Will my 2005 FJR go up over a curb

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James Burleigh

Reaction score
...curb?

When I was in high school we learned the Smith Rules of Driving, which includes "Leave yourself an out." I think that's great advice for motorcycle riders.

In one of my "What's the worst thing that could happen" scenarios, I'm being chased by a psychopath in a cage because of some imagined slight during commute hours when we're all a little TENSE!
omg2.gif
And so I look at sidewalk curbs and wonder, "Is that an escape path?"

Or would I just crash my bike and get run over?

Will an '05 FJR clear a standard curb? (Please provide video with your response.
black%20eye.gif
)

typical%20curb%20and%20walk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Hans

Depends on the height of the curb, but it has to be pretty low. I could do a low one on the FJR and scraped the pipes on another.

And if there is any speed at all, you are going to bend the wheels, and possibly blow the tire. Street tires don't have as stiff a sidewall as dirt bike tires and the FJR is a big girl.

Didn't Galaxy Blue punch his oil pan a couple years ago curb-hopping? There's a pic here somewhere...

Unless it's a small curb, I wouldn't do it for the reasons Checks mentioned plus the possibility of a cracked pan.

--G

it crosses almost all standard curbs just fine. I always straddle the bike after getting the front tire up on it to give it more clearance.

However onetime I crossed one of those dividers between different parking lots and I got hung up on the middle of the bike and it was not going anywhere until I unpacked the 60lbs of gear on it.

I've banged the cat's on speedbumps before. Use driveways and wheelchair ramps to go up and a quick wheelie to go down. The other problem you face is the need to hit a curb perpendicular, or close to it. Hitting a curb at an acute angle is a good way to get your tires knocked out from under you, like crossing RR tracks.

The best approach would be to crest the curb with the front wheel in the air, dropping the wheelie just as the rear tire contacts the curb.You did describe a life or death need to escape
wink.png
I have to concur with this. Best to pull up ont he bars so only the rear tire hits and not the front or exhaust or fairing lower. In fact, the safe and prudent thing to do would be to practice doing wheelies a bunch before the need arises!

Best to find a different escape.

I used to roll my sportbike up on the sidewalk using carlson_mn's technique, but it must be done pretty slowly. If you have to go over the curb slowly, you'll be run over by the time it's done. Find a better way to avoid the rager cager.

My answer? No it won't. I may clear a curb if you're coming off it and carry enough speed to avoid the undercarriage. It will NOT clear a curb going up it from the road. Heck, it won't clear when coming off one either unless you're doing about 20 or so mph and goose it some as your front tire leaves the edge.

The point about needing to hit it at 90 degrees is another issue. Any angle attack will trap the front wheel, whip the rear wheel around, then bring the bike to a flopping halt while flinging you off like a high side. (DAMHIK:IJK:OK? [but it was on a Wing]).

Check our the repercussions of THAT little dealio:

surgery.jpg

Don't do it, the psychopath will be coming after you anyway (over that same curb); maybe a short burst of acceleration, hard brake and shoot for a quick reversal of direction.

Your pysho's ability to jump the curb is much better than yours. An attempt to outrun him this way is a an irresponsible -- if not a losing proposition. Why? The time it takes to slow down to try to accomplish this would be better spent this way: just stop or ditch the bike (as time allows), get off and run.

Remember he's not after the bike, he's after YOU. Worst case scenario: his fists won't do as much damage to you as his car will.

Back to your curb scenario: if there's any compression at all of your suspension during a curb hop, your exhaust pipes will lose this game. Better idea: (forgive me if I sound like most of us lecturing our sons) ...don't drive like the idiot that (supposedly) created this dilemma. It is nearly impossible that a motorcyclist would find himself in a situation like this that he didn't indeed CREATE.

For most of us older guys, this scenario is entertaining. I get that. But for way to many younger riders (many of which will read this) the "How many ways can I outrun trouble" kind of thinking might get them killed, or someone else as well. As we all know well, an FJR in the hands of someone bent on out running or out maneuvering a road rager-cager is a serious danger to all involved.

Sorry to take on a serious note for something intended to be fun, but though most of us can enjoy imagining what might happen here, foolish eyes need to be reminded that there's good reason why us older fellers ride the way we do.

Now that the teacher and the father in me is done flapping his lips, a lighter machine driven by a professional could indeed bunny hop this curb. See it done here:

Gary

darksider #44

If indeed you're running from a maniac in an area that has curbs, and not just road shoulders, then somewhere within a few seconds there will be a residential or commercial driveway ramp, or a side street. I guess I spend my spare time thinking more about the smooth, soft, curvy female form than about some action-movie based, highly improbable stunt-double situation.

Maybe I'm just odd that way.

Any time you are thinking of jumping the big FJ just remember "momentum is your friend".

A fish rises to the bait...

...When I was in high school we learned the Smith Rules of Driving, which includes "Leave yourself an out." I think that's great advice for motorcycle riders...In one of my "What's the worst thing that could happen" scenarios, I'm being chased by a psychopath in a cage because of some imagined slight during commute hours when we're all a little TENSE!...Will an '05 FJR clear a standard curb? (Please provide video with your response...
Leaving an out and fear of imminent death are two different things. Yes, always have an out available and be in gear if stopped so you can take that out.

If you are facing imminent death then all options are on the table, even if it results in a hole in the oil pan or bent rims. Jumping a curb at any time, including life saving is a bad choice and will typically have a bad outcome in addition to not alleviating your potential death.

An '05 FJR will not clear CA curbs, or Atlanta granite curbs but may clear some AZ residential curbs which are just shallow curves that go down. In NH there are no curbs so that isn't a consideration, but the trees and boulders that line the road are.

The requested video seconds after realizing that curb jumping an '05 FJR is a bad idea:

OUCH!

What happens to the oil pan:

IMAG0361.jpg

A good towing plan will not only rescue our FJR, but it will supply moral support to see that there is a happy ending.

IMG_6349.jpg

Better idea: (forgive me if I sound like most of us lecturing our sons) ...don't drive like the idiot that (supposedly) created this dilemma. It is nearly impossible that a motorcyclist would find himself in a situation like this that he didn't indeed CREATE.
I'll agree to this on the most part, and while I HAVE on occasion ridden like a bit of an ass, it CAN happen that you didn't do anything. I'd just left watching my brother in law play a baseball game and was just tooling down a street in the middle lane of three going my direction through a residential area. Next thing I know a pickup truck comes speeding up and as he flies by me in my lane I get pelted with beer bottles. He attempted to start playing games....

Don't do it, the psychopath will be coming after you anyway (over that same curb); maybe a short burst of acceleration, hard brake and shoot for a quick reversal of direction.
This is what got me out, I picked up the speed, then hard braked and pulled a tight right turn across the lanes (after checking to make sure they were clear) down a side street and laid on the gas. A few hard brakes/turn/gas situations and I was long gone. I know for sure I didn't do anything and they were just a-holes looking to mess with someone. Their jacked up truck would have gone over a curb WAY easier than my bike.

In the end, know what advantages you have and what disadvantages you have and be ready to employ the right ones. Going over a curb on a motorcycle isn't usually going to be an advantage unless you are riding a supermoto. Your size, and ability to change velocity and direction will be your advantages.

Congratulations Hans, you succeeded in doing what few others have done.

Just wanted you to know that I know how hard you're laughing right now.

Mark

Congratulations Hans, you succeeded in doing what few others have done.

Just wanted you to know that I know how hard you're laughing right now.

Mark
Brother Hans I don't know why these FJR Forum Jackasses cannot be more helpful regarding your simple question, the answer to your question is a resounding YES! However as GB Adam can fully explain to you, you can only do it ONCE! jes' sayin' and nuff said!

IMG_20100919_162636.jpg

If you are running for your life then you would have a much better chance of escaping a maniac by using your throttle, brakes and smaller size because that is where you have an advantage over most cars. An FJR can out accelerate and out brake a typical car and can duck between large objects like cars and trees.

If you are running for your life then you would have a much better chance of escaping a maniac by using your throttle, brakes and smaller size because that is where you have an advantage over most cars. An FJR can out accelerate and out brake a typical car and can duck between large objects like cars and trees.
Gunny! +1K.

A 50 Cal also works wonders mounted on the machine.

... Although I do like Adams support team...

IMG_6349.jpg

Latest posts