RIP Beemerdons

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
His sister-in-law posted on FB that plan is for funeral this Thursday 12/31 10am (not confirmed yet)_

^^^^^^^ Bought a bottle of Bushmills for the weekend and spilled some last night in his honor. Wasn't sure if that was his label, but the tequila went quickly and I'm sure he enjoyed all labels of tequila.
His shoulder is no longer bothering him, and I wonder if there are K-bikes in heaven.
When Don and I were last in touch, he and another fellow were recommending Bushmills Black, and I seem to remember that the 10 year old Bushmills was also on their list.

I had bought a 10 year old Tullamore DEW, but they were promoting the Bushmills.

So ... the other day I bought a bottle of the 10 year old Bushmills for comparison.

Both bottles are lighter at this point. Can't do enough comparos when the result is so critical.
drinks.gif

What's the verdict? The jury is still out. More comparos are needed. But my first impression is that the 10 year old Tullamore DEW with its four cask finishing is more complex, and a bit more syrupy. You can taste each of the barrels. I am not saying this is a good thing. I'm still smacking my lips in judgement.

The 10 year old Bushmills has a two cask finish, and I think it is closer to the intent of Irish Whiskey, which in my view is to make a whiskey so readily gulpable that it is hard to stop pouring once you've started.
lazy.gif

I've discovered that they have 16 year old and 21 year old Bushmills too. But the 21 year old, at $96 a fifth, was sold out. It must be mighty good
unsure.png

Holiday has kept me off the forums, but I want to extend my sympathies to Don's friends and family, both real-life and electronic. Knowing him only through this forum, I was looking forward to meeting this larger-than-life guy, who seemed to be everywhere all at once, at Red Lodge next summer. Instead, I'll drink a toast to his memory.

Prayers and comfort to Donna, Seth, and all feeling this loss.

His sister-in-law also posted"

Seth decided it would be most appropriate to have Don buried in his motorcycle gear! And, Seth wanted his dad's "go to" Hawaiian shirt placed in his casket. Seth also chose the burial spot in the Veteran's section under a "mature" tree, as well as a new tree. He said, " I think Dad would like the rebirth of the new tree to follow the circle of life."

Don was sharing Jamison's at EOM, but any Irishman knows Bushmills Black or Green is the good stuff. Tullamore Dew is a mild Irish whiskey kept as a decoy for those that don't know the difference.

Thanks for the update Marcus. Heartbreaking, but Seth has to pass through this phase of grief, and his involvement is good for him, and sounds exactly right for Don.

Don was sharing Jamison's at EOM, but any Irishman knows Bushmills Black or Green is the good stuff. Tullamore Dew is a mild Irish whiskey kept as a decoy for those that don't know the difference.
Thanks for the update Marcus. Heartbreaking, but Seth has to pass through this phase of grief, and his involvement is good for him, and sounds exactly right for Don.
Bushmills Black and Bushmills 10 year old are the two he mentioned the other day.

Nevertheless, someone else pointed out that Bushmills is located in the Orange Country, and Tullamore DEW is legitimate Green Irish Whiskey.

Frankly, I've downed quite a few fifths of different brands, over many decades, and I think regular Tullamore DEW is my favorite of the lot. It is simple, modestly priced, and consistently honest, and legitimately Irish.

Arguing over decent whiskeys is one of the least productive things drinking men can do. Enjoy the bottle that's open, and pass it on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arguing over decent whiskeys is one of the least productive things drinking men can do. Enjoy the bottle that's open, and pass it on.
Well, we like to think whiskey is for drinking, water is for fighting. There have been too many glasses tipped in memory of fondly remembered members of this forum. I'm yet to hear an argument over the choice of whiskey, bourbon or scotch, while remembering the deeds of our dearly departed. We don't argue, however, we are mere mortals, and are prone to expressing our bias. Besides, Don would drink about anything, anywhere when the spirit moved him.

100_0598.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don's feelings about his friends and the fragility of life was expressed in this post from 2012:

When I shook hands with puppychow-Sam on Friday morning and Bugnatr-Doug on Sunday morning, I had no idea of what close calls they would soon be facing out on the open road.

Last October 13 when Seth and I rode off from Torrey, Utah on the Escalante Staircase we each gave ShinyPartsUp a big hug, even though we knew that we would see him for Dinner that evening in Zion National Park. Then 30 minutes later we Stanley Boys cut a mule deer in half on our K1600GT Gisele. Always sincerely appreciate your moto friends and always thank God that they are with you!

9.jpg

The Duke & I were at a scenic stop with the others when Don hit the deer, we had just walked down to the hwy when Don rolled up and said we just hit a dear. I ran up the hill to tell the guys & shinypartsup rode with them back to Torrey & the rest of us continued on the trip knowing they were in good hands with shiny (who has medical training) Kudos to SHINY!

I remember the deer strike very well because it eventually revealed Don's ability to show incredible patience. BMW diddled around and could not get one of the parts needed to repair his bike. They would have just robbed one off the assembly line, but they would not ... at least not for several months.

I wrote a nasty letter to BMW myself on Don's behalf, although the truth is that Don surely had more influence than I had, and if he couldn't get it, I couldn't either.

In the end, Don maintained a high level of loyalty to BMW and exhibited the patience of Job. He was more generous and forgiving than I would have been.

I joined this forum less than a year ago to better know my motorcycle. I am still amazed at what it has added to my life. What everybody here has added to my life. Mr. Stanley was a huge contributor to this site, and has made me smile more than a few times. I feel privileged to have met him at EOM, and my heart breaks for his family and friends.

You will be dearly missed, Sir.

I'm very. very sorry to hear this news. RIP Don.

After speaking with Don's very close friend Brain Boles, I was informed that Don's Funeral date is NOT confirmed just yet.

Don's body is not yet back from Mexico, also because of the date being mentioned of New Years Eve, it could prevent many friends that would like to attend to pay respect to Don, the date is still up in the air. Don's sister and Seth are at the Funeral Home now working out details. However, because of Holidays, it is possible Don's body may not arrive by then.

Once details are finalized, Brian will post on the AZBeemers page, whereas myself or someone that is a member of both sites will pass this info on.

All I can say at the moment is keep the date open for our friend Don Stanley's funeral. Having occurred in Mexico could possibly present delays.

Dan Compton

After speaking with Don's very close friend Brain Boles, I was informed that Don's Funeral date is NOT confirmed just yet.
Don's body is not yet back from Mexico, also because of the date being mentioned of New Years Eve, it could prevent many friends that would like to attend to pay respect to Don, the date is still up in the air. Don's sister and Seth are at the Funeral Home now working out details. However, because of Holidays, it is possible Don's body may not arrive by then.

Once details are finalized, Brian will post on the AZBeemers page, whereas myself or someone that is a member of both sites will pass this info on.

All I can say at the moment is keep the date open for our friend Don Stanley's funeral. Having occurred in Mexico could possibly present delays.

Dan Compton
Thanks for the update, Dan... I was bummed I couldn't be there on 12/31 so am hoping a later date will give more of us a chance to be there to toast our friend.

I'm so sorry to hear this news upon returning from Holiday and checking the forum.

My condolences to Donna and Seth. Don was the greatest and will be greatly missed by all.

Status
Not open for further replies.