Sleeping pad recommendation for camping?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When tenting it is a Big Agnes bag with an Exped rectangle pad stuffed in the the bag sleeve.

When hanging, well, it is more comfy with downy goodness.

On my trip to Yukon/AK I only brought the hammock and only went to ground once.

I have a big Agnes bag and therma rest pad that fits in the pocket of the bag. This year I went and bought a single blow up mattress and a air pump. Cheap air mattress is more comfortable and packs smaller also allows me to turn over and or reposition during the night. Therma rest does allow you not to need air pump. John if you decide to go thermo-rest pm me and I'll send you my thermo-rest. Your welcome to try it out. I will be at rec springs resort this winter snowmobiling you could pick it up . Just a thought..

As a side sleeper, it is my hips and shoulder that require padding.

Poolboytoo: I'd love to try your Thermarest pad when you're out here this winter. When are you coming?

I have camped close to 300 nights from a motorcycle (sometimes in a gravel parking lot) and most of those nights were spent on a Therm-a-rest Basecamp model (75x25x2). However, I find that the $15 6" thick air mattresses are more comfortable and only slightly less bulky to pack. The downside of a air mattress is that you need to carry a small 12V pump and it doesn't offer much protection from ground chill on a cold night (which can be offset by a non-goose down sleeping bag).

+1 on the Exped. I used Thermarests for many years and they can't compare to the Exped for comfort, insulation, durability and small packed size.

The one I have is the Exped Synmat 7 which has synthetic insulation and insulates almost as well as the down version but is significantly less expensive.

One of the secrets to successfully using any air mattress is to not overinflate it. It should be "limp" when it has the correct pressure. It just needs to barely keep your butt off the ground when you're on your back.

I have recently started using the Thermarest Neo-air pump for inflation. It uses a AAA battery and will inflate the Exped to the correct pressure in about two minutes. Here's a link: https://www.rei.com/search.html?q=thermarest+pump&ir=q%3Athermarest+pump&page=1

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of those are ridiculously expensive. If you have a Big 5 Sporting goods near you, try one of these:

They are usually on sale for less than the $59.95...

I've only used the one I have only twice, but it rolls up small and protects you from laying on rocks or other hard objects protruding on the bottom of the tent...

I have an alps mountaineering featherlite pad. It works great. Has a built in pump, is comfy and packs up small. You can get them from sierra trading post for $50 or less if you find a coupon.

I use a Thermarest LuxuryLite Cot, and it works GREAT...but this would be a great alternative, at half the price.
https://www.amazon.com/OUTAD-Lightweight-Folding-Camping-Capacity/dp/B019OFR6A8/ref=pd_lpo_468_bs_t_2?_encoding=UTF8&refRID=H2AM7938FATXXGPV6X6K&th=1&psc=1
I also have the Thermarest cot and I like it. The link you provided is clearly a knockoff of the Thermarest. I like the fact that the "feet" are rounded plastic and much easier on tent floors than the typical legs on camping cots.

Agree, Small twin coleman bout $20 at Walmart. Small twin leaves more room in the tent. If it leaks I toss it and buy another. How far is a walmart? Stay plenty warm MOTORCYCLE camping! I carry a small 12 V pump and I keep a 12 volt pocket size gel cell charged from the bike pigtail, easy to inflate in the tent and it runs LED lights for as long as I care to read at night.

PS most folks way over inflate air mattresses, enough air so your butt or hip doesn't hit, done.

Last edited by a moderator:
John, I sent both my air mattress and therma-rest last monday, you should have received it yesterday or today. I would blow up the air mattress and then let out about an 1/8th to start. Good luck. hope it helps.

John, I sent both my air mattress and therma-rest last monday, you should have received it yesterday or today. I would blow up the air mattress and then let out about an 1/8th to start. Good luck. hope it helps.
Got them, will do as you sugest

Got them, will do as you sugest
Man them Iowa boys are helpful and fun to drink beer with.

Exped 9 synthetic. Rolls up smaller than a football. Built in pump inflates the bag in about 2 minutes. Not inexpensive, tho.