Update on my Avon Storm Ultra 2's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redtail

Reaction score
Always have liked a sticky tire. I think it has made up for my lack of skill and over enthusiasm more than once! The Avon Storm has been great until you do some long slab and then they tend to flatten out in the middle pretty quick.

Thus the new Ultra 2 with a harder center rubber.

Seemed pretty much the same to me until this weekend. I rode over the Greenhorn Summit at 6100 something feet. The road being covered with sand and gravel (I presume for traction in the ice) made the 15 mph turns extremely dicey! Even trying to keep the bike upright, the rear still wanted to wash out on the gravel. The soft sides would catch and so the tire did it's job perfect, but it is an absolute adjustment. Took me awhile to be confident and I doubt if I forget it!

Best part is, I had a safe ride all around and the tire shows no sign of flattening out! I think I like it! Probably have to ride some more though! :p

Always have liked a sticky tire. I think it has made up for my lack of skill and over enthusiasm more than once! The Avon Storm has been great until you do some long slab and then they tend to flatten out in the middle pretty quick.

Thus the new Ultra 2 with a harder center rubber.

Seemed pretty much the same to me until this weekend. I rode over the Greenhorn Summit at 6100 something feet. The road being covered with sand and gravel (I presume for traction in the ice) made the 15 mph turns extremely dicey! Even trying to keep the bike upright, the rear still wanted to wash out on the gravel. The soft sides would catch and so the tire did it's job perfect, but it is an absolute adjustment. Took me awhile to be confident and I doubt if I forget it!

Best part is, I had a safe ride all around and the tire shows no sign of flattening out! I think I like it! Probably have to ride some more though! :p

Redtail Hi,

Thanks for the info,on the Ultra 2's.

I'm starting to look for new rubber myself,

looks as though the PR2's are only going to

last 6k. Too bad I like the PR2's except for

mileage. See ya around...............

Redtail Hi,

Thanks also for the info on the Avons...I didn't happen to see a mileage figure in your post.

kman-PR2s are one of the more high mileage tires for the FJR. If you aren't happy with that...you may need to go CT, accept the mileage that you are getting, do less engine braking, or move to an area where road surfaces are less scruffy. I get about 7 to 8k on my PR2s...most seem to get more than me.

Redtail Hi,

Thanks also for the info on the Avons...I didn't happen to see a mileage figure in your post.
I've gotten any where from 4000 to 9000, even got over 10,000 on a front although I probably pushed it!

As with any sticky tire, especially on a heavy bike with this kind of power, it's not too hard to get aggressive and wear the tires off really quick!

The time I only got 4000, I had taken a multi day trip with a ton of slab and once in a lifetime twisties! I enjoyed every bit of those tires!

My last two sets were PR2s. Great milage and nice neutral handling. This last set, at 8,700 miles, is really handling funky with famous raise ridge on the front tire. I used to love the Avon Azaros. Haven't run the Storms yet, but I think I'm going to try a set just for the hell of it. Anybody else out there have any input on the Storm 2's?

GP

Anybody else out there have any input on the Storm 2's?
Yes, like the Storm 2's, just about to cash them in at 8975 miles, rear.

Have used the fronts before, but this is the first matched set/rear for me so I kept track of it.

Here's the photo with tread depth at just under wear bar remaining (~1.5/32):

Jan312012011.jpg

I kept track of remaining tread - such uniform wear rate surprised me

TireWearChart-Storm2.jpg

Storm 2 wears evenly, especially the fronts. No raised center edge on 'em as they wear;

I think this is the fourth front for me. Hope all this helps your decision...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody else out there have any input on the Storm 2's?
Yes, like the Storm 2's, just about to cash them in at 8975 miles, rear.

Have used the fronts before, but this is the first matched set/rear for me so I kept track of it.

Here's the photo with tread depth at just under wear bar remaining (~1.5/32):

Jan312012011.jpg

I kept track of remaining tread - such uniform wear rate surprised me

TireWearChart-Storm2.jpg

Storm 2 wears evenly, especially the fronts. No raised center edge on 'em as they wear;

I think this is the fourth front for me. Hope all this helps your decision...
Thanks for the very informative report.

As a comparison, could you tell me what you typically get for other combinations? PR2s?, RoadSmarts?

Just changed out a set of Storm Ultras with a B rear at 6500 miles. I am not an aggressive rider but 80% was two up loaded. I usually get 10,000 out of a rear PR2. Just put on a set of PR3 B so will see how they do this spring and going to BC two up. :yahoo:

Just changed out a set of Storm Ultras with a B rear at 6500 miles. I am not an aggressive rider but 80% was two up loaded. I usually get 10,000 out of a rear PR2. Just put on a set of PR3 B so will see how they do this spring and going to BC two up. :yahoo:
I'm interested in more than just tire life. How did the storms compare to PR's in grip over their life?

I've noticed a real difference with the Storm Ultra, especially when crossing surface levels. With the hard center, it doesn't make a smooth transition! So it might give me a little longer life, but now I have to really watch for the rear grabbing in the lines!

As a comparison, could you tell me what you typically get for other combinations? PR2s?, RoadSmarts?
Front tires - I've been using Storm, and now Storm 2, since soon after they appeared (years).

They've worn smoothly w/o surprises.

Rear tires had had been Avon Azzaros; I liked 'em and bought the 'last several' off Ebay and just went thru them.

On a recommendation, just before the this current Storm 2 rear, I used a PR2 rear and would have gotten 8000 out of it (but changed out at 7200 - upcoming trip)

Lifetime of rears:

Azzaro rears, single compound, (several tires): 5700 mile typical

PR2, dual rubbers (one tire): 8000 miles

Storm 2, dual rubbers (one tire): 9000 miles

Comparison. The PR2 flattened out more/earlier than the Storm 2 has (but I didn't photo PR2);

my perception is that the Storm 2 retains good handling quite a bit longer.

Again, hope it helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Front tires - I've been using Storm, and now Storm 2, since soon after they appeared (years).

They've worn smoothly w/o surprises.

Rear tires had had been Avon Azzaros; I liked 'em and bought the 'last several' off Ebay and just went thru them.

On a recommendation, just before the this current Storm 2 rear, I used a PR2 rear and would have gotten 8000 out of it (but changed out at 7200 - upcoming trip)

Lifetime of rears:

Azzaro rears, single compound, (several tires): 5700 mile typical

PR2, dual rubbers (one tire): 8000 miles

Storm 2, dual rubbers (one tire): 9000 miles

Comparison. The PR2 flattened out more/earlier than the Storm 2 has (but I didn't photo PR2);

my perception is that the Storm 2 retains good handling quite a bit longer.

Again, hope it helps.
Thanks for the mileage comparison between the tires...that's useful information to me.

I'm interested in more than just tire life. How did the storms compare to PR's in grip over their life?

I've noticed a real difference with the Storm Ultra, especially when crossing surface levels. With the hard center, it doesn't make a smooth transition! So it might give me a little longer life, but now I have to really watch for the rear grabbing in the lines!
So you're saying that the center tread is so hard that the rear tire tends to spin in curves until the grippier side catches and kicks in and grabs? That could be a little disconcerting!

So you're saying that the center tread is so hard that the rear tire tends to spin in curves until the grippier side catches and kicks in and grabs? That could be a little disconcerting!
Not so much that it spins in every turn, just that with certain conditions (wet or sand/gravel), the rear is more likely to "step out". The sides grabbed and I was on my way but , yes, it is a little disconcerting! It seems subtle enough that I may just be able to anticipate it and live with that part.

The one that puckers me up is when it gets caught in a groove or an uneven patch of blacktop! The original Storm was always planted and with the Storm 2 I'm aware of the center section.

Understand that I'm no test rider for tires. My skills are only decent. I've been riding for 20 years, starting on a couple of Honda 400's and then 10 years on a Honda V65 Sabre 1100 before getting the FJR in 2005. I've only been on a handful of other bikes, and I'm completely self taught, so I've always favored good grip over long life!

The concept is right on though as the FJR does like to eat tires and I find myself riding farther instead of faster!

My first set of Avon Storm Ultra 2s and it looks like milage is no better than the PR2s for me. My front is almost shot on the sides @ 3500 miles. The rear isn't fairing any better. Center has tread still, but the sides are already nearly gone. Rats, I was hoping for 5-6k at least. Now the handling hasn't completely disappeared yet like it does on the PR2s, but we'll see here in the next 100 miles or so.

And to answer the usual. I live in the Santa Monica Mountains so I am in curves every day. Not overweight, solo rider, not particularly aggressive, etc. The bike just chews them up unless you're a flatlander.

My first set of Avon Storm Ultra 2s and it looks like milage is no better than the PR2s for me. My front is almost shot on the sides @ 3500 miles. The rear isn't fairing any better. Center has tread still, but the sides are already nearly gone. Rats, I was hoping for 5-6k at least. Now the handling hasn't completely disappeared yet like it does on the PR2s, but we'll see here in the next 100 miles or so.

And to answer the usual. I live in the Santa Monica Mountains so I am in curves every day. Not overweight, solo rider, not particularly aggressive, etc. The bike just chews them up unless you're a flatlander.
Topanga,

1. How do YOU compare the grip to the PR2s?
  2. Is the mileage better or worse than the PR2s? 10% less? 50%less? 10% more? 50% more?