What a great ride on the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsulas!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salish1300

Reaction score
As a Bainbridge Island based rider, I tend to do my joy rides on the Kitsap and Olympic Peninsulas. Not a bad stomping ground. I've been taking pleasure rides in various locations for years, but did a combination ride yesterday that was just outstanding. There are endless great variations, but this is one that I just linked and will repeat in the future.

From Bainbridge, you leave over the bridge (by the way, if you take a ferry that is at all busy, I would recommend you stop in Winslow for ice cream or something rather than sitting in the traffic jam leaving the island. Give it 20-30 minutes, and you will have smooth sailing) and take your first right on Suquamish Way NE which turns into Miller Bay Road. A lovely water side road that is prelude to the later offerings. You get up to 104 near Kingston, and if you like you can cruise up to Foulweather Bluff, but on this route you turn left as you are headed toward Port Gamble.

Port Gamble is as scenic a town as you can find. Right on the water, and because it is an old logging company town that is still wholly owned by the company, they have been able to maintain it as an authentic looking and scenic place. I have issues with their monopoly but must admit they have created a wonderful tourist location. Stop and have lunch in the water view park at the very tip of the point. The gardens are lovely, and the local shops are worth a visit.

Back on your bike you cross over the Hood Canal Bridge, itself a scenic wonder, and take your first right again on Paradise Bay Road. You take this lovely rural road all the way around to Port Ludlow, where you can stretch your legs if you wish, and then continue further on Oak Bay Road up to Hwy 116 onto Indian Island and Marrowstone Island.

Marrowstone is as scenic and friendly as can be, and two parks warrant a stop. Mystery Bay State Park is a lovely little place on the water, and further along, Fort Flagler State Park is among the best in the State. Go to Fort Flagler and either go down to the beach, or stay up top and enjoy the huge old parade grounds where you can toss a frisbee or read a book while watching kite flyers and looking out over Puget Sound and the Cascades.

Google says this trip is 43 miles each way. On a pleasant day, you could not have a more pleasant and twisty ride here on the wet side. Little towns to stop in, nice places to rest, incredible views, no traffic, and good roads. No end of lovely things to do.

Happy miles to you all.

3015_this_20thread_20is_20useless_20without_20pichers.jpg

Nice PNW day yesterday...the mountains were out all around the sound!

Spent most of the day on Whidbey enjoying the views - though I was bike-less.
sadsmiley.gif

--G

Nice narrative for those of us living around this section of the PNW, I will file it away in my possibles folder. Went N., pioneer hwy stuff, brunch at the Farmhouse, wandered home Edison way, then bow hill road, east to F&S grade road , south on 9 from Sedro to Arlington, south on Jordan rd, Machias to Snohomish, gas and home by 1500hrs to prep for grandkids today. Mountains that rim us were stunning as usual, glad when passes get practical to head East.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, sadly, I have no pictures. And this is an awesome photo creation. We are so fortunate to have magnificent riding country here in the PNW.
I spent 10 months in that neck of the woods back in '88-'89, I love that part of the country
Don't suppose you were Navy? Biggest employer and reason for people passing through this area is Navy. My older brother was on a fast attack sub out of here for 8 years. Well, when they weren't underwater for 6 months looking for trouble.

Latest posts