2012 Electrical woes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sapest

Reaction score
Bike is Canadian 2012, approx 38,000 km.

Started the bike today and both turn signal indicators on dash light up. Using the turn signal switch causes the selected signal to pulse the bright bulb filament, while the running lamp (low) filament remains lit. Hazard flasher switch result is the same, but both on bulbs. This is with engine running.

With ignition on but motor not running, turn signals work correctly. Hazard flashers work, but neutral and high beam dashboard indicators flash in concert with indicator flash.

Oh, and no headlights. . . .

Checked fuses, signal relay, and battery voltage. Checked connector on lower left side front cowl, 'just in case'. Bike is now at dealers, all plastic off with 3 mechs staring, and "wtf" looks on their faces.

Any helpful suggestions ?

Thx

- Steve

Under of the tank and of the T bar in the front area has some connectors there.

Have a look there if they are in good condition,pull out them and spray some contact spray on the contacts.

Perhaps the problem is there..

Last edited by a moderator:
A spider bite ?, maybe the S6 or the front cowling connector #3.

How's the operation of the windscreen & horn ?

As Mihalis suggested there are 4 front cowling harnesses to check.

it's not the typical symptoms of the S6, strange ???

Spiders.jpg

Almost certainly a grounding problem. In addition to the spiders, there are some connectors that might be suspected. In particular, there is one near "S6" on the left side in the nose. See my thread https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158418-itsy-bitsy-spider/ At least two people have had that one and it is unrelated to the typical grounding connectors. It can be a bit hard to spot, especially if the "burn" is on the backside of the connector. Good luck!

How's about we just verify the battery terminals are tight and the battery's good before getting too deep? If that's all good, I'd go after connectors next.

S7 is the winner. Cooked on one side, photo to follow. Thx for all the suggestions and information. -Steve
Well, so much for Yamaha having fixed the problem. Do you have any electrical mods that may have "enhanced" this failure?

S7 is the winner. Cooked on one side, photo to follow. Thx for all the suggestions and information. -Steve
Welcome to the very exclusive "S7 Spider Bite Club!" I'll be getting top secret membership information in the mail to your shortly. :yahoo:

I had the same failure on my 2007 FJR as I reported here:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=124616&st=0

I thought the recall should have fixed spider problems, but apparently they will still rear their ugly heads on newer bikes that are supposed to be cured. I'll link to this thread on a thread I started years ago to track spider bites other than the most common S4 spider:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=139511

I'd suggest making a report to the Canadian version of the NHTSA (the US Highway safety agency) so that if this develops into a bigger problem a recall can be issued to fix what can be a serious safety issue.

My 09 same symptoms. My bite was S8, I assume. It was under pass. side headlight. Fixed mine last Saturday. And it does have the recall. No mods.

Reply to rPGoatBoy -

Hyperlites as extra brake lights only. GPS and horn, on their own circuits. Plug for heated gear (not used at the time of failure, but soon!)

-Steve

Glad that you found where the problem was.

I wonder if the Gen1 has these ground spiders somewhere..

I have never read something about..