Farkles off the shelf and onto the bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graler

Reaction score
Spent the last two weekends taking stuff that had been sitting on the shelf waiting to be installed and installed them. The fuse block (eastern beaver) being in place sure made things easier. Added the Xmount and wiring (from the glove box). Rewired the Zumo to "hot" all of the time. Added the heated grip controller - sandwiched between the Garauld Reservoir mount and the reservoir (on top of the rubber between). The Reservoir mount is usually used for a radar detector - mine will hold the spot. The spot is anchored with some 3M dual lock. Hey I work for 3M have to use the sticky stuff somewhere. Created the cutout and wired the datel volt meter in the grip heater stock location on the left. The volt meter runs through the fuse block. I have read somewhere that this does not show the most accurate reading - it was easy to put it on a switch port and not have to worry about an auxiliary switch.

I did not escape the install with out a couple self inflicted smacks to the noggin. Not once, not twice, but three times I ran wires and hooked something up only to discover that they weren't working. In all three cases I neglected installing a fuse in the slot in the fuse block. What a knob! All in all I am pretty darn happy with the results. The grips are wired but the actual grips are not installed yet. Having no experience removing and installing grips still has me procrastinating. Funny most people are probably intimidated by all of the wiring - that is a piece of cake. You should have been here to witness the nerves before I touched the dremel to that little piece of plastic in the dash. Once the initial cut was made it was full speed ahead.

my two brain cells have a hard time figuring how to get down the road. Nice stuff but I would spend too much energy looking at

all of that cool stuff & run off the road in a New York minute.

Ignore the naysayers and there will be plenty of them. Obviously you're proud of your work and it looks like you've done a good job. Getting all that stuff wired and working together is a feat. I know what you mean about being nervous cutting into plastic. I'll wire stuff all day long because if I screw that up, I can fix that with a little wire and solder. Once I start modifying things that can't go back, I get apprehensive.

Curiosity, if you have the Zumo, why the phone cradle? Wouldn't the Zumo take care of most of the same functionality? Or is that mount for charging purposes mainly?

Also, love the 700S in your avatar!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am rather particular when it comes to music while I ride. The zumo only has the capability to stream in mono. I use the zumo for routing and the phone BT for music both onboard and stream from pandora or Iheart radio as well as calls. Having the phone where I can see it allows me to see who is calling and make a decision to answer or not.

Got an air compressor? Shooting air under the grips expands them. While the air is blowing your can lightly grip them and pull them off. It takes about a minute per side.Reverse the process to put them back on.

I've never used any adhesive though. So if your current setup is glued down, I yield to the chemists in the room.

I do not have an air compressor at the moment but this might be a catalyst for making that happen. I have always used one of those basic tire inflators but have never pulled the trigger on a real compressor. I have looked at the small pancake compressors as well as the hot dog or dual hot dog tank compressors. All are in the 3 gal or less category. How much is enough? Is there a difference in performance between a single tank / dual tank setup? The function would be to primarily inflate tires - there are other various functions - given that I do not own any air tools at the moment that is it.

I have a Sears Craftsman 3HP, 125psi, 3 Gal, oil lubricated that I run off the single 110vac circuit in my rented garage. Works fine for tires, marginal for a 3/8" ratchet, might be OK with a 1/4" but I haven't bothered. Used regularly for FJR tires and car tires. Similar to this one: https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-gallon-portable-air-compressor/p-00915362000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3 I do wish I had bought one with a higher SCFM rating for powering an air ratchet for car maintenance. No issues otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Grab one of these at Harbor Freight only $3 (or similar at Sears... any tool place that sells air tools). - sorry for the size of the pic.

image_14005.jpg

Grab one of these at Harbor Freight only $3 (or similar at Sears... any tool place that sells air tools). - sorry for the size of the pic.
Absolutely get one of these. That combined with the air makes grips incredibly easy. Just make sure to insulate the left side grip. I wrapped mine up in electrical tape to prevent the heat from the grips to transfer directly to the bar. Helps the grip be more effective. Throttle side doesn't need it because the throttle is a plastic sleeve over the bar.

Awesome - that is exactly the answer I was looking for. Now to find a little time to procure the compressor and then take a stab at installing grips.