iPhone 5 as GPS?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riona

Reaction score
I'm new to my FJR and new to the PNW. Result - getting lost, having to pull over, fumble my iPhone out of my pocket, look up directions, put everything away again, go a bit further, get lost again, ....

A couple of FJR owners (Harald and Marcus, take a bow, Gentlemen) have shown me their Garmin Zumo installs, but I quail a bit at the price.

Anyone have any experience mounting their iPhone as a GPS ? I see there are waterproof cases and motorcycle mounts for the iPhone 5 available from RAM, among others.

Alternatively, anyone got a source for cheap Zumo's ?

Thanks, Riona

I too couldn't afford the zumo so went for a refurb 1490 lmt from Walmart( if I recall about $125). Not perfect , as not waterproof, but i bought a ram waterproof cover for it, and others I know Carry a pastic zip Baggie they cover it with, course PNW is a Little wetter than nor cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I too went the walmart.com route. Got a garmin 785 for $170 a few yrs back. Does everything I need and more. And yes, ziplok baggies work just fine but if you really want one I have an AquaBox I've never used and would be willing to part with.

If you do use the iPhone as a GPS, you NEED a power source because the battery is not going to last very long. I prefer a regular GPS but the iPhone 5 does have turn by turn navigation so it should be better (I have the iPhone 5 but I still prefer my Garmin 3790LMT). I still have to install the Techmount I ordered over the winter months to complete my setup (I want to avoid the tank bag).

iirc, iPhones have what's commonly called, A-GPS, which means 'assisted gps'. This feature requires cellular connectivity, and uses more power, and more importantly, your data time.

If you plan on travelling outside of cell tower range, you need a stand-alone GPS, or an active GPS receiver, which can communicate with your iPhone via Bluetooth. Note that here again, the iPhone has limited Bluetooth capability, so be sure to purchase a GPS receiver/antenna that can 'talk' to the iPhone. A friend has one of these for his iPhone.

My Samsung Galaxy S3 has GPS capablilty, but I find the addition of a Bluetooth receiver, in my case, a Globalsat, greatly increases accuracy and satellite 'lock'.

And the reason I like my GPS over the iPhone 5 is that if there is no cellular coverage, I don't have to worry about not getting any maps (no cell coverage, you can't obtain maps on the iPhone). You will have a GPS fix, just no maps (which defeats the purpose of having a GPS aid). If you are roaming, the iPhone will cost you big time... no such thing with a GPS.

OK - I've gone off that idea !

Trolling Walmart.com for a cheap Garmin and a baggie for when it rains ...

Thanks, FJR Forum !

I too went the walmart.com route. Got a garmin 785 for $170 a few yrs back. Does everything I need and more. And yes, ziplok baggies work just fine but if you really want one I have an AquaBox I've never used and would be willing to part with.
Just trolled WMART and got a refurb 2595LMT for 129.90 ... 5.0 inch display, lifetime maps and all ... Its 3.3 x 5.4 x 0.6, so should fit into an Aquabox.

Now I just need to water proof it and mount it. Might take your AquaBox off your hands - would it allow me to feed the Garmin with power from my 12V aux ? drill and grommet a small hole to run the power cable through without compromising the water-tight seal too much ?

The aqua box I got has 3 foam fillers that I passed the wire through, then out the middle, which can be punched out, or drilled out and then place a ram mount over the hole which seals the back , you could add silicone to be100% sure,

I use a USb cable with a right angle mini USB to plug in the back of the gps I have pics if that would help, but I'm on my iPad and posting pics is a little more difficult

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few apps for the iPhone 4, 4s, and 5 that loads all of the maps in memory, over 5 gigs worth of maps. Garmin makes an app, Garmin U.S.A., that I like a lot. I use my iPhone connected via bluetooth for music, podcasts, and GPS. The GPS app is a power hog so it needs to be charged while you ride on a trip. If it rains I can use a waterproof case or run it in the tank bag. I can use my bluetooth headset to control the music but not the GPS app. Gloves don't work on the iPhone touch screen, bummer. It is my main GPS for point to point travel. However I don't think it will do custom routes and lots of my trips are on small backroads or with routes that map on my computer and download. If my GPS didn't do custom routes the iphone would be my main GPS. The Garmin GPS app, Garmin U.S.A., cost $39 so it is not cheap. I still use my Garmin 276c for my main GPS.

OK - I'm getting there ! GPS in AquaBox, charging from Gen-II cigarette outlet via port in Aquabox. Mount using RAM mount.

I would have liked to use the RAM mount that bolts to the clutch reservoir --- https://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055052085/Default.aspx

But I have an AE, so no clutch reservoir. I guess I could mount it over on the RHS brake reservoir instead ... but that leaves a trailing wire from the glovebox on the LHS fairing

Anyone got a good suggestion for a RAM attachment point for an 09 AE ?

Couple options; First is to replace the stem nut with one tapped for a Ram Ball. Second is install a mount off the two bolts at the front of the gas tank.

See this thread for info on the latter.

--G

OK - I'm getting there ! GPS in AquaBox, charging from Gen-II cigarette outlet via port in Aquabox. Mount using RAM mount.
I would have liked to use the RAM mount that bolts to the clutch reservoir --- https://www.rammount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055052085/Default.aspx

But I have an AE, so no clutch reservoir. I guess I could mount it over on the RHS brake reservoir instead ... but that leaves a trailing wire from the glovebox on the LHS fairing

Anyone got a good suggestion for a RAM attachment point for an 09 AE ?
Here's how I have installed the Zümo 660 on my AE. The bracket came with the kit, just needed to file off the shifter case a bit to get the U bolt around the handlebar.

dVwMgOn.jpg

yD5m2FF.jpg

ZKRKl7a.jpg

iPhones do NOT require cell coverage to work as full featured GPS units. In fact they are far superior to standard GPS units in many ways in my opinion

1). Can run multiple apps simultaneously (instead of only the native app on a dedicated GPS unit)

2). Is a phone - don't need an extra gadget

3). Lifeproof case makes them waterproof - much more compact than Aquaboxes

4). Can actually send tracks and locations out directly (this one does require cell connection)

5). If you've got an iPhone you don't have to spend much more $ - fee apps work, maybe you spend $20-30 for a better one. I use Navigon which is very nice

Power connectivity is a draw - anything running GPS chips drains quickly.

I used an iPhone last summer on a 4500 mile trip through the west, probably 90%+ of the time out of cell coverage and it performed flawlessly.