on the side of the road.

Plus, if you can remove the tires, you can install break pads too! :blink:

Ok, ok, I'll pull the wheels myself and take them down to have them changed.

Don't think that will do much for the hernia surgery I had last month though, or the other side waiting to get sliced. Which is a big reason why I didn't want to fight the rubber.

There is a very nice chopper shop in town that sells chrome wheels. I didn't think to give them a call. That's a great idea. I briefly thought about taking them to the local Harley shop, but those guys border on incompetant, and more than likely they would just glare at me funny with non HD parts, and show me the door.

Take your wheels and tires to a track day or club race (WERA, CCS, etc) where you have confirmed a tire vendor will be present. A lot of these guys will mount and balance your walk-ins for like $10 a piece to take in a little extra cash between the racers buying sticky rubber.

Be willing to wait, the tire vendor's main job is to support the racers, he will get to your wheels when he has a lull in the action. Kick back and enjoy some good racing or squidly track behavior while you wait.

If you are lucky to find a good shop, I find it really doesn’t even pay to waste your time taking them off to save the measly money. My shop charges $17 to change tire if you bring it in or $30 if you take the bike in and have them do it for you while you wait 30 minutes. To me it is hardly worth the effort to save the $12 bucks per tire. They also have a state-of-the-art tire changer that doesn’t scratch your rims.

I would agree, at least in part, with all of these suggestions. I happen to enjoy working on my bikes ('05 FJR, '00 929RR, and '86 VFR) and have purchased many tools along the way, with more to come. Balancing a motorcycle tire is very easy, and there are many sites on the internet for building your own or purchasing various levels of sophisticated tire balancers. Removing and mounting a tire is a bit more work and takes more caution to avoid scratching rims, but again there is a plethora of consumer equipment available at very reasonable prices. Short of wanting to do your own, I would agree you need to find a reputable, reasonably priced shop and bring in the wheels off the bike. If you can't do that, at least remove any plastic around the tires (fenders, huggers, etc.) that may be damaged. You do not necessarily have to take it to a motorcycle shop. There are auto shops the mount tires on very expensive custom wheels that may be more convenient and not gouge you.